Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Michael Brelo is found not guilty

Featured Replies

I'm not assuming anything about the chase. I can't find any details detailing the facts of the actual chase. My question, generically, is if it is SOP to shoot at a fleeing car even if the car is fleeing at a high rate of speed.

 

If there are no shots being fired from the car is the fleeing enough to warrant shooting and putting the rest of the public at risk ?

 

But the question is irrelevant if your assumptions are incorrect , isn't it ?

 

You also assume while the car wasn't putting the public at risk that the shots fired by the police were in that last paragraph.

  • Replies 73
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the question is irrelevant if your assumptions are incorrect , isn't it ?

 

You also assume while the car wasn't putting the public at risk that the shots fired by the police were in that last paragraph.

 

So I found some info.

 

Chase violated SOP which states that no more than 2 vehicles be involved in a chase. 59 were involved in this one. In addition, the officers failed to switched their radios over where they would have heard they were to discontinue the chase. Report does not say anything about my question regarding shooting at a fleeing vehicle.

 

 

Feds To Investigate Cleveland Police After 137 Shots Fired In 59-Car Chase | ThinkProgress

But the question is irrelevant if your assumptions are incorrect , isn't it ?

 

You also assume while the car wasn't putting the public at risk that the shots fired by the police were in that last paragraph.

 

I don't understand either point. I asked a question: Do departments have rules/policies about shooting at cars that are fleeing that are not shooting at the officers? Even if the car is traveling at a dangerous speed.

I'm not assuming anything about the chase. I can't find any details detailing the facts of the actual chase. My question, generically, is if it is SOP to shoot at a fleeing car even if the car is fleeing at a high rate of speed.

 

If there are no shots being fired from the car is the fleeing enough to warrant shooting and putting the rest of the public at risk ?

To answer your question I believe it is ok to fire at a fleeing car if they felt the car was

emdangering the life of others including the general public.

To answer your question I believe it is ok to fire at a fleeing car if they felt the car was

emdangering the life of others including the general public.

 

Thanks. Does the fact that the officers were reportedly told to stop the chase tell us anything about the decision to shoot at the fleeing car?

An officer reported seeing the gun behind held out of the window. He later changed that when he informed dispatch the guy was wearing black gloves. He was then not sure if he truly saw the gun or if the guy simply dropped it elsewhere.

Two officers heard the car backfire while they were chasing the car. They did not report this to dispatch.

I would say at least 3 times. I can't think of any pistol a cop would carry that would hold more than 16 in a clip.

 

Not true. Springfield XD 9mm can hold as many as 19 rounds in the magazine. A Glock 17 holds 17 rounds in the magazine.

Thanks. Does the fact that the officers were reportedly told to stop the chase tell us anything about the decision to shoot at the fleeing car?

I didn't read the report somi

cant answer to why they continued the chase.

 

In my training from

when I was an officer I was always taught that no one can out run a radio. I was also taught but, understand this is a deparmtental

SOP so I can't speak on their dept. But my old one we were told

only continue a chase if you believe the suspect(s) are endangering others if you terminate the chase.

 

If officers saw them driving erratically and/or thought they fired a gun would lead me to believe they were

dangerous to others at the time.

 

Each dept has their own SOP regarding chases.

So if a car is fleeing is that "using the car as a weapon?" That's my question. I get that once you ram the officers in the school lot you're going to draw fire. I'm asking if they followed procedure by shooting at a fleeing vehicle that was not ramming other cars.

 

I don't think your question is that cut and dry. Were the fleeing suspects putting other lives in danger with the way they were driving? Did they run up on any sidewalks? Did they nearly ram other vehicles? You would need to know the answer to those questions and several others to answer that question honestly.

Not true. Springfield XD 9mm can hold as many as 19 rounds in the magazine. A Glock 17 holds 17 rounds in the magazine.

 

The report says that Officer Brelo reloaded twice.

My recent posts are coming while reading the linked report.

 

No gun was ever found. Surveillance video from the route was checked and there was no indication a gun was tossed. Residue tests showed that the two victims did have residue but that could have been from firing OR could be from having so many shots going off at them in the car.

The scene sounded like pure chaos. Officers seemed to not be sure , understandably, as to the shots they were hearing coming from their own or from the victims.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.