Darius Miller-Mason County

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Questions:

Are we going to ask the "Lofton" question with every upper tier player Kentucky high schools produce?

It is true Lofton has solid numbers at UT, but how many conference tourney titles or even NCAA tourney wins has UT won with Lofton?

I am not questioning his ability to be able to play at the D1 level, just trying to make sure that we don't place Miller in a position that he cannot live up to. Being in the Cincy area and following games in KY and OH, I have seen the Greyhounds and Miller enough to know that he is a fine player but yet has a ways to go before you can declare him at the level some posters are declaring here.

Questions:

Are we going to ask the "Loften" question with every upper tier player Kentucky high schools produce?

It is true Loften has solid numbers at UT, but how many conference tourney titles or evne NCAA tourney wins has UT won with Loften?

I am not questioning his ability to be able to play at the D1 level, just trying to make sure that we don't place Miller in a position that he cannot live up to. Being in the Cincy are and following games in KY and OH, I have seen the Greyhounds and Miller enough to know that he is a fine player but yet has a ways to go before you can declare him at the level some posters are declaring here.

Stripes,

Lofton was an all-american last year if you missed that. He played on a team that had far better success than Kentucky last season and he is quickly becoming a legend in not only Tennessee basketball but in Kentucky as well. He would have easily been the best player on UK's team (and 95% of the teams in the country) last year.... so your inference that UK didn't really miss anything on Lofton is ridiculous.

As for Miller, he is a Stud. Just because some geek doesn't have him in their top 50 list does not mean he can't play. I can tell you unequivocally he is twice the player right now that Adam Williams is, and somehow AW was good enough to get a scholarship to UK.

Rolls-Royce, at no time did I say Miller was not a talented player. I have seen him play both AAU and high school hoops as much as the next. Who cares if he is better than Adam Williams who NEVER made a contribution at UK? Miller is a gifted player in Kentucky. At the level being talked about now by some, not yet. Will he be at that level come senior year, Miller has a definate strong chance.

I do also agree with your point about the rankings. He is rated the top soph in Kentucky, but not listed anywhere in national rankings. That tells a "small story", but not the whole story and I am not about to try and explain in a small essay on this board. Kentucky basketball is behind in many ways in terms of cranking out players set to go for major D1 play. Just look at last years top KY player Tilford and look at his role at UC. What about this years hoops crop? Not one, none, nada, zero, have signed for a top major program. The closest player even considered in a major D-1 commitment is Stuart Miller of Middlesboro and he is walking on at UL, a walk-on. Now I am not knocking that, that is a great accomplishment for Stuart. I could be wrong about Kentucky's talent, but it looks like the Top 25 D-1 Head Coaches in college hoops agrees with me right now. And yes, some of the talent that is graduating right now were even more built up their soph years than D. Miller is being done so right now.

My point was NOT to compare Lofton and Miller. Lofton is perimeter player who can shoot the lights-out. I never inferred that UK DID NOT lose anything by not getting Lofton. UK fans have however inferred that UK would have won a national title with Loften on UK's roster, and I think that's a little off. I have heard people say "is UK going to let so-and-so slip away like Lofton." Its not only Miller they say that for, but any good prospect in Kentucky for that matter. Miller is a forward with solid range to about 12 feet from the basket and average ballhandling skills. Yes, average handles. He has height and strength, MUST add quickness and better on-ball defense. This is not coming from me, but a few people I know in the the college ranks. I have said it for 2 or 3 years, he is the top player in Kentucky's class of 2008.

The same college people who said Lofton was too short and too slow. How about for once UK getting a player with heart and who can shoot the basketball?

Look at how many jokes this staff has recruited in the past three years. Get the BIG BLUE chip off your shoulder.

Stripes 3........I don't think anyone has implied that UK would have won a national champ. if Lofton was on the team.........But I think everyone agrees that UK would have had a chance to be a better team w/ Lofton........Lofton was one of the biggest "misses" in UK basketball recruiting, so as far as other people comparing recruiting misses to the Lofton miss, especially when it comes to Kentucky kids, then I would say you'll hear that for a couple more years...........Especially when Lofton continues to come to Rupp and torch us for 30 plus.......Anyway, Lofton wasn't ranked very high nationally either, so I don't put a lot of emphasis on those rankings.........I think a good national ranking has a lot to do with the team you play on, camps you go to, etc.......I've seen guys with high rankings make very little impact and guys who barely crack the rankings be all-americans............

