Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

This is "My Sheriff" in Boone County Kentucky

Featured Replies

So you're upset he's asking people to responsibly help protect others in the county that don't have a gun? Or you're upset he's asking you to not hesitate to call in with information if you think someone is a threat?

 

Being as that a handful of the terrorists from 9-11-2001 actually lived in Boone County for quite some time before those attacks, it's not as though he's stretching. Folks should we mindful of their surroundings and able to respond/report if need be. Boone Co isn't a resort, it's a community and as much as today's society isolates themselves, citizens should remember a community can overcome a great deal with unity.

First off, I personally do not like to handle guns, but during flu season I always get the vaccine. We no longer live in the world I grew up in and there is a need for private citizens, who are qualified both in safety and marksmanship, to be able to defend themselves, loved ones and neighbors if need be from "the enemy that lurks within ". It may sound jaded but freedom isn't free and it may be time for us to stand our ground in the land we love. I hope my county sheriff feels the same as Boone county's.

  • Replies 130
  • Views 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who knows, who really cares, they are two separate issues and this one is the important one.

 

Several posters (and others outside of BGP) seem to believe Sheriff Helmig's press release was a publicity stunt or an attempt to deflect attention away from the State's investigation. So, while both topics are worthy of separate threads, the issues may be more closely related than you think.

 

For what it's worth, I like the letter.

Who knows, who really cares, they are two separate issues and this one is the important one.

Uh ... no it's not.

 

Allegations of malfeasance in office are less important than a call for people to pack heat? Hardly.

Wasn't there an article online recently that the State was going to look into Helmig double-dipping? Is it possible this was done to get some heat off of him, or is the timing coincidental?

 

My immediate thought when reading the letter was that it seemed oddly political for a sheriff. I started to wonder if he was angling for running for a higher office (I even had an idea for a bumper sticker), but what you said makes sense. It confirms my gut response.

First off, I personally do not like to handle guns, but during flu season I always get the vaccine. We no longer live in the world I grew up in and there is a need for private citizens, who are qualified both in safety and marksmanship, to be able to defend themselves, loved ones and neighbors if need be from "the enemy that lurks within ". It may sound jaded but freedom isn't free and it may be time for us to stand our ground in the land we love. I hope my county sheriff feels the same as Boone county's.

 

Amen. Freedom isn't free, it requires responsibility and awareness among many many other things.

I remember when we (we being all law enforcement in Boone County) transitioned from shot guns in our cars to AR-15s in our cars. The bad guys took notice immediately and it was often a conversation that I had with many "bad guys" from around the Greater Cincy area and beyond. In other words, the word got out real quick, the Police in Florence/Boone County are ready for anything that comes down the block.

 

I would add some additional because it was true and I wanted the bad guys to know (after all the citizens of Boone County/Florence hired me to protect them and I took that responsibility very serious) that the AR-15 they see in my car is just the tip of the iceberg. I told them mine was semi auto but we have several SWAT members with fully automatic versions of the AR-15 and we have other fully automatic weapons for tactical use in our cars. Additionally some of the elite Officers/Deputies had multiple assault weapons with them at all times.

 

It was a DEFINITE deterrent.

 

In regards to your first post, I've hear of bad guys/citizens asking about the AR-15 they see in police cruisers. I personally haven't heard or seen anyone say it was excessive.

 

As to your second paragraph, well played sir. Well played.

Big difference between a hyped local news story that is a video clip and posting a written statement that people have to read.

 

I challenge you to find one person incarcerated that has said: "if only I had paid attention to that letter put out by the Sheriff I wouldn't be here"....

 

You are giving way too much credit to this as a crime deterrent. It's a PR stunt by the Sheriff. I have no issue with the letter, it has an intended audience, but that audience is not the criminal or terrorist element

 

A PR stunt that I already saw on the local television news. I guess bad guys don't watch the news, use social media, or talk to anyone that does. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I loved that show! (The original with Robert Conrad, not the movie with Will Smith).

 

Movie was terrible, song was not quite as bad.

Amen!

 

Too many people went way overboard making suspicious black male calls to the police.

 

Everyone likes to "blame" the police for everything but the suspicious black male stuff was way worse on the part of the citizens.

 

One night I really took notice of it. I must have heard over a dozen calls about a suspicious black males in the area. Often times standing around on their phone texting. After about the 7-8th dispatch to officers I began to realize both the suspicious black male and the officers responding to them were put in bad situations.

 

With that said, officers respond, they look into it and move on accordingly. The same reports of susicious activity should be made, if in fact there is suspicious activity. Being black, yellow, brown or whatever on a street at night isn't suspicious but to each their own. If you call 911, they will come check it out.

Several posters (and others outside of BGP) seem to believe Sheriff Helmig's press release was a publicity stunt or an attempt to deflect attention away from the State's investigation. So, while both topics are worthy of separate threads, the issues may be more closely related than you think.

 

For what it's worth, I like the letter.

 

People can think what they want. They're likely the ones that have a problem with his double dipping story.

 

It's not like he can stop doing his job and hide under a rug. This isn't aimed at you as I acknowledged you liked the letter as well.

 

Sheriff is damned if he does, and getting flack about something else if he doesn't.

Boone County is not the Wild West, the standards are very high here.

 

Well, la-ti-da. :lol2:

And here I thought RM was just singing old Will Smith songs.

 

That is the song stuck in my head...and has been since I posted earlier. It's kind of growing on me. :lol2: But I did love the TV show!

Serious question: what do all of you believe of people like me, who choose to love their lives gun-free?

Serious question: what do all of you believe of people like me, who choose to love their lives gun-free?

That's your right and if you feel it is right for you that's what you should do. I hope you feel the same way about those that don't live a gun-free life.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.