December 2, 201213 yr UK will get better, but not as much as some fans are predicting/thinking. I'm with you 100%. I keep reading threads about the '10 team struggling but this team has a completely different makeup. I'll be happy if they make the second weekend of the tournament.
December 2, 201213 yr I'm with you 100%. I keep reading threads about the '10 team struggling but this team has a completely different makeup. I'll be happy if they make the second weekend of the tournament. Yep.
December 2, 201213 yr Anyone who thinks that Goodwin and Poythress are going to being walking onto Rupp's floor next year as anything other than the "Y" are foolish.
December 2, 201213 yr I'm with you 100%. I keep reading threads about the '10 team struggling but this team has a completely different makeup. I'll be happy if they make the second weekend of the tournament. I'll be glad if they just make the tournament.
December 2, 201213 yr During the last couple of years Cal proved he was a great recruiter and pretty good coach. His players at UK have been so good that his ability to coach them up has been a bit overshadowed. This year presents the opportunity for him to coach pretty good players into something special. If this team makes a run in March, Cal's stature as a coach may be raised more than his accomplishments of last year.
December 2, 201213 yr I was standing on the edge of the Big Mac bridge today after the loss. Thought long and hard. Decided to give this team another chance.
December 2, 201213 yr During the last couple of years Cal proved he was a great recruiter and pretty good coach. His players at UK have been so good that his ability to coach them up has been a bit overshadowed. This year presents the opportunity for him to coach pretty good players into something special. If this team makes a run in March, Cal's stature as a coach may be raised more than his accomplishments of last year. 100% on the money.
December 2, 201213 yr Anyone who thinks that Goodwin and Poythress are going to being walking onto Rupp's floor next year as anything other than the "Y" are foolish. I agree. I really see no one staying other than Wiltjer (because he is sucking right now). Goodwin, Poythress, and Noel are all gone. Next year is loaded and there is no way they stay unless they really fall off the wagon so to speak.
December 2, 201213 yr I'm not ready to give up on this one, but certainly that is the hope, that most of these guys come back. Because next year looks like a monster with or without anyone else holding over form this team. The myth of last year's team is that it proved that it can be done with all freshmen. Obviously the frosh were the headliners, but it did require Darius Miller, Terrence Jones, and Doron Lamb as well. There's not a single veteran of any quality at this point. Wiltjer just isn't living up to any expectations, and Harrow looks raw. This. The season is way too young. The question I keep pondering is, "Who will be the next Jorts?" I don't know why, but I believe there is one on this team.
December 2, 201213 yr The Cats are young and have some growing to do. Hopefully they figure it out by March... Noel plays hard but just doesn't have the offensive skills yet to do anything outside of 3 or 4 feet from the rim. He catches the ball at the free throw line, runs into 2 or 3 defenders and throws one off the shot clock. Harrow looked solid during the second half. If he continues to get more confident, things will improve. Goodwin isn't a point guard. The kid wants to score. Don't see much Tyreke Evans in his game. Wiltjer has to find his shot. If not, he'll be coming off the bench again this season. Alex P reminds me of Jones during his freshman year. He looks like a lottery pick one game, doesn't show up the next. This team has TERRIBLE hands. They really struggle holding onto rebounds. The pieces are there for this team to be solid.
December 2, 201213 yr Anyone who thinks that Goodwin and Poythress are going to being walking onto Rupp's floor next year as anything other than the "Y" are foolish. I agree. However I think the odds are great that Cauley-Stein will be back along with Wiltjer (who may be able to go back to being a compliment player rather than one that HAS to carry). That will provide some experience and help this team does not have at present.
December 2, 201213 yr By no means am I giving up on this team, and any fan who considers themselves a true fan would think the same. UK will not have the gaudy record this year and we knew that. This team will take some more time to develop, but I still think they are capable of making it a good season. I have a problem with this team's attitude though. I saw a quote from WCS saying something along the lines about they came in riding the coat tails of lat years team. Which I could agree with. This team seems to have not fully bought in to what Cal is preaching yet. They don't play defense aggressively, they are not in the right places on offense, and no one can hit the broad side of a barn. With time they have the tools to improve, but they will need to be fully bought in to what Cal has to say before that happens. Finally, I think it is imperative for Goodwin to be at the 2--he does not look comfortable at the one at all. He essentially looks lost when trying to get the team in the offensive sets they are supposed to be in. For this team to go places Goodwin has to be at the 2, and Harrow has to be the facilitator pg Cal wants him to be. I like the pick and roll stuff they ran late in the 2nd half with Harrow, I think he just needs to get more minutes to get back in the zone.
December 2, 201213 yr I was standing on the edge of the Big Mac bridge today after the loss. Thought long and hard. Decided to give this team another chance. UK fans are the best and they are the worst all at the same time. Crazy.
December 2, 201213 yr How much of a leash does Wiltjer have left? When you can only do one thing and everything else is a liability and that one thing isn't working you can't play.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.