Old Cardinal Stadium Demolition Begins Monday

Getslow

Setting aside the moment in 1997 when the clock ran out in the fourth quarter and the Cov Cath team I was playing on defeated Hopkinsville to become the AAA state champions...

I would have to go with the final drive of the 1994 AAA state championship. I was 13 years old, and watching from the stands for the fourth time as my Colonels played in the championship game. Bowling Green was driving hard, starting their drive at their own 39 yard line, but their offense struggled both with communication from the sidelines to the field and amongst the players on the field as well, and time ran out as they had just gotten a first and goal on the 3 yard line. Talk about a nail-biter.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Typo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there in 95' for the Class A final and I forget who Beechwood was playing that year but the BW QB took the snap with a few seconds on the clock and instead of taking a knee, he threw the ball into the air and the opposing team picked it off. They play however was blown dead by the zebras and BW escaped with the title. The runner-up trophy was left at mid field under protest by the opposing team. That was a wild finish to say the least. Anyone remember who BW played that day?

In 95 BW played and lost to Mayfield. I think the game you're thinking of was maybe 93??????

I hated playing on that field. It felt like concrete covered by a layer of that outdoor carpet. On top of that, the dirt spots around bases were ridiculous! Even though it was not the best playing field, I will always remember watching and playing there. Oh yeah, the visitor locker room was about as big as my garage.............and pretty trashy.

I remember in 2004 we practiced at Old Cardinal stadium because it had rained for two or three straight days and we did not get many opportunities to practice outside. It was one of the memories that was special because of all the games and players that had played on that field, but at the same time it was a reminder of why it was no longer played on.

My favorite memory is the 1999 4A state championship game between St. X and Bryan Station. Not quite the level of Male/Trinity in 2002, but pretty close. It was a punch, counter punch type of game and I can still see Eric Shelton running all over the place too. But I also will never forget the "flop" by St. X's defensive line or seeing Ryan Payne dive into the end zone behind RT Will Rabatin.

I remember my freshman year at Trinity in 1998 when Old Cardinal held a playoff doubleheader.

Trinity played Ballard and Male played Fern Creek in playoff games back to back. I don't know how often they did that, but that was a fun night.

Setting aside the moment in 1997 when the clock ran out in the fourth quarter and the Cov Cath team I was playing on defeated Hopkinsville to become the AAA state champions, I would have to go with the final drive of the 1994 AAA state championship. I was 13 years old, and watching from the stands for the fourth time as my Colonels played in the championship game. Bowling Green was driving hard, starting their drive at their own 39 yard line, but their offense struggled both with communication from the sidelines to the field and amongst the players on the field as well, and time ran out as they had just gotten a first an goal on the 3 yard line. Talk about a nail-biter.

WOW Worst clock management that I've seen in a long time...

I have GREAT memories of the olden days when 4A played down to a Jefferson County champion and every JeffCo. playoff game was in Cardinal stadium. Great double headers Friday and Saturday nights culminating in a last team standing county champion. Then after that a weekend of state championship football.

I have GREAT memories of the olden days when 4A played down to a Jefferson County champion and every JeffCo. playoff game was in Cardinal stadium. Great double headers Friday and Saturday nights culminating in a last team standing county champion. Then after that a weekend of state championship football.

Part of me wishes they still did a little of that.

How fun would it be if Male/Trinity and Manual/St. X was a doubleheader at a big facility tonight?

I have a friend who talks constantly about the fact that they should have some sort of plaque or memorial for John Tong at or near the PA announcers table at UofL basketball games. He was just the best.

Yes he was! And I agree on the plaque/memorial as well. I can hear those dulcet tones echoing around Freedom Hall right now! "Gooaaalll by .......

I remember my freshman year at Trinity in 1998 when Old Cardinal held a playoff doubleheader.

Trinity played Ballard and Male played Fern Creek in playoff games back to back. I don't know how often they did that, but that was a fun night.

I remember in '94, I was in 2nd grade going to Cardinal Stadium for a double header. St. X played Fern Creek and Trinity played someone, but can't recall who.

Yes he was! And I agree on the plaque/memorial as well. I can hear those dulcet tones echoing around Freedom Hall right now! "Gooaaalll by .......

For the rest of my life, every time someone gets whistled for traveling, all I can hear in my head is, "Steps called. Louisville basketball."