BGP Get-Together - Some Informal Observations

mcpapa

And I still don't know why someone going by nkypete was wearing Harrison County High School duds. Maybe I didn't get a close enough look.

You need a new pair of reading glasses or the realization that more than one jacket in Kentucky can have the initials HCHS on it!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I had competing wakes last night and could not make it to Northern Kentucky. Great posts by Mcpapa though! Also, I know why we MEN AND WOMEN OF BGP have such attractive mates and others....it is because posting on BGP is hot!!

Sorry I missed the gathering at Rio Grande. I was with Oldbird at Fort Thomas Pizza along with 30 or so of mine and Dave's classmates. Really impressed by the number of people that showed up to pay their respects to Dave. Prior to Oldbird departing he said this to me and it has stuck with me since he said it.

There were two gatherings last night that Dave would have loved to be a part of.

Really sad when you think about it, but I am sure he is looking down upon us now and is probably a little surprised at the number of people that he has had an impact on in some way or another.

My random thoughts:

First and foremsost, what a testament to Dave the wake was last night. His parents were overwhelemed by not only the number of people that came by, but more by the stories everyone shared with them of how Dave touched their lives. They said over and over that the had no idea. Well, we all did. The evening was, quite simply, the kind of night Dave would have wished for this occasion. His friends came from far and wide to see him, and a toast in his honor was made at dinner. RTS would have had Dave under the table in embarrassment. :lol:

Secondly, it was so wonderful to meet new faces, to put some faces with screen names, to make new friends. One thing that I found in my time as Dave's friend, everytime I was near him, I found myself with new friends. And it was so, so great to see "old" friends again. It made the day easier and more a tribute to Dave than a time of mourning.

And thirdly, Papa, I hope your foot doesn't need a boot after I dropped my phone on it. As Dave knew, and now you know, grace and coordination are not virtues I possess. Unfortunately, people near me often bear the brunt of my mishaps. :D And please don't refer to my mobile office as my "purse". :lol:

I had lots of warm, happy thoughts to accompany me on my drive back to French Lick this morning. Thank you BGP and Dave for the friendships, and thank you to each of you for being such fantastically unique personalities. I am smiling just thinking of how lucky I am!

My random thoughts:

First and foremsost, what a testament to Dave the wake was last night. His parents were overwhelemed by not only the number of people that came by, but more by the stories everyone shared with them of how Dave touched their lives. They said over and over that the had no idea. Well, we all did. The evening was, quite simply, the kind of night Dave would have wished for this occasion. His friends came from far and wide to see him, and a toast in his honor was made at dinner. RTS would have had Dave under the table in embarrassment. :lol:

Secondly, it was so wonderful to meet new faces, to put some faces with screen names, to make new friends. One thing that I found in my time as Dave's friend, everytime I was near him, I found myself with new friends. And it was so, so great to see "old" friends again. It made the day easier and more a tribute to Dave than a time of mourning.

And thirdly, Papa, I hope your foot doesn't need a boot after I dropped my phone on it. As Dave knew, and now you know, grace and coordination are not virtues I possess. Unfortunately, people near me often bear the brunt of my mishaps. :DAnd please don't refer to my mobile office as my "purse". :lol:

I had lots of warm, happy thoughts to accompany me on my drive back to French Lick this morning. Thank you BGP and Dave for the friendships, and thank you to each of you for being such fantastically unique personalities. I am smiling just thinking of how lucky I am!

Sorry, I meant to say "oversized suitcase", but I was typing in a hurry.

And as it turns out, I do not require medical attention. Although I do have one of those special walking shoes, just in case things deteriorate.

I'm sorry that I missed out on meeting up w/ everyone at Rio Grande. It was nice to have put a fact to a name with a couple guys. Oldbird is certainly as old as I thought that he was. Mentch is lot younger than I thought as well. I know that I didn't wear as nice of a suit as Clyde, but I'm hoping that I got some style approval from him. Great to see GT again. Weird, last time we were together we were passing a fifth of bourbon back and forth. Last night, we were swapping stories about 3 year-olds back and forth. Getting old is definitely different.

Great stuff papa!

To add to papa's descriptions. papa was sporting the best haircut of his retired life, he looked really dapper. And I had no idea papa could eat so much, so fast, wow dude! No wonder you were honked off when Rockmom dropped part of her office purse on you.

If I had known that hoops5 was such a looker, I wouldn't have stood her up at the Bengals-Packers game. I could have ditched my daughter.

What? All this time I thought for sure that I knew who hoops5 was... and I thought he was a dude? So confused.

Sounds like you folks had a blast. Its really cool to read all the heart felt affection everyone had for Birdsfan. I did not know him, but this is all very moving none-the-less.

For those of you that have not had the pleasure of meeting MentschTrachtGottLacht you have no idea. If you ever get the opportunity, do it. MTGL is one of the most amazing, engaging, perceptive, and loving people you will ever meet.

For those of you that have not had the pleasure of meeting MentschTrachtGottLacht you have no idea. If you ever get the opportunity, do it. MTGL is one of the most amazing, engaging, perceptive, and loving people you will ever meet.

^ Prime example of man love right there.