FYI: Ohio Playoff State Pairings

Maybe I'm a little bias being from KY but seriously, Ohio has the most ignorant playoff system. Is there any other state that does their playoffs like the state to the north? Do the people in Ohio even like their own system?

100% better system than Kentucky the way it is set up now.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably not the Harbin expert that CardinalsFan is, but I pride myself in my knowledge of the system. I'm 99.99% sure margin of victory never comes up in either of the scoring tiers.

Correct. You get points for your the wins of your opponents that you have beaten. Points scored are not a factor.

If you're 10-0 against bad teams you don't make it.

Points scored are not a factor in Harbin ratings so no undefeated team got nixed because of points scored.

Scheduling is the challenge in some cases.

I think most people would rather see really good teams occasionally get nixed because others were better than see winless teams make the playoffs like we have here. A one-win team got a 2 seed and hosts a game. Think about that.

I am in no way shape or form very knowledgable of the system it's self. I should have put a disclaimer before my comment about the scoring. This was from 6 yrs ago from what a coach told his kids about not making the playoffs in Ohio for div 3.

Or something could have been lost in translation from the young man to myself.

I am in no way shape or form very knowledgable of the system it's self. I should have put a disclaimer before my comment about the scoring. This was from 6 yrs ago from what a coach told his kids about not making the playoffs in Ohio for div 3.

Or something could have been lost in translation from the young man to myself.

I gotcha. A lot of people do not understand the details of the Harbins.

Correct. You get points for your the wins of your opponents that you have beaten. Points scored are not a factor.

If you're 10-0 against bad teams you don't make it.

But I go back to my argument that if you are a weaker to middle of the road team no strong opponent will want to schedule you so getting a tougher schedule is tricky. Plus the kids are the ones being snubbed. I'm not for participation ribbons and giving everyone a playoff trip like we do. I don't completely agree with KYs system but IMO I think it is more fair.

I know Moe suffered a stretch where they had 2 QBs out but will this year cause them to reconsider their scheduling? That schedule was crazy.

They would LOVE to reconsider their schedule, but they can't. They play in a "conference" with only 3 other teams which leaves 7 games to find. Unlike KY, we don't have districts, sections, regions, etc. where your schedule is based. It is based on conference affiliation first.

Add to that the fact that Moeller is generally "not liked" in the Cincinnati community in regards to their methods of "acquiring" their students. There was even rumored talk of the largest conference in the city, the GMC where Colerain lives, had a gentlemen's agreement to boycott scheduling Moeller in football. I am sure that is as likely as Moeller illegally recruiting their students. :sssh:

-CardinalsFan

They would LOVE to reconsider their schedule, but they can't. They play in a "conference" with only 3 other teams which leaves 7 games to find. Unlike KY, we don't have districts, sections, regions, etc. where your schedule is based. It is based on conference affiliation first.

Add to that the fact that Moeller is generally "not liked" in the Cincinnati community in regards to their methods of "acquiring" their students. There was even rumored talk of the largest conference in the city, the GMC where Colerain lives, had a gentlemen's agreement to boycott scheduling Moeller in football. I am sure that is as likely as Moeller illegally recruiting their students. :sssh:

-CardinalsFan

Moe also has a very difficult time getting local teams to play them, not just GMC schools. X and Elder has the same issues, I'm sure they aren't lining up to play Colerain either

Moe also has a very difficult time getting local teams to play them, not just GMC schools. X and Elder has the same issues, I'm sure they aren't lining up to play Colerain either

StX and Colerain have played regular season games for the last 5-6 years. Probably the best (non-conference) rivalry in Cincinnati.

Jugg....you're not serious. Ohio has 700plus teams and only 31% of the teams make the playoffs. FYI, in Kentucky 221 teams and 192 make the playoffs.... 87% make the playoffs. Explain how Ky has 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 teams in the playoffs, and that is a better system?

Who beat St Edward? Someone from out of state?

Correct me if im wrong - isn't the Dublin Coffman QB the kid going to UK? Having a good season?

St. Edward traveled in their ONLY true road game of the year and lost to St. Joseph Regional (NJ), 22-20. Amazingly, every single one of the rest of their games were at home or at a neutral field. One could make a compelling argument that they haven't really been tested...yet.

Yes, the QB from Coffman, Gunnar Hoak, is committed to UK. Unfortunately, there is no place online for me to grab his total YTD stats.

-CardinalsFan

Maybe I'm a little bias being from KY but seriously, Ohio has the most ignorant playoff system. Is there any other state that does their playoffs like the state to the north? Do the people in Ohio even like their own system?

Believe it or not, there are other states who use a computer generated algorithm as well to determine their playoff teams. It actually is a really good way to reward teams who beat good opponents as opposed to teams who may dominate a district/conference and build up a 9-1 schedule playing nobodies.

People in Ohio generally really like the Harbins (surprise, surprise!). Since we don't have districts/sections/regions, it is the best way to even out the playing field across 7 divisions and almost 800 schools playing football.

-CardinalsFan

But I go back to my argument that if you are a weaker to middle of the road team no strong opponent will want to schedule you so getting a tougher schedule is tricky. Plus the kids are the ones being snubbed. I'm not for participation ribbons and giving everyone a playoff trip like we do. I don't completely agree with KYs system but IMO I think it is more fair.

But why does it HAVE to be fair? Is it so little Johnny isn't heart broken? I strongly dislike the KY playoff system because everyone, regardless of how bad you are, get a playoff spot. It should be earned like everything else in life. I wish KY would go to a computer system to be honest.

I'm probably not the Harbin expert that CardinalsFan is, but I pride myself in my knowledge of the system. I'm 99.99% sure margin of victory never comes up in either of the scoring tiers.

Margin of victory has nothing to do with the Harbin rankings, that is correct.

-CardinalsFan

-CardinalsFan

In KY only the district games (3-4 games) are required. The other 6-7 are free to schedule as the school wants. That said, the Ohio system definitely seems superior and I love to see something similar here in Kentucky.

In regards to Moeller having difficulty scheduling, hopefully they'll play Trinity again next year. I loved the game last year, though I'd rather it wasn't in Week Ten this time.

In KY only the district games (3-4 games) are required. The other 6-7 are free to schedule as the school wants. That said, the Ohio system definitely seems superior and I love to see something similar here in Kentucky.

In regards to Moeller having difficulty scheduling, hopefully they'll play Trinity again next year. I loved the game last year, though I'd rather it wasn't in Week Ten this time.

I think it's a good system. Rarely, if ever, does a team not qualify that is state championship quality. And ultimately, that is the purpose of the Harbins: to determine a field of teams that are worthy candidates to compete for a state title.

While Moeller fans are complaining now that at 5-5, they should be in the playoffs because their QB is now completely healthy and they are playing great football, their record just doesn't measure up.

I will say, one fact continues to blow my mind in regards to Moeller: Since they created football in the early 60's, NO Moeller football team has EVER had a losing record....EVER! Many years of 5-5 to start and occasionally since, but not a single 4-6 or 4-5 to be found anywhere. That's impressive, no matter where you get your players..cough, cough...KY6...cough, cough... :sssh:

-CardinalsFan