Anyway, back to thread on Miller.........Not sure, who's giving him the OK grade on his ball handling skills.........For a kid 6'6", or for that matter in general, his ball handling skills are very good........As a matter of fact, he handled the ball on the perimeter for Mason Co. a lot this year and even brought the ball up the floor some.........You won't see a 3 man in college bringing the ball up the floor.......His range definitely extends beyond the 3 point line and he has a nice stroke, but he does need to get more consistent shooting the ball from behind the arc.........I really shoudn't say consistent, I should say confident........He has the potential and will be a solid 3 point shooter when he get's confident enough to just catch and shoot.....This will open up his drives to the basket even more........Anyway, Darius' upside is unbelievable and he doesn't need any national recruiting analyst to verify that........

Anyway, back to thread on Miller.........Not sure, who's giving him the OK grade on his ball handling skills.........For a kid 6'6", or for that matter in general, his ball handling skills are very good........As a matter of fact, he handled the ball on the perimeter for Mason Co. a lot this year and even brought the ball up the floor some.........You won't see a 3 man in college bringing the ball up the floor.......His range definitely extends beyond the 3 point line and he has a nice stroke, but he does need to get more consistent shooting the ball from behind the arc.........I really shoudn't say consistent, I should say confident........He has the potential and will be a solid 3 point shooter when he gets confident enough to just catch and shoot.....This will open up his drives to the basket even more........Anyway, Darius' upside is unbelievable and he doesn't need any national recruiting analyst to verify that........

:thumb: More confidence is what he needs, and I think we will see more confidence these nest two seasons. He has 3 years varsity ball under his belt it is his time to shine. All the main players above him are gone. He needs to be the leader and take control of his team. I look forward to watching Darius these next two seasons. He is going to be a special player. I just hope people don't try to compare him to Lofton, that wood be unfair. Just let Darius play his own game, and he will be just fine. I am going on record to say Darius Miller Mr. Basketball in 08.

Miller can play and is only going to get better. Needs to get a little more aggressive on the boards and improve the 3pt pct

This is what I believe will be Millers only setback. He needs to get mean and nasty sometimes. Some kids just don't have that ability.

Kids demeanors on the floor rarely change from year to year. Miller is a quiet, repectful kid, just like Lofton... I really don't see him ever being a guy who shows a ton of emotion of the floor, it simply is not part of his personality and he shouldn't try to be someone he is not.

IMO, he could afford to be a little more assertive offensively, but I am pretty sure he will next year. O'Hearn is a smart coach too, I am sure he will set up on offensive system that will highlight Miller more this year and do all he can to encourage him to do more on the offensive end.

D.Miller is a great player to watch. I think he needs to realize how good he can truly be. He could take over any game if he wanted to. I think he needs to assert himself more, like Rolls-Royce said, instead of trying to be mean and nasty. UK will offer a scholarship if Tubby is still there, because they have already been burned once by not recruiting YOUKNOWWHO, and Darius would be a great pick up. I may have missed it somewhere on here, but how tall is this kid??? He looks about 6'8 on the court.

Miller is a phenomenal ball player. Ball handling weakness???????? I'm gonna go with not a chance. He does make some mistakes when he's handling the ball but they are decision based and he is young. He needs to improve his outside shot. As far as the aggressive thing, look at what everyone said about Tayshaun Prince at KY. I was constantly telling people that's his demeanor. Keaton Belcher got the same critisism at Pendleton and it simply wasn't true in that case either. Just because a player is level headed and doesn't vocally show their emotion does not mean they are not hustling or being aggressive.

This from a recent article in the Danville paper:

Vaught's Views: Mason County has another basketball star

By LARRY VAUGHT

larry@amnews.com

Darius Miller is so overwhelmed with all the attention he's receiving from major college basketball coaches that he doesn't always even tell his friends what is happening.

"It's just so early that I really don't want to talk about it that much with my friends," the 6-6 Mason County sophomore said. "It still amazes me and has surprised me that so many coaches have been in contact or offered scholarships. But I try not to worry about it too much right now."

Miller likely is going to hear from a lot more college coaches, too. He's ranked as one of the top 10 returning players in Kentucky next year after helping Mason reach the state quarterfinals in March.

This from a recent article in the Danville paper:

Vaught's Views: Mason County has another basketball star

By LARRY VAUGHT

larry@amnews.com

Darius Miller is so overwhelmed with all the attention he's receiving from major college basketball coaches that he doesn't always even tell his friends what is happening.

"It's just so early that I really don't want to talk about it that much with my friends," the 6-6 Mason County sophomore said. "It still amazes me and has surprised me that so many coaches have been in contact or offered scholarships. But I try not to worry about it too much right now."

Miller likely is going to hear from a lot more college coaches, too. He's ranked as one of the top 10 returning players in Kentucky next year after helping Mason reach the state quarterfinals in March.

Good read. I wish Darius the best and I'd love to see him in blue......