Mr. Basketball 2006

Kevin Lubrano from Dixie is having a solid season. I am not sure of his stats, but he has been putting up some impressive numbers recently. Are juniors allowed to receive this award?

What are his numbers? Unless I have been missing a whole lot about Dixie's team this year, I don't think he will be in the running.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget, Mr. Basketball is voted on. Regardless of who the best player is, the winner is going to be the player who has the most voting support. Walt Allen of South Laurel has so much support because of his team's high profile. AJ Slaughter of Shelby will make a strong push, and I'd like to see Robert Buckner of Eastern get some strong consideration. Most of the other major contenders have not gotten out in the state and made statements to earn votes. Antonio Owens could get some support, but it'll be very hard to overtake Allen.

Here are my points.

1. Walt Allen is good. But he is an even classier (if thats a word) person. And a winner.

2. Dunnaway is a great scorer. Probably the best in the state. My favorite player to watch.

3. AJ Slaughter is having a great season and possibly the best. His team will win the 8th Region this year and his Sweet 16 performance could give him Mr. Basketball.

Buckner from Eastern in my opinion is the most deserving, he is Mr. Everything for Eastern and he in my opinion is the best on ball defender in the state, he also is playing on a team that without him would be mediocre at best, this is just my opinion however. In order my list goes like this:Buckner-Eastern, Dunaway-Clay, Allen-So. Laurel, Mack-UHA, Owens-Boyd Co.

Kevin Lubrano from Dixie is having a solid season. I am not sure of his stats, but he has been putting up some impressive numbers recently. Are juniors allowed to receive this award?

He is know where near one of the best players in the state. He is not even the best player on his team. He is not even top 15 in the 9th region.

To answer the other question, only seniors can win Mr. Basketball.

Who is he? I'm a huge 9th Region fan and I don't even know of this kid. He's not even in the top 30 players in the region.

Here are my points.

1. Walt Allen is good. But he is an even classier (if thats a word) person. And a winner.

2. Dunnaway is a great scorer. Probably the best in the state. My favorite player to watch.

3. AJ Slaughter is having a great season and possibly the best. His team will win the 8th Region this year and his Sweet 16 performance could give him Mr. Basketball.

Should be Dunaway's to lose

Slaughter is a good player, but no Mr. Basketball

Here are my points.

....good list and depending on how well Dunnaway, Buckner, Slaughter, Mack and Allen do early in the Districts/Regional, will give them an upper hand perhaps over the other.

Slaughter is the most talented player in the state of kentucky, hands down. He can do it all. He is athletic, can score from inside/outside, handles it very well, and it good on the defensive end. Horn didnt sign him for no reason. Think about it, Walt Allen is going where? and Slaughter is going to WKU. I think that says enough about whos the better talent. Dunaway, i am not sure who is looking at him at this point but he will play somewhere.

Slaughter is the most talented player in the state of kentucky, hands down. He can do it all. He is athletic, can score from inside/outside, handles it very well, and it good on the defensive end. Horn didnt sign him for no reason. Think about it, Walt Allen is going where? and Slaughter is going to WKU. I think that says enough about whos the better talent. Dunaway, i am not sure who is looking at him at this point but he will play somewhere.
....Not necessarily agree with this statement, because most coaches recruit to needs as opposed to best overall player.

If a school needs a #3 small forward, than they look for one. If they need a #2 shooting guard, they look for one...doesn't always mean the school name, being the better talent.

Also the school Allen signed with, is moving to D1 level...

Mr. Basketball isn't decided on talent if it was Slaughter would win it hands down. It is more of a popularity contest in which coaches vote for the player they like the best or have seen play. As far as overall skill Slaughter is better than any of the other candidates. Allen will win because he is the sentimental favorite and all the schools in the upper regions will vote for him while the other schools will waiver between Dunaway and Slaughter. Talent level alone should decide this award but it doesn't and never has. I agree coaches do recruit based on need but if Allen was truly that skilled of a player, meaning more than Slaughter, coaches would be all over him. On that same note Slaughter and Dunaway, in high school, play the same position making that argument almost void since Slaughter was obviously recruited over him. All that being said we have already seen that the Mr. Basketball Award doesn't really mean much at the next level.