Bluebird retrospective

Here is a question for those who have followed the program closely: how did Highlands' defense this year compare to HHS defenses of the past few years? I got the sense from some during the season/postseason that Highlands' offense was very good, but that the defense (particularly the run defense) was not as solid as in years past.

In terms of the comment about Highlands being perceived as "down" in 2012, I wonder if that Highlands-Trinity scrimmage blowout perhaps put the thought in many people's minds that HHS had fallen off some from last year?

This year's defense was average at best for HHS. The offense masked the defensive issues. The defense gave up over 20 pts. per game. Against the better teams HHS played, the HHS defense was vulnerable, giving up over 35 to Scott County, 28 to Lexington Catholic (backup sophomore QB), and 38 to Elder (who frankly dominated HHS with the run). The good news is that the HHS defense is pretty young (started two sophomores) and will return a lot next year. Also, the defense really stepped up in the state championship game. I don't think too many thought this defense was capable of pitching a shutout against Collins. The defense also stepped up in the CovCath playoff game, holding CovCath to only 14 points (and only 7 after CovCath scored on its opening possession). The defense really came up big in that game when the offense did not put up the numbers it normally does.

Let me see. How many kick offs were returned for touchdowns? You might want to back those out of the average per game. Also, how many times did we fumble, throw an interception and have to defend a short field? A couple that come to mind. Cov Cath's first touchdown in the first game. The Ryle game we turned the ball over I think it was 4 times in the first quarter and all inside the 30 and the defense was on the field 90% of the first half and only gave up one TD. Additionally in the Elder game we were winning 17 - 10 in the 3rd Quarter and the turnover gave Elder the ball on a short field and they scored. From there the momementum turned to Elder and yes we had trouble stopping them as did Colerain and Moeller. And finally how many TD's were given up by the JV in the second half?

Not saying they were all world but people on here act like they were horrible when they held CCH to 21 and 13 points when they were averaging 50 plus per game etc, etc. Collins had never been shut out in school history. End result is they played well when they had to and achieved their goal.

Let me see. How many kick offs were returned for touchdowns? You might want to back those out of the average per game. Also, how many times did we fumble, throw an interception and have to defend a short field? A couple that come to mind. Cov Cath's first touchdown in the first game. The Ryle game we turned the ball over I think it was 4 times in the first quarter and all inside the 30 and the defense was on the field 90% of the first half and only gave up one TD. Additionally in the Elder game we were winning 17 - 10 in the 3rd Quarter and the turnover gave Elder the ball on a short field and they scored. From there the momementum turned to Elder and yes we had trouble stopping them as did Colerain and Moeller. And finally how many TD's were given up by the JV in the second half?

Not saying they were all world but people on here act like they were horrible when they held CCH to 21 and 13 points when they were averaging 50 plus per game etc, etc. Collins had never been shut out in school history. End result is they played well when they had to and achieved their goal.

I don't know if you are talking about me but I did not say anything about the HHS defense being 'horrible". I said they were average for HHS...and they were. They were not horrible but they were not great either for the most part. They were great against CovCath in the playoff game and in the finals against Collins.