BGP Get-Together - Some Informal Observations

mcpapa

As I told you last night, if had not been for you creating BGP, I would have never met my best friend, Dave. I wouldn't have such wonderful, close friends as swamprat and Mrs swamprat, RebelK and Mr ReblelK, True blue (and gold), rockmom and a host of others. A lot of good friendships have happened because you loved high school football enough to make BGP. What you made is a family, may not have been your intention, but you have played a big part in a lot of lives and because of BGP, my life became much better and I believe many others on here will say the same.

From the "I've told this story so many times but...." file:

I remember in about 2000 my dad telling me he was meeting up with some "friends" he met online. I specifically remember the "are you crazy " line I dropped.

Then I came across BGP and some cat I had no clue who he was and I started having some laughs online with him.

Like RTS and BF , I now talk with Mentsch at least once a day and consider him to be not just a friend but family. So, RTS, I fully get where you're coming from in your appreciation for the board. While I mention Mentsch in my example it's crazy to think how many more people I consider friends as a direct result of BGP.

P.S. Fortunately my wife no longer calls Mentsch my "BGP boyfriend." She loves him, too.

Crazy.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me add this and I told Mentsch and Watusi this last night.

Once you meet a fellow BGPer that you've only known online it's almost impossible to not like them more and look at them differently.

It's why I look forward to meeting UKfan. It will be my pleasure.

Once you meet a fellow BGPer that you've only known online it's almost impossible to not like them more and look at them differently.

I can't tell you how true that is.

And it's more than just the Wildcat fans who are sure they already hate me, but end up realizingI'm just a BIG teddy bear after all. :D

As I told you last night, if had not been for you creating BGP, I would have never met my best friend, Dave. I wouldn't have such wonderful, close friends as swamprat and Mrs swamprat, RebelK and Mr ReblelK, True blue (and gold), rockmom and a host of others. A lot of good friendships have happened because you loved high school football enough to make BGP. What you made is a family, may not have been your intention, but you have played a big part in a lot of lives and because of BGP, my life became much better and I believe many others on here will say the same.

Best.post.ever...and every word is true for me, too.

Now that I've finally made it home, a few more randoms:

35Bird-it was a distinct pleasure meeting you! I had no idea you a Badger, though. :D

Hoops5-another delightful pleasure to meet. We'll need to have a "Girls of BGP" outing. I already mentioned it to a few others.

Sportsguy, Gametime, Mentsch-it is way too long between meet ups! I hope we can remedy that. You all have been a part of my longest running BGP circle of friends.

Clyde & Oldbird-It was fantabulous to FINALLY meet you! And again, a real pleasure.

Swamprat & Mrs. Swamprat-ALWAYS a great time when I get to spend time with you...and Swampy....sometimes...there is no logic. :D

RebelK and Mr K-you give me giggles...I hope when you decide, you call me to be your tour guide when you visit West Baden. Oh...and RK...I'll never listen to Terry without thinking of you. GO CARDS!

TB&G-My fellow A Team member, we owe each other a day of Trader Joe's and Three Dog Bakery. Let's plan it!

Plantman, I wish I'd had more time to talk to you. You were all the way at the other end of the table, though! And although I am a person of considerable projection abilities, after attacking mcpapa with my rogue phone, I felt it was better to keep a low profile.

Nkypete, you're one hilarious dude, which I already knew from Molly's. I love your sense of absurdity. You didn't...ummm..go to the office at Rio's...right?

RTS-Your secret is safe with me....but find what I know about you now to be diametrically opposed to your militant persona. Your family is delightful, your son a mini-you. His girlfriend had the.most infectious, delightful laugh. And Mrs RTS...oh.what I wouldn't give to hang out with her and try to influence her! ***evil laugh***

Mcpapa-my fellow comrade in arms! You are one I have wanted to meet for SUCH a long time! I must say, you are even cooler than I imagined....and taller! Once again, I apologize for unwittingly damaging both your psyche and physique with my mobile office.

And Guru-Always a pleasure and it's also been too long since we've met up! It was nice to be able to look you in the eye when I didn't keep my opinions to myself. :D. And you really HAVE mellowed over the years!

I wish I'd seen KYTMCc and Mexitucky! And I know there were many others there I didn't get to meet. I hope there's another opportunity in the not-too-distant future!

Biggest surprise for me was mcpapa.

On BGP he complains about aging and aches and pains and such.

Yet he passes as a sprite young thirty-something dude!

58 and counting, but probably could pass for 57 on a good day.

Mcpapa-my fellow comrade in arms! You are one I have wanted to meet for SUCH a long time! I must say, you are even cooler than I imagined....and taller! Once again, I apologize for unwittingly damaging both your psyche and physique with my mobile office.

Again, not to worry. I have a whole right side that got through the evening virtually unscathed.

And height is a relative thing. In fact, my dad always used to say that everything is relative. Especially incest.

Now that I've finally made it home, a few more randoms:

35Bird-it was a distinct pleasure meeting you! I had no idea you a Badger, though. :D

I AM NOT A BADGER, but my wife and kids are. I am glad that I met you, Rockmom.

Let me add this and I told Mentsch and Watusi this last night.

It's why I look forward to meeting UKfan. It will be my pleasure.

Hit the nail on the head.

It was good to have other BGPers there last night at the wake, it made an otherwise tough situation much better. Strength in numbers.

I was so happy that I reunited with some members I hadn't seen in years, and then I also met some for the first time. I regret that there were a lot of you there that I didn't get to meet.

I don't think I ever realized how much of an impact on my life the other members of BGP have made. I most definitely have been enriched, enlightened and entertained through my participation in this website. Thank You all for playing a part in my personal growth, I have learned a lot from you guys and gals.