Shark Fishing Fun at Hilton Head Island

Wireman

I bet that was some fun fishing. Time for a beer after that fight.

I'm still sore honestly. There is nothing like fighting a giant bull shark. I mean that was a next level battle.

Note the blue paint on its nose...where it rammed the bottom of the boat.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats Wireman on the nice catches. Spent last week in the Southern Outer Banks and was "in the middle" of a few beach encounters with sharks.

In the wake of 6 folks being bitten by sharks off the Carolina Coast in the last two weeks I have learned the following:

* Sea turtle population is abundant in the Carolinas and is bringing in larger, more aggressive sharks i.e bull, tiger.

* Warmer temps sooner in the spring/early summer have increased water temps faster resulting in more baitfish in the shallows/shorebreak.

* More people getting in between said turtles and baitfish and the sharks have resulted in the bites.

Thankfully there have been no fatalities. Each bite victim has had to be air lifted to major cities ( Norfolk, VA ) due to the remote nature of the Outer Banks.

Stay away from the fishing piers when it comes to swimming. Fisherman are throwing bait ( squid, shrimp, other fish ) into the water. Sharks have become conditioned to come to a fishing pier when the fish filet table water faucets are turned on. Piers have fish cleaning stations where folks clean and fillet their fish.

All the unwanted parts are flushed into the water below the fish station resulting in chum. This attracts birds, other bait fish, and yes sharks.

You have a 1 in 11.5 million chance of being bit by a shark. My family and I stayed away from the fishing piers. Avoided shallows with large amounts of bait fish. And had a great couple days swimming and boogey boarding around Atlantic Beach, NC and Cape Lookout, NC.

Have fun, be safe, respect and be mindful of sharks with knowledge and awareness...

:thumb:

Anyone else think all of the Shark Attacks on the East Coast are some how @Wireman 's fault. I mean it looks like he went down there and got them all riled up and they been trying to get payback ever since.

I think we ticked them all off. Man that was so much fun though. I can't wait to go back. I'm dying to join the 10' club.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Captain Chip is making news again...

Hilton Head man catches great white shark - Story | Savannah | WJCL News | Working for You | WJCL

I'm going next month to take my shot at a Great White. Might as well go for the mountain top right?

You've found the right captain for the job. Any idea what pound test that "cable" is?

Good luck and happy shark fishing to you!