Cop With No Sense: Autistic 11 Year Old Charged With Felony Assault

JokersWild24

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The officer didn't either most likely. I'd say that was up to the prosecuting attorney, wouldn't you?

Officers have discretion on what to charge with. Unless someone dies or something happens later on, I'd say it's rarer that you see a charge upgraded from what's reported.

Then I guess the kids defense attorney was terrible then. If an officer made up a charge and it went to court, wouldn't the defense bring in the witnesses to say that's not the way it happened. So if someone punches a guy in the face next to me but the officer charges me, there's nothing I can do because it's the officers word against mine. I can't bring witnesses that swear under oath it wasn't me and the officer doesn't have to prove it was me? I guess I still don't understand.

And don't get me wrong, I did say it seemed excessive, but I am not about to call the officer an idiot because there may be more to the story. I am leaning towards the defense attorney was the idiot.

Or the defense attorney was an overworked public defender.

Call witnesses? The kid was autistic and I'm going to say 100% was in a class with other students with learning disabilities. It's not always as easy as "well, someone had to have saw something". If someone doesn't send tape to the media, there's a cop in South Carolina with a justified shooting. The absence of proof wouldn't have changed what really transpired, only the outcome.

Yet your thread title and post only mentions the "cop with no sense".

I should have titled it "Cop with Exceptionally Good Judgment Charges Autistic 11 Year Old With Felony Assault".

Legitimately, do you think it was a good decision on his behalf to charge what he did?

Well, he kind of is the key person here. It's not like anyone went against his word, or that there was a case without it.

Who called him in the first place? Who went forward with charges? Who found the kid guilty? Who was the kids attorney?

Officers have discretion on what to charge with. Unless someone dies or something happens later on, I'd say it's rarer that you see a charge upgraded from what's reported.

Prosecutors have to decide whether or not to go on with the charges, even in a juveniles case.

Plenty of people were ok with the charges, yet you only blame the officer. You then make excuses for the defense attorney...

I should have titled it "Cop with Exceptionally Good Judgment Charges Autistic 11 Year Old With Felony Assault".

Legitimately, do you think it was a good decision on his behalf to charge what he did?

I dont know, I wasn't there.

Prosecutors have to decide whether or not to go on with the charges, even in a juveniles case.

Plenty of people were ok with the charges, yet you only blame the officer. You then make excuses for the defense attorney...

Thanks. I understand that, trust me, I do. The point I've been making is that it's a bit of a stacked deck. Officer's word versus those of a kid with communication disorders.

I didn't make excuses for the attorney, I offered a possible reason why.

I dont know, I wasn't there.

And this is the second time that officer had arrested him. The first time was "disorderly conduct" for kicking a trash can.

Sorry if I don't want someone like that "protecting" kids at school, much less ones that children with exceptional needs like autism have.

The Judge in this case was also quoted saying that the 11 year old who was facing a felony was "handled with kid gloves" if that gives you a glimpse into him.

And this is the second time that officer had arrested him. The first time was "disorderly conduct" for kicking a trash can.

Sorry if I don't want someone like that "protecting" kids at school, much less ones that children with exceptional needs like autism have.

The Judge in this case was also quoted saying that the 11 year old who was facing a felony was "handled with kid gloves" if that gives you a glimpse into him.

You seem to know so much about this case based on one news article with one side of the story.

Did the officer actually arrest him the first time, as in take him to jail? Or did he cite him and release him to his parents? Did he call a juvenile court employee, like he would have had to in Kentucky?

If I'm not mistaken, before a kid can actually be arrested here in KY, a couple of people aside from the arresting officer have to sign off on it. Maybe rocket or someone else can confirm. Is that the case there?

Thankfully it's not up to you to decide who works in that school. Its up to people much closer to the situation.

Forgive me if I don't condemn an officer based on one article. Especially when so many other people were likely involved in the decision making process. Not to mention the fact that we don't know all of the details.

What if that is the schools policy, anyone damaging property, or getting in a physical altercation with staff is arrested.

You seem to know so much about this case based on one news article with one side of the story.

Did the officer actually arrest him the first time, as in take him to jail? Or did he cite him and release him to his parents? Did he call a juvenile court employee, like he would have had to in Kentucky?

If I'm not mistaken, before a kid can actually be arrested here in KY, a couple of people aside from the arresting officer have to sign off on it. Maybe rocket or someone else can confirm. Is that the case there?

Thankfully it's not up to you to decide who works in that school. Its up to people much closer to the situation.

Forgive me if I don't condemn an officer based on one article. Especially when so many other people were likely involved in the decision making process. Not to mention the fact that we don't know all of the details.

There are plenty of articles being written about it, and with good reason. Yes, the officer arrested the student twice.

It's fine that I don't get to decide who works in schools, but I hope to be in a situation where I don't have to send my kids to them either if I don't want to.

What if that is the schools policy, anyone damaging property, or getting in a physical altercation with staff is arrested.

If it's the bolded, then better hope your kindergartener doesn't break the teacher's stapler or something. He'll be like the four year old mentioned in the article that an SRO felt the need to handcuff.

If it's the bolded, then better hope your kindergartener doesn't break the teacher's stapler or something. He'll be like the four year old mentioned in the article that an SRO felt the need to handcuff.

1. nothings bolded

2. While it would be awesome to have a 4 year old ready to be in school, most that I know wont allow it till 5 years old.

3. If my kid used the stapler as a weapon in school, it just might be warranted.

There are plenty of articles being written about it, and with good reason. Yes, the officer arrested the student twice.

It's fine that I don't get to decide who works in schools, but I hope to be in a situation where I don't have to send my kids to them either if I don't want to.

I couldn't find any articles from any decent websites.

And the officer arrested him according to your article. I'm asking if he was actually arrested and transported to a jail. Nothing in the article clarifies that does it?

It shouldn't surprise me that out of all the people involved in this situation, you place the majority of the blame on the officer with out even knowing all of the details.