Highlands 3 Dixie Heights 0 (scrimmage)

Sir!

I guess I'm not sure what point is made when a parent or player decides to protest by quitting. Who does it really hurt? Most likely the player by missing out on an opportunity to fulfill a goal. And very likely the team, if that player was going to contribute to the success of the season. If the intent is to hurt the staff, I don't see that as a likely outcome.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parents do not quit. Players do not quit to protest anything except for the fact that they are not happy. Could be a myriad of things from playing time, to how they are treated as a human being, to being ridiculed/criticized on a daily basis. Since when do kids quit to hurt the coaches and/or the school?

Not sure where you are going with who it hurts. Sure it hurts the kid in the long run, but should they stick it out in a situation where they feel 'stressed' every day. If they do not like how things are going then they have the right to seek a change whether it be a high school sport, a college decision or a workplace.

A couple other girls I thought looked good Tuesday night for Highlands...

Sydney Ossege (junior) had impressive work rate playing outside midfield. Kept putting herself in the right spot both offensively and defensively. She missed two at close range, but credit her for helping create chances.

Sophie Steppe (soph) is a very impressive close-down defender in the back. It doesn't hurt to have flat out speed either.

Kirsten Clukey (junior) and Kylie Schuermann (senior) were solid in the center of the pitch. Lindsey Meyer (freshman) created a lot of chances up top. She'd be fun to watch in the #10 role playing provider with a more physical striker playing with/in front of her.

Any other girls stand out on either side? Looking forward to more posts about the kids following SoccerRama.

I never questioned the rights of a student to make the decision to quit. They have every right to that choice. My point was to ask who is hurt by the decision. My thoughts remain that it is the player and the teammates that are most affected. I also contend that in many instances, parents have a direct influence in these decisions. Finally, IMO, Overcoming being 'stressed' is a learned life skill that is best developed by working through the stressful situation.

Edited by DoTell
mis-spelling

In my option in sports today and even more so in high school is the attitude seems to be all about winning no mater what and not for the kids to learn and grown as athletes and students. Don't forget about having fun while they do it.I know coaches are under pressure and so is the school to win to help bring in more students to the school, more so with the private schools than public. I know everyone don't ever want to talk bad about their school but if you don't think that is the attitude then no one on this board will convince you of that. Not to put down any schools that never win anything or barely win games during a season but the bigger schools could probably learn from those coaches and schools.

Really?

Yes really. You have anything to add at all to the conversation? Seems like you and others want to get on here and talk, but have nothing meaningful to say. You support the coach? I am with T-Birds on this one in that there should have been a change immediately as was done in others sports at HHS.

Calm yourself Jack. I was saying "really" to the fact that you questioned if someone had complained. Which was laughable because the idea of changing coaches came up by like the third post.

But for goodness sake. If you feel that strongly why are you taking your gripe to the Internet. Do you really think anything will change based on some anonymous complaining don't on bluegrass preps. Please...

Calm yourself Jack. I was saying "really" to the fact that you questioned if someone had complained. Which was laughable because the idea of changing coaches came up by like the third post.

But for goodness sake. If you feel that strongly why are you taking your gripe to the Internet. Do you really think anything will change based on some anonymous complaining don't on bluegrass preps. Please...

If the alternative is taking that particular point of view directly to the head coach, it'll never happen. Have you seen the size of that guy? ;0)

OK people, it's time to get a life. Nothing's going to change. Highlands Girls Soccer is moving forward, and there is nothing that can be done about it. If.... changes were going to be made, they would have been made. The girls are playing good soccer, and they are trying to figure everything out. How is that a problem ? If they {the girls} are ok with the way things are going, what does it matter what the adults think ? For the most part, these girls have forgotten more about soccer than most of the adults will ever know. That said, give it, and them, a break ! Jesus, talk about trying to tear apart a program, because he said.. that she said... that they said.. is a stupid premise. Get over it, and move on ! This group has a ton of potential. Rather than trying to rip it apart, get behind the program. If you can't do that... then you truly have no compassion for what the kids, and coaching staff are trying to accomplish. Life can be bittersweet, but that doesn't mean it has to last a lifetime ! These are kids trying to do their best, and represent their school. How is that a bad thing ? Go Highlands Athletes & Coaches, there are many in the community that support you, and all that you do !

OK people, it's time to get a life. Nothing's going to change. Highlands Girls Soccer is moving forward, and there is nothing that can be done about it. If.... changes were going to be made, they would have been made. The girls are playing good soccer, and they are trying to figure everything out. How is that a problem ? If they {the girls} are ok with the way things are going, what does it matter what the adults think ? For the most part, these girls have forgotten more about soccer than most of the adults will ever know. That said, give it, and them, a break ! Jesus, talk about trying to tear apart a program, because he said.. that she said... that they said.. is a stupid premise. Get over it, and move on ! This group has a ton of potential. Rather than trying to rip it apart, get behind the program. If you can't do that... then you truly have no compassion for what the kids, and coaching staff are trying to accomplish. Life can be bittersweet, but that doesn't mean it has to last a lifetime ! These are kids trying to do their best, and represent their school. How is that a bad thing ? Go Highlands Athletes & Coaches, there are many in the community that support you, and all that you do !

If you want it to go away then why make a post about it? Is it really a he said, she said, they said situation? Funny how certain posters continue to get on here and try to stir it all back up.