Cop With No Sense: Autistic 11 Year Old Charged With Felony Assault

JokersWild24

I couldn't find any articles from any decent websites.

And the officer arrested him according to your article. I'm asking if he was actually arrested and transported to a jail. Nothing in the article clarifies that does it?

It shouldn't surprise me that out of all the people involved in this situation, you place the majority of the blame on the officer with out even knowing all of the details.

Then check your sources.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I understand that, trust me, I do. The point I've been making is that it's a bit of a stacked deck. Officer's word versus those of a kid with communication disorders.

I didn't make excuses for the attorney, I offered a possible reason why.

I don't understand why you keep saying it's the cops words vs the kid. The article clearly states the principal sent the officer to the room and a teacher witnessed the confrontation. The mother says the educators stood by while they handcuffed him and took him right to juvenile court. That must be the fastest court system in America if he went straight from the school to court.

I don't know if what the officer did is right or not, the article you posted only stated the facts as: principal ordered officer to room to bring him to office, kid fought back, teacher witnessed it, officer filed charges and he was found guilty.

If I read that article, my thread title would have been "defense attorney with no sense can not get client off". He should be fired for incompetency.

That's why I said there needs to be more to this story since he was charged, teachers witnessed it, prosecutors followed thru on it, and a judge convicted him. Officer could have been totally wrong but I can't decide from that article. Feel free to post more articles stating what actually happened.

I don't understand why you keep saying it's the cops words vs the kid. The article clearly states the principal sent the officer to the room and a teacher witnessed the confrontation. The mother says the educators stood by while they handcuffed him and took him right to juvenile court. That must be the fastest court system in America if he went straight from the school to court.

I don't know if what the officer did is right or not, the article you posted only stated the facts as: principal ordered officer to room to bring him to office, kid fought back, teacher witnessed it, officer filed charges and he was found guilty.

If I read that article, my thread title would have been "defense attorney with no sense can not get client off". He should be fired for incompetency.

That's why I said there needs to be more to this story since he was charged, teachers witnessed it, prosecutors followed thru on it, and a judge convicted him. Officer could have been totally wrong but I can't decide from that article. Feel free to post more articles stating what actually happened.

Cant bethe defense attorneys fault, he's probably just over worked.

Then check your sources.

I googled the kids name and the first four pages all had the exact same article just on different websites. I found no other articles with any other info. It looks like it is tied to a story about VA has the most students referred to law enforcement.

The other thing I don't understand and the article never explains it, why is the kid not allowed to leave when the rest of his class does. If he is in with other special ed students, why can't he leave when they leave. Has there been trouble before or are the discriminating against him. Another fact we don't know.

The other thing I don't understand and the article never explains it, why is the kid not allowed to leave when the rest of his class does. If he is in with other special ed students, why can't he leave when they leave. Has there been trouble before or are the discriminating against him. Another fact we don't know.

SRO probably says he can't. He's probably an expert in early childhood autism and knew how to deal with kid. Sorry if I think charging the kid with 'disorderly conduct', much less felonious assault on an officer in this situation. Before he went to court, before this was reviewed by a DA, it was the officer's word and what he charged him with. Do you think the DA looked at the charge he presented and then upgraded it because they thought that was the thing to do?

Sorry if I find the whole situation ridiculous and outrageous.

SRO probably says he can't. He's probably an expert in early childhood autism and knew how to deal with kid. Sorry if I think charging the kid with 'disorderly conduct', much less felonious assault on an officer in this situation. Before he went to court, before this was reviewed by a DA, it was the officer's word and what he charged him with. Do you think the DA looked at the charge he presented and then upgraded it because they thought that was the thing to do?

You are making a lot of assumptions. How do you know the school policy is if a kid makes any trouble, he is to be charged.

I think the DA looked at the charge and said with the evidence we have and eye witness account of the teacher(s), there is enough evidence to charge to prosecute. And obviously the judge agreed.

Again, I have no idea if this is the case, we do not have enough info. I am not going to call an officer an idiot if I don't know the facts on why the kid was not allowed to leave with other students and why the DA decided there was case to prosecute and a judge agreed.

You are making a lot of assumptions. How do you know the school policy is if a kid makes any trouble, he is to be charged.

I think the DA looked at the charge and said with the evidence we have and eye witness account of the teacher(s), there is enough evidence to charge to prosecute. And obviously the judge agreed.

Again, I have no idea if this is the case, we do not have enough info. I am not going to call an officer an idiot if I don't know the facts on why the kid was not allowed to leave with other students and why the DA decided there was case to prosecute and a judge agreed.

