Questions for fans of newer schools...

FSfan

Thinking about some of the newer schools that haven't had decades of alumni to form a fan base...for BGP'ers such as Spinstopshere and Doubletake (South Warren fans), tommy2tone and blueandblack (Collins fans). Why are you fans of those schools? Are you young enough to have attended there? Did/do you have kids or other family who attend? Who did you root for before those schools were formed? I ask because I am impressed by the big fan followings I have seen from those 2 schools in particular...Collins brought a good crowd to Franklin for the semifinals in 2011 and I have been to SW twice and been impressed with their fans. Questions not limited to fans of those 2 schools but anybody interested.

People in Shelby Co. has always liked their sports. When the schools split, of course the family of the kids went with the new school. The total fan base of Shelby follows both schools. I wish they never played at home on the same night.

Year 1 of the split I have a vested interest in Shelby. Year 2-5 I was really invested with Collins HS. Now year 6, I am invested at SC once again. (PLease don't ask)

I follow and love both schools and both head coaches. When they play one another, I will wear an off color. If either school makes a deep run into the playoffs, fans of the county will turn out for the game.

Collins is kind of a different animal. Through the 70s to the mid 90s played pretty good football. Honestly across the board Shelby had good sports teams and the community really enjoys their sports from youth to HS. Before Collins a majority of the football team came from the Collins district. Heck Collins DC was my HC at Shelby and I believe a number of the guys on staff are former Rockets. A number of the Collins players are kids of guys we grew up with and played with. It's pretty natural for all of us to pull for those kids. I'll always pull for Shelby because that's where I'm from and played. I back Collins for the reasons above but also because they are a Shelby county school. There is a lot of pride as a whole in and for the County.

Collins is kind of a different animal. Through the 70s to the mid 90s played pretty good football. Honestly across the board Shelby had good sports teams and the community really enjoys their sports from youth to HS. Before Collins a majority of the football team came from the Collins district. Heck Collins DC was my HC at Shelby and I believe a number of the guys on staff are former Rockets. A number of the Collins players are kids of guys we grew up with and played with. It's pretty natural for all of us to pull for those kids. I'll always pull for Shelby because that's where I'm from and played. I back Collins for the reasons above but also because they are a Shelby county school. There is a lot of pride as a whole in and for the County.

Is Collins made up of just the kids in Shelbyville or is the county split evenly between the two schools?

Is Collins made up of just the kids in Shelbyville or is the county split evenly between the two schools?

I think it's pretty much an east/west split, with the east side of the county going to Shelby County and the west side going to Collins.

I think it's pretty much an east/west split, with the east side of the county going to Shelby County and the west side going to Collins.

It is suppose to be split even but not so sure that it is and my understanding is that redistricting is in the near future. All the elementary and middle schools are set to feed directly to the high schools.

I will go on the record and say that the way the split and development of the current school layout was done was an absolute joke however the current superintendent for the schools does a heck of a job promoting 1 school district rather than 2 separate schools.

Shelbyville has change some since I lived there. I believe the original concept was Easy/West. That's how the MS were split as a kid. A majority of the football team came from West (I did not). A majority of those players from West came from Shelbyville. Now your swimmers, runners, and some of those athletes who came from the West side of the county were from the Northwest portion closer to Long Run or some of the nicer areas. I'm happy to know the Super promotes it as a county.