Can the Sanitation District Destroy Your Property at Will?

Birdsfan

Does the Sanitation Dept. (SD1) have the right to totally destroy your backyard, tear down all the trees and bushes that separate your property from the next and damage your concrete? Because that's what they just did to us. :rage:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the Sanitation Dept. (SD1) have the right to totally destroy your backyard, tear down all the trees and bushes that separate your property from the next and damage your concrete? Because that's what they just did to us. :rage:

They should fix everything they can back and repair any damaged concrete. Obviously, the trees can't be replaced as they were, but they should landscape the area back for you as best they can.

They should fix everything they can back and repair any damaged concrete. Obviously, the trees can't be replaced as they were, but they should landscape the area back for you as best they can.
I sure hope you're right! I just saw the lady from the next street over (whose property joins ours) and it looked like she was giving them quite an earful! :irked:

I'm going to say no. I'd be calling someone in charge...

You'll need to keep following up on it as well. Had a similar issue with Duke Energy. They had pulled a large bucket truck up in my back lot to get to a couple of utility poles after a big rain. When they got the first bucket truck stuck, they had the stupidity to pull another one in to pull the first out. Both got stuck. Tore the hell out of my yard and then just left. Many emails and calls later....6 months later, they finally sent someone out to repair the huge ruts and re-seed the lawn. Don't know what kind of seed they used but it was full of weeds.

For a few years I was considering my back yard the sanitation workers play area. Every year there was something broken. I claim they just suck and don't know how to fix anything. Birdsfan, usually it takes then multiple attempts, you probably will be seeing then for years.

Birdsfan' date=' usually it takes then multiple attempts, you probably will be seeing then for years.[/quote']

Thing is, nobody in the neighborhood called them. They just decided it was a good time to replace an 8" pipe that runs between our street and the next via the backyards.

I think my answer to your question, within reason, is "yes", they have that right.

Unfortunately, property owners often times have to deal with the demolition and messes made in order to facilitate utility improvements. I can think of a couple of streets in Kenton County (Ft. Mitchell Avenue and Arcadia Avenue) that lost their beautiful mature trees lining the edge of the street in order to upgrade their domestic water mains, sewer mains, and to add in sidewalks.

The contractors/city/utility providers will replace your pavement and re-grade and seed the landscaping, and although I'm not sure whether or not they are required to, I believe in most cases they will try to take reasonable measures to re-plant new trees and shrubs to replace those which they have removed.

...although I'm not sure whether or not they are required to, I believe in most cases they will try to take reasonable measures to re-plant new trees and shrubs to replace those which they have removed.
That really is our only concern. With all the bushes gone, our deck now looks right down on their bedroom window. Talk about awkward!

Okay. Sometimes they have subcontracted crews that do the work for them. I was going to see if I could offer you a name of someone to call. No such luck if they're SD1 workers.
Well, they had a tree service cut down at least one of the big trees. I think it's going to boil down to whether or not the shrubbery was over the easement. But in any case, they should be responsible for making things somewhat respectable.