Should you have to pass a basic civics test to be able to vote?

mexitucky

No need to read any tea leaves here. Party platforms speak for themselves. This is what happens when moderates quit showing up to precinct meetings because they're tired of getting shouted out.

Typical, won't research past a headline on Huffpo.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revisionist history at its worst is to deny Republicans who voted for the Civil Rights bill the credit for supporting Johnson's legislation that they deserve.

I applaud all who voted for the legislation. Republican and Democrat alike.

Maybe that puts me in the minority.

Who on this thread has said such? You even point out that you can't take a cultural position of 50 or 60 years ago and place it in today's evaluation. But you have to take that same concept and recognize that the issue of Civil Rights transcended political label and was cultural. Hubert Humphry was a staunch Democrat but one of the biggest "pushers" of Civil Rights. Why was he so opposite Thurmond? Culture.

Agree with everything you have said.

The 2014 Texas Republican platform of about 260 policies calls for repealing the Voting Rights Act, "reparative therapy" for gays, open-carry of firearms and repeal of a minimum wage. The platform also backs a U.S. withdrawal from the United Nations, prohibits the sale of the morning after pill and demands the repeal of the Affordable Care Act.

I wonder how many blacks and Hispanics served on the Texas GOP platform committee. My guess would be zero.

The 2014 Texas Republican platform of about 260 policies calls for repealing the Voting Rights Act, "reparative therapy" for gays, open-carry of firearms and repeal of a minimum wage. The platform also backs a U.S. withdrawal from the United Nations, prohibits the sale of the morning after pill and demands the repeal of the Affordable Care Act.

I wonder how many blacks and Hispanics served on the Texas GOP platform committee. My guess would be zero.

Why guess? Do a little research and then admit that you guessed wrong. :lol2:

Probably ought to build a fence on Texas' north border as opposed to its southern border.
So, based on your brilliant quip, I assume that you discovered the the Texas GOP is home to many Hispanic citizens, including a few who served on the 2014 platform committee. Or maybe your talking points were incomplete and you just decided not to do your own research. Either way, you were wrong...again.

So, based on your brilliant quip, I assume that you discovered the the Texas GOP is home to many Hispanic citizens, including a few who served on the 2014 platform committee. Or maybe your talking points were incomplete and you just decided not to do your own research. Either way, you were wrong...again.

My quip was a joke, so there's no no issue of "right or wrong." I always know if I'm on target by the number of lame "talking points" responses I receive, and the resultant "likes" these junior high rebuttals generate. I find it humorous.

You and I both know there's no defense of the Texas GOP platform for 2014. Roll back the Voting Rights Act? Really?

The oversight by the Federal Government would be removed when states (effected by the act) want to make changes in their voting laws. No one would lose their right to vote The effected states then would be treated the same as the states not included in the act's legislation.

My quip was a joke, so there's no no issue of "right or wrong." I always know if I'm on target by the number of lame "talking points" responses I receive, and the resultant "likes" these junior high rebuttals generate. I find it humorous.

You and I both know there's no defense of the Texas GOP platform for 2014. Roll back the Voting Rights Act? Really?

What you were wrong about was your guess that there were no Hispanics or blacks on the 2014 GOP Platform Committee, but I am guessing that you already knew to what my reference was made. As for the "roll back" of the Voting Rights Act, I am not interested enough to read the details of the Texas GOP Platform myself but I am sure that the talking points from which you are working contain no shortage of hyperbole.

The oversight by the Federal Government would be removed when states (effected by the act) want to make changes in their voting laws. No one would lose their right to vote The effected states then would be treated the same as the states not included in the act's legislation.
As I suspected. I learned long ago not to trust either party's talking points. Some party operatives prefer them to the truth.

The part of the Texas GOP platform for '14 that has me scratching my head a bit is the party's endorsement of the Electoral College. Maybe the GOP is counting on California to be broken up into six states.

Is the Texas GOP trying to keep women from voting? Obviously so.

More crazy from Texas: Are lawmakers are trying to keep women from voting?: Glamour.com

The part of the Texas GOP platform for '14 that has me scratching my head a bit is the party's endorsement of the Electoral College. Maybe the GOP is counting on California to be broken up into six states.

Is the Texas GOP trying to keep women from voting? Obviously so.

More crazy from Texas: Are lawmakers are trying to keep women from voting?: Glamour.com

Crazy is the word. :lol2: