"Gone with the Wind" should go the way of the Confederate flag.

Irish Cat

I could care less if the movie is banned. Makes no difference to me. I saw it once when I was very young. It was long and boring and I fell asleep. Watched it again recently. Did not realize how much of a historical piece it was. Finally understood the title, that it was about an entire way of life that was gone with the wind.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then what the devil are we even talking about? I get why "Gone With the Wind" is racist and revisionist. Why is rap music racist?
Because of lyrics like "Kill the crackers, but not until they buy my record first", and hundreds other similar lyrics, some folks could get a hint of racism.. But just like the flag issue, I don't personally give a flip about rap.. Just making a point......

Because of lyrics like "Kill the crackers, but not until they buy my record first", and hundreds other similar lyrics, some folks could get a hint of racism.. But just like the flag issue, I don't personally give a flip about rap.. Just making a point......

Who said that one? I'm honestly not familiar with it and I listen to a pretty good amount of rap.

All rap music isn't racist just like everyone who loves the rebel flag isn't racist. Right?

How much rap music have you actually listened to? And just listening to a few snippets here and there doesn't count. I mean actually sitting down and listening to it. I can guarantee you've never heard that lyric you quote in any rap song. That's you applying a very broad brush to an entire genre of music, and it isn't fair. Do questionable, racist lyrics exist in rap? Absolutely. But they also exist in most other genre's of music as well.

Thanks for helping me make my point guys...

I'm not very smart and don't do subtlety well. Spell it out for me.

Some rap music has racist lyrics (still waiting for examples so I don't download those tracks on i-Tunes) and so I should stop listening to rap music. So if Gone with the Wind is racist, I should stop watching movies? I dunno... I saw "Inside Out" last night and thought it was really fun and I can't wait to see "Dope" later this week.

That can't be what you meant but I'm trying to draw lines on a piece of paper.

Help a guy out.

My point was that some things are seen as racist to some folks but not to others.. Some are quick to point to a flag and call it racist and others see it differently.. The same with rap lyrics, just as an example......

My point was that some things are seen as racist to some folks but not to others.. Some are quick to point to a flag and call it racist and others see it differently.. The same with rap lyrics, just as an example......

Fair enough, but.....

The confederate flag does have an undeniable connection to a racist period in our countries history, and was raised again in 1962 in protest of the civil rights act. That connection cannot be denied. So yes some people don't see that, and only have a happy, fond connection to the flag. Your example uses lyrics in a song no one has heard of, to try to create a connection that isn't nearly as prevalent.