My favorite moment from a musical

All Tell

A close second for me...Mary Poppins flying over the audience all the way up to the balcony. The techie is me was trying to look for the wires, but they hid them very well.

That I would love to see. They didn't do that when it was on tour in Louisville. On Broadway in Wicked the Monkeys fly over the audience. When I saw it my seats were on the front row of the balcony and one of them swooped in right in front of me. Scared me to death.

My favorite is "The Music of the Night" finale from "The Phantom of the Opera". Saw it on Broadway. Worth every penny.

It doesn't get much better than "Music of the Night."

Hearing Ol' Man River in Showboat is awesome as well. I got goosebumps when I heard it and I was relatively young at the time.

Les Mis has by far, the BEST solos, in my opinion. They make your heart race! : )

^ The best. Especially the last 2 minutes, and viewed in context of "what has gone before".

There are others that rival that one, but it's my personal favorite. It's always hard for me to choose between solo/duets and big chorus numbers. The finale and "One Day More" from Les Mis are great, but so are the poignant solos like "Bring Him Home", "I Dreamed a Dream", and "Empty Chairs".

Wicked is one where the solos/duets outshine the choral numbers IMHO.

AH, yes, and Music of the night. Another heart pounding experience hearing that on Broadway!

It doesn't get much better than "Music of the Night."

Hearing Ol' Man River in Showboat is awesome as well. I got goosebumps when I heard it and I was relatively young at the time.

• 9 months later...

Caught a documentary on HBO last night called "Six by Sondheim" and dug up this thread to post about it.

The documentary used six different tunes with either the words or music by Stephen Sondheim to tell a story about his life and work. The middle included one I wasn't familiar with, a track called "Being Alone" from "Company". Absolutely blew me away. The documentary used this exact clip of the Original Broadway Cast recording sessions in 1970. Dean Jones CRUSHES it.

I ended up staying away WAY too lake considering I knew darn well I had to come into my office this morning because I found out You Tube has the entirety of the 2011 revival starring Neil Patrick Harris and featuring Stephen Colbert, Jon Cryer, Patti Lupone and Christina Hendricks.