Noted sports surgeon warns against overuse and specialization.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a victim of said epidemic it does hit home. I never felt like I was overworking or conditioning too much but at the same time I never took a day off. There were weekends where we would literally play 8 hours a day 3 days a week. 4 knee surgeries later and I basically quit playing sports. I've tried like hell to stay in shape as though I could pick up and play a game of two hand touch or run full court but nothing really compares to it.

Because of how the movements are being done. Throwing a baseball is different than throwing a football, which is different than spiking a volleyball, which is different than shooting in LAX. Doing something the same way for prolonged amounts of time will cause break down.

During the deceleration phase of throwing, pitching specifically, extremely high forces are generated by the musculature of the rotator cuff. Putting something under such great amounts of stress for long amounts of time will lead to higher incidences of trauma. The way in which force and stress is applied to the shoulder needs to be changed, or given a rest, to cut down on the likelihood of injury.

In regards to jumping and cutting, yes that is basically seen in every sport in one form or another. Injuries most often associated with jumps and cuts are more often related to poor mechanics on the landings and muscular imbalances between the quadriceps and hamstrings. Injuries like that can be reduced with proper coaching and strength training.

I can understand the point on pitchers. Other then that I still disagree. Proper rest and recovery is a necessity with all activity. The amount varies with the movement but none requires not doing the movement for months. I'd be willing to bet injuries occur at close to the same rate with multi sport athletes as they do with single sport.

I also find it curious that over head movements take on the biggest blame but how many QB's do we see get injuries from throwing.

I can understand the point on pitchers. Other then that I still disagree. Proper rest and recovery is a necessity with all activity. The amount varies with the movement but none requires not doing the movement for months. I'd be willing to bet injuries occur at close to the same rate with multi sport athletes as they do with single sport.

I also find it curious that over head movements take on the biggest blame but how many QB's do we see get injuries from throwing.

Throwing a baseball is an entirely different movement than a football

No they do not. If you read the article, baseball was mentioned. What other sport can you compare to baseball. He talked about throwing the curveball...again. Playing too many "organized" or "game speed" sports will likely lead to an overuse injury. I don't know if you are/were a super athlete but the body breaks down, when it does too much of the same thing. Most HS coaches coach their kids safely and knowledgeable.

Other then pitching baseball is a horrible example. The least amount of activity of just about any sport. Plus if you re-read my post I said core movements...running, jumping, cutting, ect... Throwing a curve ball isn't a core movement even in baseball.

Throwing a baseball is an entirely different movement than a football

Has little to do with motion but has to do with velocity, intensity, reps... A kid throws a baseball hard. As they get tired, they lose proper form which could lead to injury. When a kid gets tired of throwing the football, they hand it off. Some schools never do the former.