Could Kentucky get rid of county clerks?

SportsGuy41017

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe keep the department but not clerks? I was told about this talk, I do know they questioned the need for jailers in the past.

Since the state won't eliminate the elected position of constable, despite its total uselessness in a modern society — constable's main job is to castrate livestock, I'm not joking about this — my guess is we won't see any elimination of the other elected offices.

Since the state won't eliminate the elected position of constable, despite its total uselessness in a modern society — constable's main job is to castrate livestock, I'm not joking about this — my guess is we won't see any elimination of the other elected offices.

Point taken. How much do constables get per year?

they are responsible for the recording of deeds and mortgages, they records liens on vehicles and boats and such, they issue marriage licenses, and they are responsible for elections, in that its the clerk that does the voting booths and counts the votes, and certifies the winners.

so eliminating the position would be a pretty big deal.

Point taken. How much do constables get per year?

I don't know that there is any actual pay. Most who do it are people who simply are wanna-be cops, and can afford the bonding fee (minimum $10K, but many counties have chosen to make it much higher, in the hundreds of thousands), as well as all their own equipment. They still have extremely limited authority.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=23209

I don't know that there is any actual pay. Most who do it are people who simply are wanna-be cops, and can afford the bonding fee (minimum $10K, but many counties have chosen to make it much higher, in the hundreds of thousands), as well as all their own equipment. They still have extremely limited authority.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=23209

I know of at least two people who have done it to get the needed years for full retirement from the state.