Ashland vs. Elliott Co. Predictions

A tale of 2 teams x 2 teams...

Elliott and Ashland have both been like Jekyll and Hyde this season. It all depends on which Elliott team and which Ashland team shows up to play.

If Elliott comes out puts the pedal to the metal and hits their shots, Ashland will have a tough time staying with them. If on the other hand, Ashland is able to control (slow) the tempo and/or keep Elliott from getting a lot of open looks, it will be a long night for the Lions.

A slow half court small ball game favors the Tomcats, diminishing the advantage Elliott should have on the larger college sized court at MSU. A wide open full court attack favors the Lions.

Like Pascal's Wager this formula has four possible outcomes... 3 out of 4 favor the Tomcats.

That is definately an impressive post. The only bad thing is that we're talking about a high school basketball game in the 16th region and anything (and usually everything) can happen. I will try a different approach:

Factor: Winner

This season: Elliott

History: Ashland

Coaching: Ashland

Talent: Elliott

Defense: Ashland

Offense: Elliott

3-pt. Shooting: Elliott

Experience: Ashland

That being said, who knows who will win. My basketball "gut" tells me that Ashland will have a great game plan in place and will keep this game in the 50's or maybe even 40's and squeak out a tough one. My heart tells me to go with the Lions since that is who I'll be cheering for anyways. I'll say:

Elliott: 59

Ashland: 55

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! I dont know what to say about this other than the fact that its WAY over my head! Fastbreak, I thought a man of your abilities and interests wouldnt have this much time on his hands!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here’s the bottom line.

I like Elliott’s chances in this game if they push the tempo, use the big floor, keep their spacing and movement, hit their shots and get the score up over 70. If Elliott hits 80, they win.

I disagree with Wireman on the chances of the Lions prevailing if the score stays in the 50’s. This would be Ashland’s ideal post season control style game.

A score in the 60’s still favors the Cats.

A score in the 70’s is a toss up.

A win by Elliott in the 50’s would be huge, but I’d have to go with Ashland in a low scoring game.

...we're talking about a high school basketball game in the 16th region and anything (and usually everything) can happen.
On this point, I agree entirely. Now somebody go prove me wrong. :thumb:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here’s the bottom line.

I like Elliott’s chances in this game if they push the tempo, use the big floor, keep their spacing and movement, hit their shots and get the score up over 70. If Elliott hits 80, they win.

I disagree with Wireman on the chances of the Lions prevailing if the score stays in the 50’s. This would be Ashland’s ideal post season control style game.

A score in the 60’s still favors the Cats.

A score in the 70’s is a toss up.

A win by Elliott in the 50’s would be huge, but I’d have to go with Ashland in a low scoring game.

On this point, I agree entirely. Now somebody go prove me wrong. :thumb:

I don't think that a game in the 50's would favor Elliott at all. I think Elliott needs it to be in the 60's or 70's in this game and they need it to be as helter-skelter as possible with lots of long rebounds, fast breaks, and loose balls. I have watched Ashland's coaches win tournament games for many years and I know they'll have a gameplan in place. I am predicting Elliott because they are my team, but I know that its going to be tough to beat Ashland in Morehead. I wouldn't be surprised if Ashland kept the score in the 30's.

I don't think that a game in the 50's would favor Elliott at all. I think Elliott needs it to be in the 60's or 70's in this game and they need it to be as helter-skelter as possible with lots of long rebounds, fast breaks, and loose balls. I have watched Ashland's coaches win tournament games for many years and I know they'll have a gameplan in place. I am predicting Elliott because they are my team, but I know that its going to be tough to beat Ashland in Morehead. I wouldn't be surprised if Ashland kept the score in the 30's.

You guys can say all you want about scoring but Ashland beat Elliott 77 to 68 earlier this year.

You guys can say all you want about scoring but Ashland beat Elliott 77 to 68 earlier this year.

Here is what I base my comments on:

Past Regional Tournament Scores:

In 2005:

Ashland 41

East Carter 37

In 2004:

Ashland 58

Raceland 38

Ashland 56

Lewis 49

In 2003:

Ashland 43

Russell 41

Rose Hill 52

Ashland 41

In 2002:

Ashland 55

Raceland 33

Ashland 56

Rose Hil 48

In 2001:

Ashland 54

Elliott 33

Ashland 42

Rowan 40

In 2000:

Ashland 51

East Carter 48

Ashland 44

Greenup 46

Here is what I base my comments on:

Past Regional Tournament Scores:

In 2005:

Ashland 41

East Carter 37

In 2004:

Ashland 58

Raceland 38

Ashland 56

Lewis 49

In 2003:

Ashland 43

Russell 41

Rose Hill 52

Ashland 41

In 2002:

Ashland 55

Raceland 33

Ashland 56

Rose Hil 48

In 2001:

Ashland 54

Elliott 33

Ashland 42

Rowan 40

In 2000:

Ashland 51

East Carter 48

Ashland 44

Greenup 46

Wow. Im impressed with the research. But typically regional games are more low scoring across the board because each possession is crucial. Teams tend to be more deliberate on the offensive end.

Wow. Im impressed with the research. But typically regional games are more low scoring across the board because each possession is crucial. Teams tend to be more deliberate on the offensive end.

I'm not trying to say bad stuff about Ashland - I'm making a point that they have a super coaching staff that is tough to beat in a one-game scenario - especially if they've had a weekend to prepare.

I'm not trying to say bad stuff about Ashland - I'm making a point that they have a super coaching staff that is tough to beat in a one-game scenario - especially if they've had a weekend to prepare.

I know, I never thought you were saying anything bad. :thumb:

Does that mean if Greenup Co. and Russell meet up in the Championship the score will be

Greenup Co. 14 Russell 6 :scared: :scared:

I don't think that a game in the 50's would favor Elliott at all. I think Elliott needs it to be in the 60's or 70's in this game and they need it to be as helter-skelter as possible with lots of long rebounds, fast breaks, and loose balls.
I was basing my comments on your previous post:

My basketball "gut" tells me that Ashland will have a great game plan in place and will keep this game in the 50's or maybe even 40's and squeak out a tough one. My heart tells me to go with the Lions since that is who I'll be cheering for anyways. I'll say:

Elliott: 59

Ashland: 55

Since you picked Elliott 59 - 55 I assumed you favored them in a game in the 50's. No big deal, I wasn't coming after you, just the fact that a low scoring game plays into Ashland's hands. :thumb:

I wish you guys the best.