Best Fish Sandwich in NKY

Blue Magic

Oh how I miss the Dinner Bell. Have never found anything to this day that can match their fish sandwich!

Not to thread jack, but that is a blast from the past. Remind me, where were the (if any) Dinner Bell's in NKY. I still remember their jingle.

Any Bill Knapp's fans out there?

Back to the thread, Mary Queen of Heaven has about the best in the area. Dixie High School has had one the last couple of years, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Not to thread jack, but that is a blast from the past. Remind me, where were the (if any) Dinner Bell's in NKY. I still remember their jingle.

Any Bill Knapp's fans out there?

Back to the thread, Mary Queen of Heaven has about the best in the area. Dixie High School has had one the last couple of years, but I haven't checked it out yet.

The Dinner Bell in Southgate was not a chain. The building it was in had been there since the horse and buggy days. As a restaurant, it was owned by the Rust family, they raised their seven children on the second floor of the building. When their catering business took off Larry Rust closed the restaurant except for Fridays, when he sold fish sandwiches. The absolute best fish sandwiches I've ever had in my life. During lent, if you didn't order early in the morning on Thursdays, you were out of luck. They would often sell out Friday's sandwiches within two hours on Thursday morning.

Sadly, when Thelma and Larry Rust got too old to continue they closed as the children didn't want to take over. It was a legendary, iconic place. One I'm glad I had the privilege to have in my area and one I will forever miss. The fish was just that good.

Newport Elks does a nice job.

St. Mary's Alexandria is doing the first 3 weeks only. Get the hand breaded cat fish. I normally work it but have other fish to fry the first 2 weekends.

Failed to mention Green Derby. Not sure it is still the same since they had new management?

LL

• 3 weeks later...

Since I did not see a fish fry thread I'll use this one.

Went out to Mary Queen of Heaven about 7PM last night, And quickly left to go elsewhere, as during the 10 minutes I was in line I moved about 15 feet! The line was almost the end of the hallway, so it was at least 100 feet long.

I decided to go to Saint Agnes. The fish was good, I liked the slaw, but the mac and cheese needs to go! It had no taste at all and was so cold you would think they had it in the fridge overnight (I love mac and cheese, but if I go back there it will be after there is a change to the mac and cheese). A couple of weeks ago I did have two separate people tell me that they will never have the mac and cheese there again. Too many kids running around bumping into people's chairs, spilled my drink once because of it, and it happened to someone else at my table as well.

The good thing about Saint Agnes is that they are open from 5-11PM. But they don't hold have it every week of Lent.

I may attempt to get to MQH as soon as they open next week though. I can't believe at how busy they are that it's only from 4-8PM. Seems like they would be open longer. I have had their drive thu before, and their mac and cheese was tasty and warm.