Cal calls show as "John from Kentucky"

D-Rob

I've been to several Calipari practices and I've heard and seen his X's and O's. That man can flat out coach and anyone who says otherwise is off base. You don't coach at the division level for 20-30 years unless you can coach. He won at UMASS and Memphis. I've been around a lot of coaches and Calipari is certainly one of the best.

Not to mention, it's pretty poor to have someone on your show then hammer him as soon as he walks out the door.

Lou Henson and Bill Frieder want to have a word with you.

It's also a sign of a good coach in the case of a guy like Donovan when he has a guy like Shyatt on his staff who excels in one of the areas he seemingly lacks in. Same goes for Cal and Robic. Robic seems like a really solid X's and O's, #2 type guy. Not really someone you see going into homes and wowing parents, kissing babies, and holding court at press conferences. He's more of a guy I picture as someone who makes his living grinding out late nights watching film, designing strategy, etc. Doesn't mean that I think Cal or Donovan are bad coaches, on the contrary, I think its a sign that they are self-aware enough to surround themselves with guys who can bring things to the table that they don't.

Hardin-Simms and New Mexico State in the conferences (or independence) that they were in then probably aren't setting the world on fire either though, and those account for half of his wins. He inherited an Illinois program whose coach had just left to replace John Wooden at UCLA, had a ton of talent that played in the NBA, but not really much to show for it other than one Final Four appearance. A 65% overall win percentage at a BCS school with the talent he had isn't really setting the world on fire (423-224). In conference play, that came out to a 56% win percentage (214-164). Talent can win games in spite of coaching for a great recruiter, and I can see why Jim Schue is saying he's a good example for the point that he's trying to illustrate.

I don't know Jim. Unless he coached for 70 years, 779 wins is pretty impressive.

The only time I ever watched a game and felt like Lou Henson was the best coach on the floor is when Illinois played Bill Frieder's Michigan teams.

Hardin-Simms and New Mexico State in the conferences (or independence) that they were in then probably aren't setting the world on fire either though, and those account for half of his wins. He inherited an Illinois program whose coach had just left to replace John Wooden at UCLA, had a ton of talent that played in the NBA, but not really much to show for it other than one Final Four appearance. A 65% overall win percentage at a BCS school with the talent he had isn't really setting the world on fire (423-224). In conference play, that came out to a 56% win percentage (214-164). Talent can win games in spite of coaching for a great recruiter, and I can see why Jim Schue is saying he's a good example for the point that he's trying to illustrate.

:thumb:

The thing is being a good or great X and O coach has more factors to it than simple drawing up a play. If you need a play to get an open look with the clock winding down give me Tubby Smith. If you want a guy to draw up a game plan to play a certain opponent for one night give me Tom Izzo. Or how about a guy to set forth a team in motion to compete in EVERY game they play all season give me Rick Pitino or Coach K. Want a guy that can turn a bunch of rookies into contenders in a short time CAL. This all is dependent of several factors. Each coach has to implement his system in order to be successful at this level. If the question is take five guys who you know nothing about and win with them then the answer is no one.

Never heard of Mike Francesa.

Unless you've never watched minute 1 of the NCAA tournament on CBS, yes you have. He used to be a regular in-studio during the broadcasts. Best known for the "Mike and the Mad Dog" radio show, which was wildly popular.