Michael Brelo is found not guilty

I didn't follow this one closely but it seems the anger is over the fact that 100+ shots were fired into the car of two people who were unarmed, correct?

What was the reason given by the officers for any shots much less 100+?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't follow this one closely but it seems the anger is over the fact that 100+ shots were fired into the car of two people who were unarmed, correct?

What was the reason given by the officers for any shots much less 100+?

I believe it was 13 officers that fired at the vehicle over a 22 mile chase. Don't think all the shots were fired when the vehicle was finally stopped.

As far as the reasoning, I don't know. I wonder why the deceased wouldn't stop and led the officers on a 22 mile chase, also.

I am also curious as to why he was the only officer charged with killing the two.

A quick use of my Google machine tells me the officers thought they heard a shot fired from the car . Experts later said it was probably a backfire from the car. Officers said they thought they saw a gun in his car. 12 officers opened fire. Brelo then jumped on the hood and fired 40 shots into the victims.

Each victim was hit about 25 times.

No gun was found.

In today's climate, it's easy to see where the anger comes from. No gun. Seemingly excessive shooting. Like it or not, many in the black community see "thought we saw a gun" as a convenient excuse to open fire.

People weren't going to be happy with the verdict either way.

But it's funny, you used the OJ Simpson verdict as an example but while I know that there were people upset by the verdict I don't remember any riots over it.

I'm now convinced that when people are shouting No Justice, No Peace it would be more accurate if they were shouting No Vengeance, No Peace because that's what they want. IMVHO they are just a modern day lynch mob.

But it's funny, you used the OJ Simpson verdict as an example but while I know that there were people upset by the verdict I don't remember any riots over it.

I'm now convinced that when people are shouting No Justice, No Peace it would be more accurate if they were shouting No Vengeance, No Peace because that's what they want. IMVHO they are just a modern day lynch mob.

Too many let the small % of protestors who do damage to property as a way to condemn the entire group who is protesting the right way.

A quick use of my Google machine tells me the officers thought they heard a shot fired from the car . Experts later said it was probably a backfire from the car. Officers said they thought they saw a gun in his car. 12 officers opened fire. Brelo then jumped on the hood and fired 40 shots into the victims.

No gun was found.

In today's climate, it's easy to see where the anger comes from. No gun. Seemingly excessive shooting. Like it or not, many in the black community see "thought we saw a gun" as a convenient excuse to open fire.

Climbing on the hood and firing fifteen shots through the windshield is what got him charged.

Thank you. He fired 34 shots before he got on the hood. 15 from the hood.

So 130+ shots were fired . Yet no shots were ever fired back.

Again, without knowing what the officers were truly thinking I fully get the anger by the community.

When your on a chase in a vehicle for 22 miles the car is also considered a weapon if you are putting lives at risk.

Also they pull over either near or in a school parking lot. That added to the tension.

My question is why would they run like they did? Does anyone know? Did they have criminal records or warrants out for them or anything like that? I just don't understand why they would lead the police on a 22 mile chase and run their car into a police cruiser?? I am not saying that the police shooting them was just or unjust. I don't know. For those who are saying that they were unarmed and therefore should not be shot at...how were the police supposed to know that based on their actions? This one is really strange IMO.

Too many let the small % of protestors who do damage to property as a way to condemn the entire group who is protesting the right way.

What we need to do is if there are problems in Cleveland (mob violence, looting, etc.) is see if some of the faces in Cleveland are the same in Ferguson and Baltimore. I do wonder how many of the looters are traveling from city to city stirring things up...and paid by ACORN and other like groups...

My question is why would they run like they did? Does anyone know? Did they have criminal records or warrants out for them or anything like that? I just don't understand why they would lead the police on a 22 mile chase and run their car into a police cruiser?? I am not saying that the police shooting them was just or unjust. I don't know. For those who are saying that they were unarmed and therefore should not be shot at...how were the police supposed to know that based on their actions? This one is really strange IMO.

I read that both had records but neither had active warrants and the driver may have had a suspended license...a crack pipe was found in the car. They have no real idea as to why they ran.

No gun was found.

Also add in that multiple Cleveland police officers didn't help with the investigation as well. One officer invoked his fifth amendment rights when called to the stand as a witness.