March 25, 201313 yr Author I don't put much into 20-win seasons anymore. Too easy to build up non-conference wins and then do so-so to get to 20. I say that as a fan of Tubby. I also do not fault a school for saying "not good enough."
March 25, 201313 yr Shaka is the target. Not sure why everyone is surprised. The Minnesota faithful wanted him gone last year. He's not had a winning record in the B1G and his best finish is tied for 6th once. Three NCAA appearances over six seasons, one win... and that was against a team that had lost a starter and fired its own coach immediately after. I'm not crazy about the decision, but people in Minnesota were fed up with him. Getting crushed on the road by Iowa and Purdue didn't help this season. Neither did getting flushed out of the B1G tournament in the first game.
March 25, 201313 yr I don't put much into 20-win seasons anymore. Too easy to build up non-conference wins and then do so-so to get to 20. I say that as a fan of Tubby. I also do not fault a school for saying "not good enough." But they suck. Is Minnesota Gophers basketball even one of the top 10 sports priorities in Minnesota? They've never been good enough.
March 25, 201313 yr Author But they suck. Is Minnesota Gophers basketball even one of the top 10 sports priorities in Minnesota? They've never been good enough. Only big university in the state. No reason they can't get good.
March 25, 201313 yr Only big university in the state. No reason they can't get good. If the Badgers can do it, so can Minnesota.
March 25, 201313 yr The Tubby Smith Plan: Honeymoon Phase (Years 1 &2): Everyone is excited about the possibilities live off the previous coach's recruiting efforts. Results Phase (Years 2-5): Continue to use previous staff's recruits and get solid results. Semi Retirement Phase (Years 6 - The end): Coast to the end. Cash out Phase: Act suprised and take the millions via buyout. Where was that plan ever implemented? UK - The recruit cupboard was as bare as it had been in 8 years when Tubby took over. That team UK won a title with is one of the least talented champions in the last 25 years. Minnesota - Are you saying there was a boat load of talent waiting for him there? The previous year Minnesota went 9-22 and 3-13 in the Big 10. Two years before they were 16-15 and 5-11. Yep, that looks like a talented crew waiting for Tubby. Tubby won 20 games four of his 5 seasons as coach. In the 9 seasons prior to Tubby, Minnesota had one 20 win season. Tubby won 20 games his first three seasons. No other coach in Minnesota history has won 20 games 3 seasons in a row. Recruiting? - He brought in several highly ranked recruiting classes while at Minnesota.
March 25, 201313 yr I don't put much into 20-win seasons anymore. Too easy to build up non-conference wins and then do so-so to get to 20. I say that as a fan of Tubby. I also do not fault a school for saying "not good enough." Three NCAA appearances over six seasons, one win... and that was against a team that had lost a starter and fired its own coach immediately after. I'm not crazy about the decision, but people in Minnesota were fed up with him. Getting crushed on the road by Iowa and Purdue didn't help this season. Neither did getting flushed out of the B1G tournament in the first game. These.
March 25, 201313 yr If the Badgers can do it, so can Minnesota. Except that Wisconsin plays in a great building where they can generate tons of money, and have a convenient practice facility for their MBB and WBB hoop teams. Minnesota has a building with a "lot of charm" and NO practice facility. The difference in the two programs, investment and facility-wise, is night and day. Wisconsin has been pretty good at football for a while too, how has that worked for Minnesota? Wisconsin generates more than double the money per year that Minnesota does....and if you removed Hockey from the equation, it would be more than 4x. They aren't that similar.
March 25, 201313 yr 61 years old looking for his first recruited final 4. Retire with all the millions you have trying.
March 25, 201313 yr Mark Story: Tubby Smith is too decent, too 'normal' for what major-college ...: Lexington Herald-Leader : Mark Story: Tubby Smith is too decent, too 'normal' for what major-college hoops coaching is now
March 25, 201313 yr 61 years old looking for his first recruited final 4. Retire with all the millions you have trying. True. Dwayne Wade stopped him a game short one year and then the 2OT loss to Michigan St. stopped him another year. I'm not including the 1999 season when Michigan St. beat them one game short because those weren't 100% Tubby's players. He also has 5 Sweet Sixteen appearances with 3 different schools. How many coaches can equal that track record? I would guess that resume puts him in the top 10 of active coaches. Why a coach who won a title at UK and had the track record above is still not liked or respected by so many in Kentucky is beyond me.
March 26, 201313 yr I hope he finds a job where he will be successful AND appreciated. I find both his and Howland's firings a confirmation that big time college sports are not much different than professional sports except the players don't get paid....as much.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.