How good is Pikeville?

It has been almost two years since Pikeville lost a regular season game. Do they have the longest regular season winning streak in the state?

They have manhandled two decent higher class opponents in their first two games. They face a stiff challenge this Friday facing Paintsville, who upset them in last year's playoffs. Friday night is going to go a long way to telling us how good they are. How good do you think they are? Could they go undefeated? Why has this team been so good over the past couple years?

How many starters did they lose from last year's team?

Someone who knows better can correct me but think they lost 5 each way.

They also gained a couple players though in the Jerrell kid who has been absolutely huge for them on Offense and Defense... and they added a Goble kid that is a starter who sat out last year after transferring.

The thing about Pikeville is I honestly feel they were as good as any 1A team in the State last year, Mayfield included. That Paintsville game was one of the oddest scores I have seen in some years, and was the product of a multitude of factors.

Daric Pugh is an absolute stud at RB and the best HB in small school football (Class 1A and 2A) besides maybe Trajon Bright. Pikeville isn't going to "WOW" you with their size, but they are well conditioned, strong, quick, and very well coached.

Where the rubber meets the road with Pikeville is what will happen when they play a team this year who can seemingly take away Pugh? Pikeville has some good football players as alternate options, but they also have a young QB who has not been asked to really step up and make throws, they also do not have the Estep kid at WR who was the heartbeat of the team.

Outside of a loss to Belfry in 2013 the Panthers have won 25 straight games in the Regular Season. Coach McNamee has built his program to his specifications and they will be a very tough out.

Pikeville did lose five starters to graduation that played both ways. The team also lost it's kicker to graduation as well. However, he has been replaced by one just as accurate so far; Evan Heffington. Only one miss in two games. Imo, this team would have been dangerous without the two transfers mentioned. However, we are extremely pleased to have them in the maroon and white. Jarrell, like Cody Estep is special. Don't know exactly what his time is in the forty, but he looks just as fast and quick as Estep was. With Cody Dials(QB), he's done a fine Job so far. Coach Mac, and staff are really pleased , even though this is only his 2nd start in as many games. He's not really been under fire yet, and we know the time will come. Cody is very accurate in his passing, and his reads. Footwork is real good, and has great speed as well. The offensive line isn't extremely huge, but big enough, and are very quick, and as previously mentioned are very well conditioned. They have great downfield blocking, and they stay on their blocks. Fundamentally sound. Never seen a defense at this School like this since the late 80's. This group swarms to the ball like ball hawkers, and they will knock your head off. I mentioned in another thread that this team is on a mission this season. Imo, this Pikeville team has what it takes to be as good as the Pikeville teams of the late 80's.(1987). If any of you old timers are out there, then you know what I'm talking about. Jmo.

Pikeville is very good. But, they were very good last year. Imo, they were just as good as Mayfield and Wburg. Then, after running like a buzz saw through out the regular season, they were a bit banged up and they ran into the "23 darkhorse" Paintsville Tigers. Pikeville is a very darn good football team. But anything can happen on any given night. I aslo wonder how they respond when Pugh isn't running wild. I know it's hard to throw the ball much when you dont need to and you dont want to keep your starters in when you are up by 4 or 5 scores, but with a young QB I would have a hard time not throwing the ball some.

actually, that scenario played out last Saturday evening with LCC. Daric Pugh got all of his 176yds., and four touchdowns long before the half. Coach Mac pulled him, and Sophomore Evan Rhodes takes over from there racking up yardage. Don't have stats on him by the way. Quarterback Dials stays in for most of the second half, while backup Wyatt Battielle takes some reps. The remainder of scoring came on an interception return by Chattlin Jarrell for a touchdown. The other score came on a 30 yard strike from QB Dials to TE Andrew McNamee. Second and third string had their reps from there on. So yes, Pugh did his damage, and the starting QB got some more valuable experience. I do believe, and have always believed that any team can lose on any given night, if they're not on their game. In this Friday's matchup, I really believe Pikeville has the edge with it's overall team speed, strength, conditioning, and athleticism. Hope I'm right.