How big is a trillion???

With all the political stuff that gets talked about here, the national debt gets very little attention IMO. The way Washington throws money around...a billion here and a billion there, people are immune to actually how much money we are going into debt. I think the national debt is a huge problem and totally under reported because since Obama is president, he gets a pass by the media. Keep in mind when he was running for president the first time he called Bush's debt escalation totally irresponsible...and Obama's national debt is on steroids when compared to Bush and will be as much as all previous presidents combined.

I thought I would try to put into perspective how much debt the US is in. Keep in mind when Obama leaves the presidency, the country will be about $20 trillion in debt...it is actually much higher than that but let's just go with that number. So here are the questions. I guaranty the answers will shock you unless you have heard them before:

(1) Approximately what year was it 20 trillion SECONDS ago?

(2) If the government put $1 million per DAY towards the $20 trillion debt, how long would it take to pay it off (to make it easy, just principal and no interest for the calculation)?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If those numbers aren't sobering, I don't know what is. When Obama gets out, the national debt will be about $265,000 per family (assume family of 4)...

This is why the US is not mentioned in the Bible during the End of Days. It is my belief that we will be taken over by China or Russia before The Rapture occurs.

PP , I like you but that line of thinking is what leads nations into despair . I hope you are just poking at us conservative thinkers who know that dept matters . And that trillion wouldnt make you a dang bit happier . :)

PP , I like you but that line of thinking is what leads nations into despair . I hope you are just poking at us conservative thinkers who know that dept matters . And that trillion wouldnt make you a dang bit happier . :)

I'd move to the Caribbean so fast. :lol2:

I'm horrible at economics and I don't think there is anything we can do about the debt. I just collect my money and take care of my family the best way I can. I can't control the debt so I am not going to sweat it at all.