PC Help?

SportsGuy41017

Last week I got a virus on my PC and I can't remove it.

Every time I try to open Internet Explorer I get a message saying "proxy server isn't responding". And instead of Google showing up in the search thing, it says search.net?

About a half hour after this stated I noticed a "search module" that I can't remove. I tried to open Yahoo messenger and that won't open either. A friend DL'ed Tor onto a flash drive and that works. But I want to get rid of this virus.

I have a lot of things on my search history in IE, so I would need to somehow save all of those, if it's something where I would need to remove IE.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this virus?

Thanks!

Last week I got a virus on my PC and I can't remove it.

Every time I try to open Internet Explorer I get a message saying "proxy server isn't responding". And instead of Google showing up in the search thing, it says search.net?

About a half hour after this stated I noticed a "search module" that I can't remove. I tried to open Yahoo messenger and that won't open either. A friend DL'ed Tor onto a flash drive and that works. But I want to get rid of this virus.

I have a lot of things on my search history in IE, so I would need to somehow save all of those, if it's something where I would need to remove IE.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this virus?

Thanks!

Everything you should need can be found for free on Cnet. Download one of the anti virus/malware programs. I have always used AVG and simply run them and it should take care of the problem. You may have to be in safe mode since it isn't letting you access IE.

CCleaner and Malwarebytes both do a good job. One good thing CCleaner does is correct registry errors. If a computer is really messed up - then freeware called Combofix is wonderful. It should be used as a last resort though as you can lose some of the data you do not want to. But, I have seen it correct root kit virus's that nothing else will clean. Even the antivirus stuff the company pays for would not clean it. Combofix did.

CCleaner and Malwarebytes both do a good job. One good thing CCleaner does is correct registry errors. If a computer is really messed up - then freeware called Combofix is wonderful. It should be used as a last resort though as you can lose some of the data you do not want to. But' date=' I have seen it correct root kit virus's that nothing else will clean. Even the antivirus stuff the company pays for would not clean it. Combofix did.[/quote']

Thanks, I have ccleaner, I'll try that

Thanks, I have ccleaner, I'll try that

I would run in safe mode, and also make sure you run both the cleaner, and then the registry fix. I often run it several times one after the other as well. Sometimes it finds things the second time that were masked the first time.

For some reason the past has disappeared :(

I ran it last week and it said there was an error, I tried again and the past dates were gone

A number of viruses will delete or mask the restore points, so that you can not use them to restore your computer. are any of the tools you are running identifying a virus, but not able to remove it? Or are they finding nothing? Some of the systems you described sound like they could be those frustrating tool bar add on's. These generally are not recognized as virus's so they need to be removed via the control panel - program update.