Greenup County/Russell Predictions

Greenup County vs. Russell  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Greenup County vs. Russell

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm crazy but the strength of the red devils offense will be on the ground. You gotta stop what your opponent does best. Make the quarterback prove to you they can throw the ball. Maynard won't have the same good fortune as he had at raceland in that they were already a spread team that threw the ball.

I don't think you are crazy, I just think you are having trouble seeing Russell doing something other then what they have done for the last 40 years.

1. Base

2. Stem

3. Stunt

4. Front changes

If you can stop a team in your base defense you will win. If you have to change your front to stop a team, you will have trouble.

In other words, if you can stop Russell's running game with your base defense, you are golden. If you have to change fronts to stop their running game, Russell will have 400 yards passing.

I don't think you are crazy, I just think you are having trouble seeing Russell doing something other then what they have done for the last 40 years.

1. Base

2. Stem

3. Stunt

4. Front changes

If you can stop a team in your base defense you will win. If you have to change your front to stop a team, you will have trouble.

In other words, if you can stop Russell's running game with your base defense, you are golden. If you have to change fronts to stop their running game, Russell will have 400 yards passing.

400 yards passing!?!? Are you assuming Greenup plays this game without a secondary? Greenup played a pass heavy team last week (Lewis qb was 10-23 passing at halftime) and they faired pretty well. To just act like Russell qb is a proven passer is ridiculous... Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? No. To have a system that allows balance and flexibility is one thing but to execute is a whole new ball game. All I'm saying is they would have to prove they can execute it before that was my main focus.

Edited by bugatti
Capitalization

400 yards passing!?!? Are you assuming Greenup plays this game without a secondary? Greenup played a pass heavy team last week (Lewis qb was 10-23 passing at halftime) and they faired pretty well. To just act like Russell qb is a proven passer is ridiculous... Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? No. To have a system that allows balance and flexibility is one thing but to execute is a whole new ball game. All I'm saying is they would have to prove they can execute it before that was my main focus.

I assume he wasn't serious about 400 yards, but he's right about the passing. If you come into a game with a different defense than what you have played previously or on previous films, then Maynard will see that you are out of your comfort zone. That's when he picks you apart. If you play a 4-3 base defense, Maynard will run Lead and Joker up your guy all night until you stop them from getting 4-6 yards a carry. If the runs go one for a prolonged period of time (a quarter or half) your defensive coordinator is going to bring a float backer off the edge or start stunting the defense to mess with the blocking assignments. When he sees you're doing that, that's when he will run a fast screen or a simple slant route, forcing the backers to play back. Then he will repeat the process. It's simple. If you come out in a 4-2 or 4-4, the first play will be an inside trap. That's how he does it. All his adjustments are made after the first drive of the game and during halftime.

I've played for Maynard for four years, I know the man inside and out. He will pick you apart.

Then again, if you start in a 4-3, stop the run, and at least shorten the pass game, you'll have a great shot at beating the spread.

I assume he wasn't serious about 400 yards, but he's right about the passing. If you come into a game with a different defense than what you have played previously or on previous films, then Maynard will see that you are out of your comfort zone. That's when he picks you apart. If you play a 4-3 base defense, Maynard will run Lead and Joker up your guy all night until you stop them from getting 4-6 yards a carry. If the runs go one for a prolonged period of time (a quarter or half) your defensive coordinator is going to bring a float backer off the edge or start stunting the defense to mess with the blocking assignments. When he sees you're doing that, that's when he will run a fast screen or a simple slant route, forcing the backers to play back. Then he will repeat the process. It's simple. If you come out in a 4-2 or 4-4, the first play will be an inside trap. That's how he does it. All his adjustments are made after the first drive of the game and during halftime.

I've played for Maynard for four years, I know the man inside and out. He will pick you apart.

Then again, if you start in a 4-3, stop the run, and at least shorten the pass game, you'll have a great shot at beating the spread.

So your saying greenup needs to stop the run??

So your saying greenup needs to stop the run??

To beat Russell, both. Because with your conclusion of stopping the run Maynard will take advantage of that. Say that you're right, you will try and stop the run. You'll stack the box and/or blitz to stop the run. The following drive, Maynard will pick you apart in a two play scoring drive consisting of a seam route and slant. They will pass until you respect the pass. When you respect the pass, he will run it up the gut.

But what do I know I'm not a Raceland fan...

I thought we were just having a football strategy conversation. I didn't know it was a Raceland/Greenup thing. I'll leave you lone about it. Good luck Friday.

I thought we were just having a football strategy conversation. I didn't know it was a Raceland/Greenup thing. I'll leave you lone about it. Good luck Friday.

I'm just trying to figure out why you guys feel making stopping the run a priority so erroneous. From what I gathered from all your post is you either completely shut them down and stop the run and pass or you get blown out. I've been in this area all my life and I haven't ever seen a passing game that is just pitch and catch like your making Russell out to be. The only time I've seen a passing game succeed is off play action or set up by the run.

I also played for Maynard for 4 yrs and have all the respect in the world for him but he'd be the first to tell ya just bc he seen something in the defense and made adjustment s doesn't mean we always executed.

I'm just trying to figure out why you guys feel making stopping the run a priority so erroneous. From what I gathered from all your post is you either completely shut them down and stop the run and pass or you get blown out. I've been in this area all my life and I haven't ever seen a passing game that is just pitch and catch like your making Russell out to be. The only time I've seen a passing game succeed is off play action or set up by the run.

I also played for Maynard for 4 yrs and have all the respect in the world for him but he'd be the first to tell ya just bc he seen something in the defense and made adjustment s doesn't mean we always executed.

I'm not saying you don't try to stop the run, you said Greenup needed to "stack the box" to stop the run. I take that to mean you want to move more players in the box. That is what I'm saying will lead to a Greenup loss. You have to stop the run with your DL/ILB, if you move the OLB or CB in to "stack the box" the passing game will flourish.

The spread is not a down field passing attack, it is basically a sweep offense pitching the ball a little further designed to get athletes in space. If you give the receivers space they will run wild. Quick screen is behind the line of scrimmage but counts for passing yards in the stat line. You don't have to be a great QB to complete screens and 10 and out's.

You don't have to have a miraculous QB to run the spread. You don't have to have miraculous WRs or RB either. If the line establishes their dominance within 3 yards, then you will have a supreme opportunity at winning the game. But that won't guarantee the win. The defense guarantees the win. As Ram said, if you bring an OLB or CB, any team will pass and succeed in doing it. If you stack the box, Greenup loses. In order to beat a balanced offense attack, you must have a balanced defensive attack, unless you have freakishly athletic players. Lol.

In order to beat a balanced offense attack, you must have a balanced defensive attack

That is a wonderful way of stating it, glad to see college is paying off so quickly. The above is all that has to be said, it explains it very accurately.