How big is a trillion???

I'd move to the Caribbean so fast. :lol2:

I'm horrible at economics and I don't think there is anything we can do about the debt. I just collect my money and take care of my family the best way I can. I can't control the debt so I am not going to sweat it at all.

....so are most in Washington.:lol2:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as I have a job and a steady paycheck then no.....no I don't care what a trillion is until I have a trillion in my bank account.

PP , I like you but that line of thinking is what leads nations into despair . I hope you are just poking at us conservative thinkers who know that dept matters . And that trillion wouldnt make you a dang bit happier . :)

I'm a 25 year old kid with a really good paying job, I dont see how the National Dept does anything to me. Care to give me a reason why I should care about it? Not calling you out or anything, merely curious.

I'm a 25 year old kid with a really good paying job, I dont see how the National Dept does anything to me. Care to give me a reason why I should care about it? Not calling you out or anything, merely curious.

Grizz, I feel sorry for people your age because YOU GUYS are going to have to deal with it. At some point in the future the US Govt is going to have to be able to begin paying it back. Once people stop believing in the ability of the US Govt to be able to pay it back, we have real problems. The US dollar could really shrink in value and the stock market will be greatly affected. $250,000 in a 401-K might be worth $100,000 or less very fast and if the $ shrinks in value, your $50-100,000 salary might be worth minimum wage.

What my generation (50 year olds plus or minus) is doing to your generation is criminal IMO....

I'd move to the Caribbean so fast. :lol2:

I'm horrible at economics and I don't think there is anything we can do about the debt. I just collect my money and take care of my family the best way I can. I can't control the debt so I am not going to sweat it at all.

As much as I hate to say it, that may be the best attitude. Democrats spend money like crack addicts needing a fix. Republicans used to try to stop it but when they did they were branded as having a war on women, being racist, baby killers, etc. So now they have just given up. Nobody seems to care about the debt any longer. The sensible ones that do are labeled the most hateful names you can imagine so they stop. When I see us getting hung up with relatively minor things like Caitlin Jenner, gender identification and race identification and ignore the debt crisis we have, it makes me think we get what we deserve...and we will when the debt comes crashing down.

Grizz, I feel sorry for people your age because YOU GUYS are going to have to deal with it. At some point in the future the US Govt is going to have to be able to begin paying it back. Once people stop believing in the ability of the US Govt to be able to pay it back, we have real problems. The US dollar could really shrink in value and the stock market will be greatly affected. $250,000 in a 401-K might be worth $100,000 or less very fast and if the $ shrinks in value, your $50-100,000 salary might be worth minimum wage.

What my generation (50 year olds plus or minus) is doing to your generation is criminal IMO....

Thanks, just satisfying my curiosity. Just another thing to look foward to in the future I suppose.

" In 2013 the budget deficit was around $962 billion. A study has shown that 42% ($402 billion) of that deficit will be due to the Bush-era tax cuts. Costs of the Bush initiated wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will account for 16% ($153 billion). Another 41% ($395 billion) of the deficit will be caused by the economic downturn that began in 2008."

It's kind of hard to listen to people say democrats spend money like crack addicts when almost all of yearly budget deficit is still Republican hangover.

Maybe in 5 years you can say it but not today.

Boys and girls to cut the deficit and national debt life would have to get real uncomfortable and do things like: Scale back military spending, raise social security retirement age, raise taxes...

Are you serious ?

Just in basic form the devaluing of the dollar affects the purchasing power of your pay check. That's best case scenario.

Worst case scenarios could involve U.S. financial strain to no longer be a world power , petro dollar uses other currency , extreme debt called .

There are a bunch more detailed versions

I find it funny that some of the same people calling for more government spending in another thread also don't care about the national debt.

Let's have free day care for all and go even more in debt . It's criminal what politicans on both side of the aisle are doing with our money.

" In 2013 the budget deficit was around $962 billion. A study has shown that 42% ($402 billion) of that deficit will be due to the Bush-era tax cuts. Costs of the Bush initiated wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will account for 16% ($153 billion). Another 41% ($395 billion) of the deficit will be caused by the economic downturn that began in 2008."

It's kind of hard to listen to people say democrats spend money like crack addicts when almost all of yearly budget deficit is still Republican hangover.

Maybe in 5 years you can say it but not today.

Boys and girls to cut the deficit and national debt life would have to get real uncomfortable and do things like: Scale back military spending, raise social security retirement age, raise taxes...

Any study that blames the debt on tax cuts is written by either a liar or someone who doesn't understand economics.

I agree the middle east wars add large amounts to the debt. But please don't get on here even remotely try to defend the democrat party's spending habits .

Tell me the last major idea a Democrat had passed that didn't cost tax payers more money ?

Obamacare= higher taxes and take over of 1/6 th of the economy.

Obama's first few months on the job he raised the supposed sin tax a direct tax on those middle class and poor people he promised not tax.

Every major idea in the democrat party involves more government control or spending.

Please take ideas that Democrats don't spend money somewhere where people don't know better.

Hey hellcat .. my memory is just awful , did any democrats VOTE TO GO TO WAR along with ole W or was it just W acting alone with all those republicans ? And these figures you are throwing out , The debt was 11T when Obama took over , now it's 18T , he's been in office 7 years and its still Bush's fault ? Not a hardcore dem are ya ? LOL

Any study that blames the debt on tax cuts is written by either a liar or someone who doesn't understand economics.

I agree the middle east wars add large amounts to the debt. But please don't get on here even remotely try to defend the democrat party's spending habits .

Tell me the last major idea a Democrat had passed that didn't cost tax payers more money ?

Obamacare= higher taxes and take over of 1/6 th of the economy.

Obama's first few months on the job he raised the supposed sin tax a direct tax on those middle class and poor people he promised not tax.

Every major idea in the democrat party involves more government control or spending.

Please take ideas that Democrats don't spend money somewhere where people don't know better.

Please take the idea that Republicans don't spend money somewhere where people don't know better.

How do tax cuts not affect the deficit and national debt? You cut income that would pay your bills. Maybe you understand this better than me, but more income means you can pay your debt off faster.

Prior to the W debacle we had a surplus.

Hey hellcat .. my memory is just awful , did any democrats VOTE TO GO TO WAR along with ole W or was it just W acting alone with all those republicans ? And these figures you are throwing out , The debt was 11T when Obama took over , now it's 18T , he's been in office 7 years and its still Bush's fault ? Not a hardcore dem are ya ? LOL

:eyeonyou: democrats voted for it but the quote from the study said Bush initiated. They were expensive flops so the blame goes to him. If Obamacare flops who will get the blame? Do you think the GOP is going to run around 7 years from now and say "we didn't do enough to to help?"

Like I said 5 years from now we will see the true effect of Obama's presidency, and the next president will have to work through it, but today we are staring at all of W's accomplishments.

Please take the idea that Republicans don't spend money somewhere where people don't know better.

How do tax cuts not affect the deficit and national debt? You cut income that would pay your bills. Maybe you understand this better than me, but more income means you can pay your debt off faster.

Prior to the W debacle we had a surplus.

By assuming tax cuts are the problem you have the mind set government is entitled to our money. Government has no money it's citizens money. Even if there was a revenue problem which there wasn't . It's the government's job to cut spending not increase it.

Again stick to a topic you understand.