December 8, 201510 yr Enjoyed the video. Here's the NRA knife I hope I find in my Christmas stocking: Case XX National Rifle Association NRA Star Spangled Banner Trapper Pocket Knife | eBay I hope to get an assault knife.
December 8, 201510 yr When the state starts putting the heat on your department ... no problem. Just send out a letter advocating vigilante preparedness' date=' and mention guns and Muslims in the same paragraph. If the folks in Boone embrace this weird letter as the BGP 2nd Amendment Club members did, the sheriff doesn't have a lot to worry about.[/quote'] Indeed, until you get to rewrite the constitution that you're vehemently against.
December 8, 201510 yr Enjoyed the video. Here's the NRA knife I hope I find in my Christmas stocking: Case XX National Rifle Association NRA Star Spangled Banner Trapper Pocket Knife | eBay Oooooooo! The red, white, and blue really sets it off. That is the perfect stocking stuffer. I just added it to my list for Santa! :thumb: (Btw, I was being honest. I do have the knife from the video link I posted)
December 8, 201510 yr I only give honest answers. As I've stated in the last couple of posts I do not believe people who commit crimes do so after doing an inventory of the risk vs reward. They do not think they're going to get caught. Prison is not real to them. The DP is not real to them. Getting shot by the homeowner is not real to them. So you think that if you surveyed 1000 criminals, all of them would say that same thing?
December 8, 201510 yr And so will the electric chair. That doesn't seem to have stopped murders. So essentially what your saying is there's no such thing as a deterrent to criminals?
December 8, 201510 yr So you think that if you surveyed 1000 criminals, all of them would say that same thing? No.
December 8, 201510 yr So essentially what your saying is there's no such thing as a deterrent to criminals? I rarely speak in absolutes.
December 8, 201510 yr How do you defend yourself or loved ones against someone with a gun or knife? Not RM, but as someone who shares her view on this, if the situation ever arises, I'm probably in trouble. Of course, the odds of such an event taking place are remarkably slim, so I'll take my chances.
December 8, 201510 yr I'd be willing to bet you don't talk to too many criminals. You're opinion isn't bad, but in my opinion it's incorrect and that's ok. I'll give you the under and bet you miss by more than 100....try me
December 8, 201510 yr Criminals are not completely stupid, they tend to target the easiest score and where there will be the least resistance.
December 8, 201510 yr Author Several posters (and others outside of BGP) seem to believe Sheriff Helmig's press release was a publicity stunt or an attempt to deflect attention away from the State's investigation. So, while both topics are worthy of separate threads, the issues may be more closely related than you think. For what it's worth, I like the letter. Uh ... no it's not. Allegations of malfeasance in office are less important than a call for people to pack heat? Hardly. By all means guys, start a thread on it, I might jump in.
December 8, 201510 yr Author I have often wondered how law enforcement people feel about conceal carry. I have a friend in law enforcement and I once asked him how he felt about people carrying a firearm. He said he didn't like it because when he first arrives on the scene of a crime and you have a citizen with a gun in addition to the firearm carried by the criminal it just adds to the number of firearms he has to have to worry about. In other words, the crook would have one and another person would have one and the LE would have to account for that firearm and make an assessment whether it was a threat to him. Regarding the letter, I am glad to know that in Boone County concealed carry is welcomed. I am not sure I agree with Sheriff Helmig that having a CCW permit obligates you to protect other people. I do agree that it is good as self-defense. I also think it can be a life saver for others in a situation like San Bernadino or other crime situation. But I think a call like this puts those who have CCW permits in a quasi law enforcement roll. Those who have conceal carry are not trained enough to act as law enforcement. This can create situations where civilians interject themselves in a way that is dangerous. They just don't have the training. If a person wants to carry a firearm for personal protection, fine, but no way do I want them to carry a firearm and feel obligated to protect other people. This puts a burden on them that they are not equipped to handle. When the new carry concealed law first came about we (law enforcement) were certainly skeptical but some of our own officers were doing the carry conceal class training and in short everyone in that room knew we were all on the same team. All I am saying is in my world (and the guys and gals I worked with) it wasn't a problem. It was an extra consideration on a crime in progress but beyond that it was a good thing. Frankly, I wish more and more people would carry concealed, it would make policing much easier and much safer.
December 8, 201510 yr How do you defend yourself or loved ones against someone with a gun or knife? You don't think there are other ways to keep safe? Even better, avoid being in that situation to begin with?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.