Bishop Brossart 3 Kentucky Country Day 0 All A Finals

cjjennings

Goals by Jake Jennings at the 28:35 mark of the first period and Jon Henn at the 2:45 mark gave the Mustangs a 2-0 lead.

Mitch Parnell's goal, giving the Stangs a seemingly insurmountable lead at 3-0, started the party and the defense never let up.

Named to the All-Tournament team for the Mustangs were: Dylan Geiman, Mark Goller, Jon Henn and Mitch Parnell.

Eli Nienaber was named the tournament's MVP.

Congratulations to Coach Brian Goller and his team on a well-deserved "A" State Championship.

Edited by Mustang

Courtesy of Marc Hardin at the Enquirer.....http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs....nclick_check=1

Brossart boys, NewCath girls win All 'A' Classic

Small-school soccer bragging rights will reside in Northern Kentucky for the next year. Bishop Brossart's boys and Newport Central Catholic's girls swept their way to championships Sunday afternoon at the Touchstone Energy All "A" Classic Statewide Tournament at Elizabethtown Sports Park.

The young and old alike helped produce the local sweep.

Senior-laden Bishop Brossart defeated Kentucky Country Day, 3-0, with an MVP performance from veteran Eli Nienaber. NewCath beat Owensboro Catholic, 2-0, with an MVP performance from Taylor Tolle, one of nine freshmen for the Thoroughbreds.

"I knew it was possible and it feels amazing," said Tolle, who scored six goals in three tournament matches.

Her second-half goal Sunday on a through-ball from Loren Zimmerman that left her one-on-one with the goalkeeper gave NewCath a two-goal cushion against the Lady Aces. Zimmerman scored on a deflected ball inside the first 10 minutes of the match, giving her a goal in all three contests. Zimmerman and teammates Ansley Davenport and Ruthie Barth, a pair of defensive marking backs, were named all-tournament.

Jake Jennings, Jon Henn and Mitch Parnell accounted for the scoring in the boys' final for Brossart, which numbers 10 seniors. Henn's blast from 25 yards on an intercepted ball made it 2-0 at halftime. He assisted on Jennings' score midway through the half. Named all-tournament for Brossart were Henn, Parnell, Dylan Geiman and Mark Goller, son of the coach.

"I like it," the younger Goller said of sharing the winning experience with his father. "We talk about soccer a lot, and I know we'll have fun talking about this game."

It's the second small-school title for Brossart, winner of the 2005 All "A" Cup. It's a record fourth for NewCath, a three-time All "A" Cup winner in 2005-07.

Brossart coach Brian Goller and NewCath coach Kevin Turnick were on the sidelines eight years ago when the Mustangs (14-1) and Throughbreds (11-1-2) won their first championships. Goller has been the coach for 20 years. Turnick is in his 15th season at NewCath. Both have won more than 200 games.

"It's deja vu, because I remember coming down here and winning," Goller said. "They (the Thoroughbreds) put the pressure on us today by winning the early final, but we were in a dog pile at midfield after the game."

Both local powers dominated the competition and remained hot. Brossart's goalkeeper combination of Andrew Erickson and Jeff Paulin allowed just one goal while the Mustangs outscored opponents, 12-1. NewCath had a 17-2 scoring advantage. Sunday's shutout for Meg Martin was her second of the tournament for NewCath.

The Mustangs extended their winning streak to nine games. The Thoroughbreds have played 12 consecutive matches without a loss.

"These are special girls and we're going to enjoy this, because I scheduled Highlands, our big rival, and Notre Dame next, and that's all my fault with the schedule," Turnick said. "It's been a great weekend, but we still have other goals."