Sugar Bowl win + Final Four or National Championship

Original Rookie

Final Four/Sugar Bowl or National Title  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Final Four/Sugar Bowl or National Title

• Final Four/Sugar Bowl win
    • Win a national title

But you remember less bowl game victories and Final 4 participants I bet.

You being a Card fan I bet remembers each Championship season at least the ones in your life time, do you remember each Bowl game...Every Final 4? Final 4's may be a little easier but not as easy as remembering your Championships. I'm not a Card fan and I remember their titles seasons but only remember two Final 4, last years and the year Houston Dunked them to death before losing to NC St.

I don't remember who won the NCAa basketball championship 2 years ago either

Yeah, I'd rather have a 4th place finish and a bowl game win than a National Title. :rolleyes: I honestly don't even think it's close. If it were the other way around, the U of L fans voting for the 2 runner up trophies would be singing a different tune, that's for sure.

It is a tough question because it is relative to expectations and the nature of the two sports. Really I'm not sure what a Final Four appareance means if you do not deliver the goods, especially since UL has been there multiple times; a bowl game gives you the opportunity to finish on a high note but in UL's case they may not crack the top 10. I will say the title because the other two you are ultimately left wondering what a Final Four appearance and Sugar Bowl victory actually mean, but a title there is no wondering, you are the best.

I'd take both.

For the record, I have equal amounts of UK/UL/WKU stuff. I'm more of a fan of the state when it comes to the big picture, and over the last few years, I've become just as objective when watching them play each other (however, WKU takes the top spot). The UK/UL game this year, I don't think I cheered or got irritated one time, for either.

Strange, I know. I'll give credit when it's due, but also point out the ugly, hidden truths that are there that fail to be seen (or realized, whichever).

The reason I'd take both is simply because, a Final Four and/or National Championship in basketball bodes well for just basketball in the state. However, a Sugar Bowl win over Florida (a Kentucky team @ that) bodes well for football growth in this state. So, in my opinion, basketball and football (most importantly to me), both, won in our state.

What bothers me, is when fan bases can't simply give credit when it's earned, to other fan bases. I realize that more times than not these are isolated instances, but nonetheless.

Yesterday for example, I was having a conversation with a very good friend of mine, and we were talking about the Sugar Bowl (a diehard UK fan, mind you). He said, and I quote, "The way I saw it, that was a bunch of Florida boys dressed up in Louisville jerseys that beat a bunch of Florida boys in Florida jerseys." To which I responded, "If that's the case, put USA across the chest of UK's basketball team, bc they dang sure aren't from Kentucky. You can't cheer for UK and ignore that, yet use that as validity or lack of, to nullify Louisville's Football success."

Must not follow them as closely as I thought you did by your statement that you follow sports.

But you actually think a bowl game (not for the championship) is as great an accomplishment as actually winning a title?

I do follow sports. I don't obsess sports.though. And frankly, basketball is at the bottom of my list.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

What bothers me, is when fan bases can't simply give credit when it's earned, to other fan bases. I realize that more times than not these are isolated instances, but nonetheless.

Yesterday for example, I was having a conversation with a very good friend of mine, and we were talking about the Sugar Bowl (a diehard UK fan, mind you). He said, and I quote, "The way I saw it, that was a bunch of Florida boys dressed up in Louisville jerseys that beat a bunch of Florida boys in Florida jerseys." To which I responded, "If that's the case, put USA across the chest of UK's basketball team, bc they dang sure aren't from Kentucky. You can't cheer for UK and ignore that, yet use that as validity or lack of, to nullify Louisville's Football success."

I've been trying to figure out why Florida must have just not been "up" for the game. ( A reason some fans of other teams have given for Louisville's win). Seems to me if they weren't "up" before the game, at the minimum they would have been "up"for by midway through the first quarter.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner

^^^^ I agree. However, I think they were up for the game. They were absolutely hitting Louisville right and left. Problem for Florida was, Louisville fought back. And we all know that bullies (Florida) don't like people to fight back. When bullies pick on people who aren't afraid to fight back and/or aren't afraid of getting their butt kicked, that puts a sense of fear in a bully.

Louisville just flat out kicked their tail, and it could have been a lot worse.

^^^^ I agree. However, I think they were up for the game. They were absolutely hitting Louisville right and left. Problem for Florida was, Louisville fought back. And we all know that bullies (Florida) don't like people to fight back. When bullies pick on people who aren't afraid to fight back and/or aren't afraid of getting their butt kicked, that puts a sense of fear in a bully.

Louisville just flat out kicked their tail, and it could have been a lot worse.

That's been my argument. Florida didn't seem complacent to me at all.

I agree that FL was up for the game. They hit as well as any team I've seen this year. I think as the game went on they became more and more demoralized when it became apparent Louisville could take their best shots and hit back harder.

I'd take both.

For the record, I have equal amounts of UK/UL/WKU stuff. I'm more of a fan of the state when it comes to the big picture, and over the last few years, I've become just as objective when watching them play each other (however, WKU takes the top spot). The UK/UL game this year, I don't think I cheered or got irritated one time, for either.

Strange, I know. I'll give credit when it's due, but also point out the ugly, hidden truths that are there that fail to be seen (or realized, whichever).

The reason I'd take both is simply because, a Final Four and/or National Championship in basketball bodes well for just basketball in the state. However, a Sugar Bowl win over Florida (a Kentucky team @ that) bodes well for football growth in this state. So, in my opinion, basketball and football (most importantly to me), both, won in our state.

While your sentiments mirror my own very closely, you dodged the question. If you HAD to pick one, which would it be? Can't pick both as everyone would agree on that.

I agree that FL was up for the game. They hit as well as any team I've seen this year. I think as the game went on they became more and more demoralized when it became apparent Louisville could take their best shots and hit back harder.

Honestly, I think it came down to Coach Strong better preparing the Cards for what Florida would bring. Not sure that Florida could prepare for what the Cards brought. I certainly have seen glimpses throughout the season, but that was the first complete game I've seen them play at the level they hinted at in the regular season.