Former Mason Co Coach Jim Mitchell passes away

So sad! I spent quite a bit of time with Jim back in the day when we worked together. Haven't seen him in a while, weird how we lose touch when you move on. He was a scout for the Clippers when I knew him well. He had a brutal travel schedule. I truly enjoyed my conversations with him. He had a wealth of basketball knowledge.

Here is a Coach Mitchell story. Back in the 60's, Mason Co. coach went to the elementary schools one day a week to teach PE. After PE, I walked across the floor and Coach Mitchell was changing his shoes on the first row. He said son what did you just do? I had no clue. He said, Did you just walk across the floor with street shoes on? I said Yes Sir. He made me bend over and I got three licks with a Converse Chuck Taylor. I never walked across the floor again. RIP Coach Mitchell.

My memories of Jim Mitchell will be as much him riding on his lawn mower cutting the grass at Scott High School as it will his coaching on the sidelines. Funny what you remember about people.

Also one night we (Brossart) were playing at Scott and the Eagles hit a shot at the buzzer to force overtime. Doug Pelfrey, who played for Mitchell at the time, thought that it was a game winner, and came right over to the Brossart bench to shake our hands and tell us nice game. Mitchell came storming over like Papa Bear and grabbed him by the back of the jersey and scruff of the neck towing him back to the Scott bench.

I also remember Jim as being the coach of Indian Hill in Cincinnati at one time.

RIP