George Rogers Clark 2014

MNCM

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assistant coach Marty Joyce and I have been friends for a LONG time.

Tell us about the talent that HC has since you are friends with Marty. How is it superior to GRC's team talent in your opinion?

If it isn't the talent difference, are you rooting for Marty as HC's offensive line coach over the talent and coaching at GRC?

Good article about Ken Howard as AD at Campbell Junior High School.

Howard said the junior high teams will be in “vertical alignment” with the sports teams at George Rogers Clark High School.

“We wanted to get guys that are going to work with the high school,” he said. “We want to get kids started through fifth-grade and on, following the same philosophy and the same player development so when those kids get to the high school, the high school coaches won’t have to start over. To have that same kind of vertical alignment, it takes buying in from everybody. We have great relationships with the high school coaches. Now we have the opportunity to turn the corner in athletics from junior high on (to the high school level). We need every resource available for us to do that.”

Howard leading middle school merger - The Winchester Sun: Sports

Nice Article from Keith Taylor - Winchester Sun

Prep Football: Riddle taking championship approach - The Winchester Sun: GRC Sports

=====================================

George Rogers Clark High School football coach Mike Riddle wants his team to think like champions.

“We’re pushing to get to that championship mindset, that championship level,” he said. “That’s what we’re trying to establish right now is a championship way to do things. We’re in the process of getting that across and the kids are taking the coaching.” Riddle said he expects his players to embrace the new philosophy “whether it’s with a walk-through, practice and group period.”

“There is a standard — focus and effort – that you’ve got to have across the board (to be successful),” he said. “That’s the main thing we’re getting across right now. It’s a process, but overall, the kids have taken to (the philosophy).” Nearly two weeks into fall workouts, Riddle said the number of players “is fluctuating in the mid-60s.”

“We obviously want more than that, but at the same time, the guys that are here are guys that we want to be here,” he said. “We want to make sure we continue to work with what we have. I’m sure when school starts, there will be more guys who will want to come out. It’s all about getting more depth.”

Riddle has been pleased with the talent level he inherited from a program that has won just three games in the past two seasons. The Cards went 2-9 last season and finished 1-10 two years ago before under former coach Steven Collins.

“There are a lot of athletes here,” Riddle said. “It’s that clear that (the assistant coaches) had been working with them in the spring in the absence of a head coach. They do have a base in terms of their weight room stuff. We’ve got a lot of kids here that can run.” Riddle, an offensive lineman during his playing career at the University of Kentucky and formerly an offensive line coach at Georgia State University under former Wildcats coach Bill Curry, has also been pleased with the team’s size in the trenches.

“One of the things that has been a pleasant surprise has been the linemen, they’re able to run and are athletic,” he said. “That’s one thing that I’ve been pleased with.” Riddle hasn’t been in a rush to implement the team’s schemes, giving the players a chance to digest the changes at a slow pace.

“We’re starting them out slow,” he said. “We’re giving them the playbook in pieces,” he said. “For the most part, the guys have played and are veterans have taken to it and adapted to way we’re coaching things and the way that we’re doing things. There has been great response from the veterans in terms of excitement and wanting to get better and have success.”

Riddle noticed the team’s desire to improve and make a statement this season. “They want to win so bad, and I want to do every single thing I can to give that to them,” he said. “I’m seeing a hungry team. I’m seeing guys that have a fire and a desire to be great and to win.”

There are a lot of athletes here,” Riddle said. “It’s that clear that (the assistant coaches) had been working with them in the spring in the absence of a head coach. They do have a base in terms of their weight room stuff. We’ve got a lot of kids here that can run.

Riddle noticed the team’s desire to improve and make a statement this season.

They want to win so bad, and I want to do every single thing I can to give that to them,” he said. “I’m seeing a hungry team. I’m seeing guys that have a fire and a desire to be great and to win.

Prep Football: Riddle taking championship approach - The Winchester Sun: GRC Sports

A 4-6 to 7-3 regular season record is a very good possibility based upon Riddle's statement about what most of us already knew. A district championship is definitely a great possibility for 2014!

Scrimmage information is official.

GRC will travel to Madison Southern and stud RB Damien Harris on August 15th. Scrimmage start time is 7p.m.

Good. The nation can now stop holding its collective breath.

Good. The nation can now stop holding its collective breath.

This is old news.

The Madison Southern scrimmage was scheduled by Collins before his departure.

Riddle had not verified whether or not he was going to retain the scrimmage.

This is old news.

The Madison Southern scrimmage was scheduled by Collins before his departure.

Riddle had not verified whether or not he was going to retain the scrimmage.

And now you won't have to keep asking repeatedly! :lol2:

I have known all along. Why do you continue to pour salt on a wound that does not exist?

If you have known all along, then why so many post about dates/location ect previously? You asked for information and there it is.

If you have news please share, we are all interested to hear about it.

GRC 2014 Football Schedule

Aug 23, 14 Rowan County at Montgomery County

Aug 29, 14 Anderson County away

Sep 5, 14 Henry Clay home

Sep 12, 14 Montgomery County home

Sep 19, 14 Boyle County away

Sep 26, 14 Scott County away

Oct 10, 14 Lafayette home

Oct 17, 14 Tates Creek away

Oct 24, 14 Madison Central home

Oct 31, 14 Bourbon County home

Edited by Watusi