I didn't call him an idiot... I said he had no sense. And I think the article's mention of some of the Judge's comments kind of reflect that he really doesn't have a good idea of it either. The family has some obstacles in their way for an appeal because of the nature of the process, otherwise they'd have done so, and another Judge probably doesn't share that view... but I'm sure everyone probably knew that already.

You make a lot of negative assumptions when it comes to police. You consistently make condescending comments about people in the profession.

Just because he's a police officer and an SRO, that doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing.

And the prosecuting attorney clearly agreed with the charges. As did a judge after hearing everything. Yet all of your rage is still directed at the officer because you think he was wrong. Funny, because the people with all of the facts seem to have agreed with him...

Do you think you know more re: this states laws than the judge or prosecutor?

I didn't call him an idiot... I said he had no sense. And I think the article's mention of some of the Judge's comments kind of reflect that he really doesn't have a good idea of it either. The family has some obstacles in their way for an appeal because of the nature of the process, otherwise they'd have done so, and another Judge probably doesn't share that view... but I'm sure everyone probably knew that already.

You didn't have to actually call him an idiot, it's easy to see that you think he's one.

I'd say no one here knows how another judge feels because none of us know the other judge.

It sounds as if the teachers could not handle him and the officer did what officers do when faced with unruly people. It doesn't sound as if any of the teachers tried to intervene on behalf of the child. There is definately more to the story. Perhaps he is more of a behavior problem than the teachers could handle. To blame the officer is wrong IMO.

It sounds as if the teachers could not handle him and the officer did what officers do when faced with unruly people. It doesn't sound as if any of the teachers tried to intervene on behalf of the child. There is definately more to the story. Perhaps he is more of a behavior problem than the teachers could handle. To blame the officer is wrong IMO.

My point with this is that in most States, the statute on felony assault on an officer is usually littered with language about inflicting serious bodily injury, trying to take an officer's weapon, at least leaving some visible injuries past a scrape. That's my problem here.

My apologies if I think the SRO is a little overzealous in saying that an autistic 11 year old with some obvious developmental disabilities hurt him when he jerked away from him as he was being grabbed (most autistic children are very sensitive to touch and that is an obvious thing that will set them off).

I do agree that there are more people than just the SRO who have failed the kid in some ways, but the DA made their decision on what to charge based on his report, it's not like the DA calls up the Defendant and asks them their side before going further. Either way, the article and others show that this kind of thing is a pretty common occurrence in Virginia.

I generally wouldn't advise that people in situations like these go run to the media when they are dead wrong, that's usually a horrible idea because people start poking holes in your story if there are any. In this case, it's probably more like they felt like it was all they could do.

My point with this is that in most States, the statute on felony assault on an officer is usually littered with language about inflicting serious bodily injury, trying to take an officer's weapon, at least leaving some visible injuries past a scrape. That's my problem here.

My apologies if I think the SRO is a little overzealous in saying that an autistic 11 year old with some obvious developmental disabilities hurt him when he jerked away from him as he was being grabbed (most autistic children are very sensitive to touch and that is an obvious thing that will set them off).

I do agree that there are more people than just the SRO who have failed the kid in some ways, but the DA made their decision on what to charge based on his report, it's not like the DA calls up the Defendant and asks them their side before going further. Either way, the article and others show that this kind of thing is a pretty common occurrence in Virginia.

I generally wouldn't advise that people in situations like these go run to the media when they are dead wrong, that's usually a horrible idea because people start poking holes in your story if there are any. In this case, it's probably more like they felt like it was all they could do.

Kinda like your thread on the actress that cried racism and harassment..I think your line of thought was there is no way she's wrong or she wouldn't have went public.

JW24 you keep talking about the officer and how he handled this situation. Let's back up a second. The Teacher and Principal both knew of the boys condition and I would venture that at least one of them (maybe both) has some advanced special ed training that would allow them to be better educated and prepared to handle an Autistic child. The teacher could not handle the situation and contacted the principal and the principal contacted the SRO. An SRO that may or may not 1) Know the boy was Autistic and 2) may or may not have any extra training on how to deal with him.

If the teacher and the principal had no way to handle the child the officer seems to have done what was needed.

If your only complaint is with what he was charged with...then you really don't have much to complain about. Start a thread on the abuse of power by the DA that should have seen this for what it was (in your opinion) and could have dropped the charges but instead decided to throw the book at the kid. Or maybe a thread on a judge that has a God Complex and rules from the bench without compassion.