Coach Buchanan on Leaders/Servers

mcpapa

Good stuff as always.

Leaders: The ones who serve

"If anyone wants to be first, he shall be last of all, and servant of all." – Mark 9:35

“The team comes first.”

“For us to be great, you have to put everyone on this team ahead of yourself.”

Coaches say this to their players all the time, especially at the beginning of the season.

Two of the best old coaches I know who are also great people by serving others and doing most of that hard work outside of the spotlight are Tom Brown and Jimmie Reed.

Coach Tom Brown has coached football at Mayfield, Nelson County, Campbellsville College and Centre College. I met Coach Brown when he was the principal at Boyle County and their coach was Chuck Smith. Coach Brown’s father was Joe Brown, the former head coach at Owensboro. The most famous Brown football coach is Tom’s son Neal, who is now the offensive coordinator at UK.

Tom was “Joe’s son.” Now, he is “Neal’s dad.”

On a side note, my title has primarily been “John’s son,” especially during the first 40 years of my life. Over the last few years, I have become “John Combs’ dad,” “Emma’s dad,” “Trosper’s dad” and even “the husband of the Zumba instructor!”

Jimmie Reed is the executive director of the Kentucky High School Coaches Association and the Kentucky Football Coaches Association. Coach Reed was a great high school player at St. Joe Prep and then Washington County, where he earned a football scholarship to UK. After college, he became an assistant and then the head coach at Washington County.

My dad always enjoyed watching Jimmie coach because he smiled and had fun instead of acting like the game was life or death. He is a member of the KHSAA Hall of Fame.

Good stuff as always.

Leaders: The ones who serve

"If anyone wants to be first, he shall be last of all, and servant of all." – Mark 9:35

“The team comes first.”

“For us to be great, you have to put everyone on this team ahead of yourself.”

Coaches say this to their players all the time, especially at the beginning of the season.

Two of the best old coaches I know who are also great people by serving others and doing most of that hard work outside of the spotlight are Tom Brown and Jimmie Reed.

Coach Tom Brown has coached football at Mayfield, Nelson County, Campbellsville College and Centre College. I met Coach Brown when he was the principal at Boyle County and their coach was Chuck Smith. Coach Brown’s father was Joe Brown, the former head coach at Owensboro. The most famous Brown football coach is Tom’s son Neal, who is now the offensive coordinator at UK.

Tom was “Joe’s son.” Now, he is “Neal’s dad.”

On a side note, my title has primarily been “John’s son,” especially during the first 40 years of my life. Over the last few years, I have become “John Combs’ dad,” “Emma’s dad,” “Trosper’s dad” and even “the husband of the Zumba instructor!”

Jimmie Reed is the executive director of the Kentucky High School Coaches Association and the Kentucky Football Coaches Association. Coach Reed was a great high school player at St. Joe Prep and then Washington County, where he earned a football scholarship to UK. After college, he became an assistant and then the head coach at Washington County.

My dad always enjoyed watching Jimmie coach because he smiled and had fun instead of acting like the game was life or death. He is a member of the KHSAA Hall of Fame.

Jimmie Reed was always a class act IMO at Washington County. He had some great success in the late 70's and early 80's there. Of course it helped to have Jeff, Larry and Eric Smith come through at that time. But they had other great players and his teams were always fundamentally sound, tough, and prepared. :thumb:

Good stuff as always.

I really appreciate the kind words. I have had great material to work with.... these old coaches!

There will be four more columns, then they will be combined into a book and a boatload of pictures will be added. The last four will be a little different but also a good ending/tying it all together.

September.... the game that made me crazy.

October.... Friday Nights as a Royal

November... the ultimate Leader.

December---- keeping a lid on this one.

All have been written already and the book is 99% done as well.

Thanks to MCPapa and the BGPreps people for the support and kind words!