All Tournament Teams

How many districts have All Tournament Teams? What are your thoughts on having All Tournament Teams, especially at the District level of play? When I was coaching, I hated them, especially when the tournament manager asked me to pick the players from my team who deserved the honor. Thankfully in the 38th District, the coaches don't have to do that, as a couple of media members have that task. To me, All Tournament Teams only open the door to internal jealousies for those teams moving on to Regional play. I don't have as much of a problem with Regional or Sweet 16 All Tourney Teams. Despise regular season all tourney teams as well.

While I like the idea of recognizing players for their achievements, they often do open cans of worms, as each parent views his/her son in a different light.

It's a damned if you do, and damned if you don't situation for the coach, who often has to make snap decisions, and often resort to using the scorebook as the final means of determining the honorees. I don't mind the idea of all-tournament teams, but perhaps removing the onus of responsibility from the head coach is the way to go.