Dexter Finale Thoughts - May Contain Spoilers

Just finished Dexter this weekend.

Had saw a lot of people were down on the finale.

What did/didn't you like about it?

It wasn't as disappointing as I expected it to be, but maybe that was just because my expectations weren't very high going in.

I thought Vogel got killed a little too early (well, MAYBE one episode too early).

Thought Debra dying was well done. It was a way to keep her from returning to being completely "good" considering she shot La Guerta, didn't clear Doakes' name, etc.

It made sense with Hannah taking care of Harrison and getting a fresh start, Dexter with no one else around him being capable of being hurt by his actions, and leaving no one to be prosecuted for the killing of Saxson/Vogel.

A lot of opinions about the finale were put in the Dexter thread we had but I'll share again.

I thought it was quite bad. But it went along with how season 8 went.

Deb just all of a sudden going from fine to dead was stupid.

Dexter being able to just walk a dead body out of the hospital and onto his boat was dumb.

Him going into the storm and then just reappearing as a trucker was stupid.

The final season showing Dexter as a trucker was beyond stupid.

Season 8 was built up to be this great season and it failed. There was no building up to any final event like other shows do. Each episode just kind of ended. No new character served really any purpose to the story. They added nothing.

It was a major letdown for such a good show but the last couple of seasons were lacking anyway. Sad to see it end this way.

A lot of opinions about the finale were put in the Dexter thread we had but I'll share again.

I thought it was quite bad. But it went along with how season 8 went.

Deb just all of a sudden going from fine to dead was stupid.

Dexter being able to just walk a dead body out of the hospital and onto his boat was dumb.

Him going into the storm and then just reappearing as a trucker was stupid.

The final season showing Dexter as a trucker was beyond stupid.

Season 8 was built up to be this great season and it failed. There was no building up to any final event like other shows do. Each episode just kind of ended. No new character served really any purpose to the story. They added nothing.

It was a major letdown for such a good show but the last couple of seasons were lacking anyway. Sad to see it end this way.

Agree on him walking out of the hospital with the body.

Also, the storm scenes looked so fake, it really took away from things.

I thought the scene with him continuing on as a logger/trucker was just something to show that he knew no matter what, he couldn't turn away from his "calling", but didn't want to endanger any of his loved ones anymore (he'd lost his Mom, Harry, Rita, and Deb).

Agree on him walking out of the hospital with the body. Also' date=' the storm scenes looked so fake, it really took away from things. I thought the scene with him continuing on as a logger/trucker was just something to show that he knew no matter what, he couldn't turn away from his "calling", but didn't want to endanger any of his loved ones anymore (he'd lost his Mom, Harry, Rita, and Deb).[/quote']i just thought it made no sense to the story. My thoughts on a fitting ending would have been to show the trucker scene but let it have been someone else and that guy goes into his apartment, flips on the light to see everything wrapped in plastic and then you see Dexter poke him with the needle.

That, to me, would have been a much more satisfying ending.

It was awful. But to be fair it started being awful last season and continued into this season and the finale.

The entire story line was stupid. Vogul, her son, Deb...Hannah, all stories this season were terrible.

Yea... agree that it was somewhat lackluster and thrown together in that sense. I really think the creators kind of ran out of ideas as the seasons progressed.

Yea... agree that it was somewhat lackluster and thrown together in that sense. I really think the creators kind of ran out of ideas as the seasons progressed.

I think they ran out of ideas after the Trinity killer. They just started making a different bad guy...and have a new person discover Dexter. Finish season..repeat.

• 2 years later...
Just discovered Dexter around Christmas and just finished last week. I really enjoyed the series but the last season or so I found my self saying hurry up already, let's get through this.

Overall Good Series

It got really bad after the Trinity Killer imo.

Dexter just wasn't Dexter at all anymore.

It got really bad after the Trinity Killer imo.

Dexter just wasn't Dexter at all anymore.

I agree, he was careless and much less focused. The show as a whole just stumbled along after that, but I still enjoyed it enough to finish it out.

Watching the scene where Dexter was trying to sell his boat and he gives the year and model. I looked it up and even today with the boat being over 20 years old it's still worth around $25-30,000 and new they are a couple of hundred thousand. How in the world did Dexter afford that boat?

I agree, he was careless and much less focused. The show as a whole just stumbled along after that, but I still enjoyed it enough to finish it out.

Watching the scene where Dexter was trying to sell his boat and he gives the year and model. I looked it up and even today with the boat being over 20 years old it's still worth around $25-30,000 and new they are a couple of hundred thousand. How in the world did Dexter afford that boat?

Miami pd pays good I guess...