December 15, 201411 yr I rarely make time for NFL games. I live, literally, 7 minutes from Paul Brown Stadium and haven't been but twice since it's opened. Too many rules to make it fun. Not as flashy or exciting as college football. To me, the NFL is comparable to the Big 10, slow and boring. I guess I could almost buy boring, but slow? come on man.
December 15, 201411 yr Not slow in terms of the guys, because there are some ridiculously fast players. In terms of play development, is where I think it's slow.
December 15, 201411 yr Totally agree and I wonder if those are something that will ever be discussed. I understand the fear that we are gonna extend the games time-wise, but I'd prefer that they are correct. Especially considering the major impact some of these calls have on the game. A 15 yard penalty and automatic first down can drastically change a series.
December 15, 201411 yr Jason Worilds got flagged today for a form tackle on Ryan for a sack and 10yd loss. Mike Pereira says shouldn't have been called. Was 3rd down and would have forced a punt. Instead they drove down for a TD. I wish they'd go to replay for these or penalized the officials after the fact at the very least. They were both terrible calls, but I thought this one was worse than the one in the 49ers game. This play was an actual tackle, at least the hit on Wilson was after he released the ball.
December 15, 201411 yr The NFL is the ultimate television sport and it is a blast to watch from my vantage. Fantasy has changed how people watch, but that is only a fraction of the reason it crushes other shows in the ratings. I have a profound appreciation for talented athletes of that caliber competing. Purely subjective of course.
December 15, 201411 yr My biggest beef with the roughing the passer call on Wilson is that the exact same play happened the play before and no flags were thrown then. Both plays Wilson was hit after he threw the ball in the same way but it was a flag on 3rd and long. That's crazy as hell.
December 15, 201411 yr Does anyone have video of the play in question? I watched Sportscenter a bit in the evening yesterday and didn't see the ball. They merely made reference to it by saying "Wilson took advantage of a controversial roughing the passer penalty..."
December 15, 201411 yr I thought that Philly got several bad calls that went against them in the first half that led to two of Dallas first 3 TD's.
December 15, 201411 yr I agree something is going to have to give next year with a DB putting a hand on the receiver and getting flagged. I would guess there are more defensive illegal contact calls than offensive holding called. At least one thrown every drive it seems like. I don't know if they want to turn it into a video type game scoring, but the defense is so limited on what it can do now, not sure how they can stop offenses. Also, the kick off has basically been taken out of the game in college and pro. Very small percentage of kickoffs brought out of the end zone. I know it is a safety thing, but it does hurt the overall strategy of the game. Harder for teams that gave up a score to get momentum without a big kickoff return.
December 15, 201411 yr Could be worse. :( I won't be renewing my Bucs tickets. It's not as fun as the college game day atmosphere, to me anyway, and doing both leaves me no time for anything else. I understand. I shouldn't complain. The Giants have won 4 super bowls in my life, 2 of which I was old enough to enjoy. Many fans don't get to see their team win one. It still sucks seeing them play so badly though. I'm hoping it's just a rebuilding year :lol2:
December 15, 201411 yr This is the first year within the last 20 years or so that I have not had a fantasy football team. When I was playing fantasy football I was glued to the TV, or constantly on my phone, anytime a NFL game was in progress. This year, however, I have watched very little of the NFL. I don't even miss it. I'll probably watch a few more games once the playoffs start, but so far I just haven't had much desire to watch the NFL. It is nice to have my Sundays free again. I still watch college football just about all day on Saturdays, but for me the NFL just isn't as exciting.
December 16, 201411 yr Irish Cat, as Sam Wyche once said, "there's plenty of golf and tennis to be played"...you have your Sundays back. I've played FF for 20 years. If and when I stop, I will be right with you as far as not watching.
December 16, 201411 yr There should be a study done by an independent party to evaluate the impact of todays NFL officiating. Evaluate the penalties and their impact on the standings, then publish what the actual standings would be according to say, 1985 rules. I don't know that this is possible. Sure you could look at TD's that called back. But it's impossible to determine exactly the impact, as you never know how the next play (and really the whole series of plays) would've have worked out had the penalty not been called.
December 16, 201411 yr I'm paraphrasing but why did Mark Cuban said the NFL would implode, has run its course (whatever it was). I'm pretty sure he has been trying to get a team and has not been successful but what reason did he give for the demise of the NFL? Could he be right?
December 17, 201411 yr I'm paraphrasing but why did Mark Cuban said the NFL would implode, has run its course (whatever it was). I'm pretty sure he has been trying to get a team and has not been successful but what reason did he give for the demise of the NFL? Could he be right? Something about them thinking they can do whatever they wish and people will still watch.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.