Officiating (basketball and other sports)

This thread came to mind while reading about rule changes on the Football Forum...What kind of grade would you give HS officials in your area? Let's stick with basketball, football, baseball (softball), and soccer.

In Jefferson County for me:

basketball: B+ (though the top ones are VERY good)

football: B-

baseball: C+

soccer: D

Also, just a gut feeling, but it seems like there are some very good football officials out in the state that travel to Louisville for playoff games. Out-of-town basketball officials don't seem to be as good. Keep in mind that this is a big generalization and I certainly don't want this thread to insult/upset individual officials as I truly appreciate their work and dedication (I am not one who screams at them during games). I think everyone would agree, however, that some individuals and regions are simply better than others when it comes to officiating.

Lee County here:

Basketball: B+ I think they are some good ones and some ones I'd rather not see again; but overall I think the overwhelming majority do the best that they can.

Football: Umm F *LOL* (Lee has no football team so...)

Baseball: B (But IMO baseball is a little harder with varying strike zones and baserunning and the like)

Softball: B (same as above)

Soccer: Same as football unfortunately; though a little league team has opened up here so perhaps it will catch on.

Lee County here:

Basketball: B+ I think they are some good ones and some ones I'd rather not see again; but overall I think the overwhelming majority do the best that they can.

Football: Umm F *LOL* (Lee has no football team so...)

Baseball: B (But IMO baseball is a little harder with varying strike zones and baserunning and the like)

Softball: B (same as above)

Soccer: Same as football unfortunately; though a little league team has opened up here so perhaps it will catch on.

Baseball is can be a bit easier in one respect...many times you know exactly where the play is going to occur (a force play at first or the ball being thrown to a base, runner is coming in, and you can really focus on the tag); in basketball you might have a three-on-two, and you don't know if the player with the ball will pass left, pass right, or keep it himself...you thus have to be ready for contact in three different areas, and it happens VERY quickly (while baseball plays often develop over the course of a few seconds.)

I do agree that strike zones are a tough issue...Consistancy throughout a game (even if the zone itself is too high or too low) is the most important thing IMO.

Baseball is can be a bit easier in one respect...many times you know exactly where the play is going to occur (a force play at first or the ball being thrown to a base, runner is coming in, and you can really focus on the tag); in basketball you might have a three-on-two, and you don't know if the player with the ball will pass left, pass right, or keep it himself...you thus have to be ready for contact in three different areas, and it happens VERY quickly (while baseball plays often develop over the course of a few seconds.)

I do agree that strike zones are a tough issue...Consistancy throughout a game (even if the zone itself is too high or too low) is the most important thing IMO.

Absolutely. Both sports are difficult to officiate. Goodness sakes, (though during the heat of a game I like to think I can do better) I couldn't do better than the officials. In basketball you do have to be ready for a play either direction and a lot gets missed because of the quickness of the game.

I agree consistency is the key, but sometimes I think it would be easier if there were a box like there usually is in video games. haha. The split second decisions about whether the tag was simultaneous with the foot touching base or whether the tag came before or after have got to be some of the more difficult calls to make. Or at least for me. I know from watching both at the high school games and on television with instant replay and slow motion I still have a difficult time with whether a player beat the tag. But that's just my two cents.

Another quick point...in football you can wait a couple of seconds to decide if you want to throw a flag or not. In baseball & basketball you don't have that luxury - you have to make a call immediately.

Same thing in soccer... plays develope quickly in soccer and a split second decision can make all the difference to allow a play to go on or to stop it.

Maybe I spend too much time on the football forum, but this is one heck of a polite discussion about sports officials. Cheers to you all.

Here's my 2 cents on a couple of your points:

1. Just like everything else in life, sports officiating requires a small amount of talent and a large dose of dedication. And of course, there is no substitute for experience. We have talented, dedicated and experienced officials from every sport in every corner of our state. While it is given that there are individual officials in every sport who stand out above the rest, I don't think it's fair to say that any particular region is good or bad as it relates to officiating as a whole. Some individuals are already very good at what they do, and some are gaining experience in their journey to becoming very good--no matter where they happen to live. And sometimes, maybe, a fan's perspective is too biased to accurately guage an official's performance. Sometimes, even, the folks in the bleachers may become "misinformed" about what's really going on down on the playing surface. (Thanks in advance for remaining polite after those last statements.)

2. The fundamentals of officiating transcend all sports: judgement, positioning, rules knowledge and officiating mechanics, with a varying degree of athleticism also required. Intangibles include the ability to communicate and manage people effectively. The emphasis on any one of the fundamentals is weighted differently for each and every sport: Soccer requires extreme running endurance with the added pressure of relatively simple rules judgement; Baseball is heavily weighted on positioning and consistent judgement (do I also have to mention that everybody's grandmother is an experienced closet umpire?); Football officiating requires years to master because the rules and mechanics are maddeningly complex (many fans don't realize that NFL, NCAA and highschool football rules are very different). And Basketball officiating is best done by those who've played the game, more so than any other sport, due to the quick judgement decisions required of the officials and the impressive athletic level of the average player.

3. It is reasonable to expect a relative competency level for highschool varsity sports officials. However, whether you cheer us or boo us, please remember that it is unfair to presume a proficiency comparison between a highschool sports official and a professional on a national TV broadcast. We participate for the benefit of the kids and are generally pretty good; they get paid well to be perfect (or they get fired).

(Please be aware that a shortage of officials exists in a number of sports, so I strongly encourage all of you to consider joining the officiating ranks in whatever sport you choose. PM me and I'll show you how to participate.)

offside

Officiating is a thankless task, where you are often unappreciated and most likely, blamed by someone for the outcome.

I personally feel that at sporting events, the names of the officials should never be announced via a pa system, as that promotes fans/parents to refer to these people by names, when they see them in a public or private setting, even if that means invading their privacy while with their families.

High School officials, have jobs and some work for the love, while others may be supplementing their income but time will show that....they WILL make mistakes, as do players, coaches, scorekeepers, and rowdy fans....the only difference being, no one is berating that group when they make mistakes.

Keep this thought in mind....with total time played, time of possession, chances each team has in a sporting event.

Baseball - play 7 innings, 21 outs and probably 30+ at-bats/fielding chances

Football - play 4 quarters, probably 40+ possessions/defensive chances

Basketball - play 4 quarters, probably 50+ shots/ ft's and defensive chances

....if you lose by 1, on that last call late in the game, where you blame the officials....did you still not have other chances to affect the outcome.