Blake Smith - 2016 Guard, Clay County - Jr. Highlights

Overall, a tough guard who has great leaping ability and shows nice quickness. Most mountain kids aren't known for their athleticism, but he has it, and it's not uncommon to see games where he has multiple dunks, some even coming in traffic. Plays fearlessly and in attack mode on the offensive side of the ball. Good bloodlines (Dad was a star on Clay County's 1992 team, IIRC).

Offensively, he's more than just a slasher, as he has the ability to shoot and is capable of creating his own shot. Can use his athleticism to score by taking it all the way to the rim, or by pulling up and/or jumping over his defender for a clean look. More of a scorer, but he can work as a combo guard, as he played the point for a considerable amount of time this past year out of necessity. Shows a tendency to attack the middle of the floor, which can open things up for others offensively, but is also able to work from either baseline if asked. Good jump stop and floater, as well as an adequate move to pull up and go over you, so he has a few different ways that he can score. For the next level, you'd like to see him improve the way he creates space on his pull-ups and to bulk up and be able to absorb some of the contact he'll be asked to take and finish through at higher levels, but all of the tools are there and I don't doubt that he could do either.

Defensively, he's able to use his leaping ability to get quite a few blocks, whether they be chase-downs or challenges where someone tries to go straight up over him. That tells me that he doesn't need a ton of space or momentum to get up, and that he has a good standing vertical. He plays passing lanes pretty well and has active hands; he also knows what to do with it in transition when he picks a pass or rips a dribble. Is a solid rebounder for his size given his ability to go up over players of similar height and snag the board. As for defensive at the next level, the improvements he'll likely be asked to make are the same as those on offense-- bulking up, and then using that weight to be more of a bully on-ball defender. Again, the tools are there and as he gets older, I am not doubting that he's able to bulk up without losing the athleticism that separates him from most others right now.

I think your break down was spot on joker. As for now he is in the weight room or gym everyday of the week as that's what's been ask of him from college's. Right now he will be making 4 or 5 visits this summer. He currently has 8 elite camp scheduled for this summer that include Costal Carolina, Brown University,UAH, Stetson University, and WKU. Air Force is also actively recruiting him. Was told this week by his dad that he will be playing AAU sporadically in between the elite camps and visits. Blake is an extremely hard worker and has a bright future IMO

I think your break down was spot on joker. As for now he is in the weight room or gym everyday of the week as that's what's been ask of him from college's. Right now he will be making 4 or 5 visits this summer. He currently has 8 elite camp scheduled for this summer that include Costal Carolina, Brown University,UAH, Stetson University, and WKU. Air Force is also actively recruiting him. Was told this week by his dad that he will be playing AAU sporadically in between the elite camps and visits. Blake is an extremely hard worker and has a bright future IMO

Thanks, much appreciated.

Agree that he seems like a hard worker. Hope to see him improving his game this summer and doing well both next year and at the next level.

Here you go joker. Dunk in traffic over a 6'8 and 6'7 big at the all american camp.

https://instagram.com/p/1Wb-Znhmrz/

Woooohhhooooo.

Can't wait to see him back and hungry next season.

People who aren't familiar with kids like this who play at smaller schools in areas like EKY might not take him seriously, but they should do so at their own risk. Kid can play, and I'm usually someone who is especially hard on mountain kids, so it's not a homer compliment that I'm throwing around.

What camp was this at?

Scouts focus All American camp. It was ran in conjunction with the NBA top 100 on University of Virginia campus. I think I am saying this correct. Not 100% sure. Just know it was an invite only all american camp.

Cool. Best of luck to him. Keep us informed on how he did and when he goes to other camps, plays in bigger AAU events, etc.

• 2 months later...

From what i was told today he has committed to TBC elite for the July session. He had only played 2 tournaments in the spring session due to prior obligations with college and elite camps. Was told today that Furman has inquired along with 8 to 10 other schools in the past couple of weeks.