Could Kentucky get rid of county clerks?

SportsGuy41017

I think we are on to something about eliminating counties. As someone who loves the idea of shrinking government. I mean I get great joy thinking about it. I do feel separating it's duties from other elected offices makes sense for separation of powers.

There is a lot more waste in local government that should be addressed first.

Don't we have the second highest number of counties? Only behind Texas?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't we have the second highest number of counties? Only behind Texas?

Reading my post I don't think it was clear. I'm 100% for merging counties. I was referring to the fact I don't think at this time eliminating the county clerk makes sense.

With technology it could in the future.

Reading my post I don't think it was clear. I'm 100% for merging counties. I was referring to the fact I don't think at this time eliminating the county clerk makes sense.

With technology it could in the future.

No you post was fine, I was just asking about where our 120 counties rank, I thought we were #2 . A lot could be saved by merging not only some county jobs, as well as counties, and as you said, in the future.

Seems to me that whatever is budgeted for the Jailer's office could be rolled over into the Sheriff's budget and that would avoid any concerns about taking deputies off the road. It would be silly to expect the Sheriff's office in every county to absorb those duties without getting a bump in budget to account for the man hours required to perform the Jailer's task.

Consolidating the power to arrest and the money made by housing inmates could lead to problems.

Constables also make money by serving papers.

No you post was fine, I was just asking about where our 120 counties rank, I thought we were #2 . A lot could be saved by merging not only some county jobs, as well as counties, and as you said, in the future.

I think your rank is right if not it's close. It really doesn't make any sense. Plus it could help eliminate some of the Puritan drinking laws that still exist in this state.

Seems to me that whatever is budgeted for the Jailer's office could be rolled over into the Sheriff's budget and that would avoid any concerns about taking deputies off the road. It would be silly to expect the Sheriff's office in every county to absorb those duties without getting a bump in budget to account for the man hours required to perform the Jailer's task.

Most jails (not all) are money pits for the county. Seeing up close how budgeting and fiances are ran at a county level, I think it would be safe to assume that most magistrates would rather the Sheriff's office make up that deficit than give up a few thousand for blacktopping and graveling roads. Something magistrates wield like a fairy god-mother to get votes every four years.

FWIW I don't see any problem with their being one elected person to be responsible for the jail/prisoners in each county. As HB20 said, even in counties without a Jail the Jailers have responsibilities. Do some abuse it yeah, but some people abuse every job in every profession.

Maybe this is what they were getting at? Have the officer and employees, but save 80K per county per year and get rid of the elected county clerk?

Jim, I just got back home and I'll have to read about the constable job, I actually know one so Ill have to ask him about how many livestock he has castrated, I did not know that until you mentioned it.

I don't know if anyone ever asks the constable to perform this part of his duties anymore, but they are obligated if someone does, and I find that to be hilarious.

Most jails (not all) are money pits for the county. Seeing up close how budgeting and fiances are ran at a county level, I think it would be safe to assume that most magistrates would rather the Sheriff's office make up that deficit than give up a few thousand for blacktopping and graveling roads. Something magistrates wield like a fairy god-mother to get votes every four years.

FWIW I don't see any problem with their being one elected person to be responsible for the jail/prisoners in each county. As HB20 said, even in counties without a Jail the Jailers have responsibilities. Do some abuse it yeah, but some people abuse every job in every profession.

Since this would be a move made under authority of the state, they could mandate jailer's budgets be rolled into the sheriff's. Seems illogical that if the jailer's office was abolished that that money would go into a county's general fund.

Since this would be a move made under authority of the state, they could mandate jailer's budgets be rolled into the sheriff's. Seems illogical that if the jailer's office was abolished that that money would go into a county's general fund.
Well a lot of the Jails money comes from the county to begin with. A few years ago when things got tight the first place the magistrates cut was the Jail in the Sheriff's Office...not the road dept or court house staff. Sheriff's office was shorted over $200,000 of what was budgeted by Fiscal Court because it's easier to cut there.

If Jailer was abolished then the entire financing plan in place for the Sheriff's Office and Jails would have to be revamped. Without making a BBFan length post the current way just would not work. Money would have to come straight from tax collections to run the jail and sheriff's office and cut fiscal court out of the loop except for approving their budget as they do now.

Being married to a finance officer that worries 9 months out of the year how to come up with enough money for payroll every two weeks, I am close to this issue.

I was always told that the reason for so many counties is that the courthouses could only be one day's horse ride from each other. Some judges handle multiple counties and we have regional sewer districts, why not consolidate counties? I think the county clerk's office will remain, but could be reduced in responsibilities. The whole election issue is one I would want to have them handle.

I was always told that the reason for so many counties is that the courthouses could only be one day's horse ride from each other. Some judges handle multiple counties and we have regional sewer districts, why not consolidate counties? I think the county clerk's office will remain, but could be reduced in responsibilities. The whole election issue is one I would want to have them handle.

Too many people would lose their authoriti over their little fiefdoms. And the sweet government paycheck and bennies that comes with it.

Reducing counties is a moot point...it is never going to happen for many reasons, least of which is consolidating positions in county government and one judge, clerk, sheriff and coroner losing their job in every other county.

People would never go for it because of their identity being tied to their home town/county.