Bright spots on dwarf planet Ceres, what is it?

SportsGuy41017

What exactly is a "Dwarf Planet"?

It's a body that meets some -- but not all -- of the criteria for being designated a planet. Ceres, like the recently re-designated Pluto, orbits the sun and has its forces in the appropriate equilibrium to hold the body together. However, it has not "cleared the neighborhood" which is the euphemism for being the only body in its particular orbit using its own mass to either eject or absorb the other bodies. It's why things in the asteroid belt aren't categorized as planets; too many other things that no body has as yet been large enough to get rid of.

However, it has not "cleared the neighborhood" which is the euphemism for being the only body in its particular orbit using its own mass to either eject or absorb the other bodies. It's why things in the asteroid belt aren't categorized as planets; too many other things that no body has as yet been large enough to get rid of.

I got the 1st two sentences, but this part just confuses me more. Say what? :lol2:

I got the 1st two sentences, but this part just confuses me more. Say what? :lol2:

So any body that orbits the sun does so in a certain path. Venus orbits the sun at about 67 million miles away on average. Mars at about 140 million miles from the sun. The Earth sits in between at about 93 million miles.

In that window. Between Mars and Venus where the Earth sits and orbits, there are no other objects orbiting besides the Earth and the Moon. Earth has either absorbed them with it's own gravity or tossed them out of its orbit. Nothing else orbits the sun at approximately 93 million miles give or take a couple million in either direction.

So any body that orbits the sun does so in a certain path. Venus orbits the sun at about 67 million miles away on average. Mars at about 140 million miles from the sun. The Earth sits in between at about 93 million miles.

In that window. Between Mars and Venus where the Earth sits and orbits, there are no other objects orbiting besides the Earth and the Moon. Earth has either absorbed them with it's own gravity or tossed them out of its orbit. Nothing else orbits the sun at approximately 93 million miles give or take a couple million in either direction.

Okay, that one I understand. Thank you sir! :thumb:

So Earth is Hitler? Great. Just great.