Most Influential Changes of the last 10 years.

What is the most influential change to high school football in the last 10 years?

For me, it is without a doubt the proliferation of field turf. This has allowed many programs to go away from run oriented offenses to relying on space and speed as field conditions will not impact a team.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nationwide? Not sure. I'd have to do some research. Probably lean towards turf fields as you mentioned.

Statewide? The expansion from 4 classes to 6 classes. Having 6 State Champions has added to the legacy and prestige of many schools that may not have other wise won a championship. It has also watered down the playoff field tremendously as it seems like everybody makes the playoffs except for a few teams.

I would have to say AAU basketball and Fall Baseball leagues. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but I have to say that I think these things have affected football greatly. Kids now have much more options in the fall.

State level: without a doubt, the "no competition in June thingy. Just don't understand how you can do that two months before the season starts. And, the bringing back of Spring practice, great for high school football in my opinion.

I would have to say all the new safety and health rules/training/paperwork etc. All of this is for good, however a football coach is no longer just a football coach. In some areas, your the team doctor, trainer, and there is just so much more to it than the play on the field. It has totally changed the preparation for the game.

How did that impact KY football?

While it may not be seen yet I do believe that the best teams in the state will employ a two-platoon system. IMO it is the way to go. It will soon be impossible for a team that plays players both ways to compete with a school using the two-platoon system.

While it may not be seen yet I do believe that the best teams in the state will employ a two-platoon system. IMO it is the way to go. It will soon be impossible for a team that plays players both ways to compete with a school using the two-platoon system.

I guess I have different criterion for something being influential. Most schools can't go platoon. CCH does. HHS does. T does and others but you need numbers and talent which most do not possess.

To be influential I'm saying it has to be something that helps a large number of high school teams or changes the way the game is played across a state.

Coach Beatty and two-platoon at HHS doesn't do it for me.

Nationwide? Not sure. I'd have to do some research. Probably lean towards turf fields as you mentioned.

Statewide? The expansion from 4 classes to 6 classes. Having 6 State Champions has added to the legacy and prestige of many schools that may not have other wise won a championship. It has also watered down the playoff field tremendously as it seems like everybody makes the playoffs except for a few teams.

As someone mentioned to me 6 classes has been a negative impact IMO. I haven't seen the upside other than 2 more state trophies.

I guess I have different criterion for something being influential. Most schools can't go platoon. CCH does. HHS does. T does and others but you need numbers and talent which most do not possess.

To be influential I'm saying it has to be something that helps a large number of high school teams or changes the way the game is played across a state.

Coach Beatty and two-platoon at HHS doesn't do it for me.

I hear you. I think it will be years, maybe even another decade, before the two platoon system takes off like I think and hope it will.

I hear you. I think it will be years, maybe even another decade, before the two platoon system takes off like I think and hope it will.

Why do you think there will be more kids playing? I don't see rosters growing.

As someone mentioned to me 6 classes has been a negative impact IMO. I haven't seen the upside other than 2 more state trophies.

I'm on the fence. I see both sides. At the end of the day I hate the first round of the playoffs as they currently are. There are always a few upsets here and there but overall the first round is garbage. I do enjoy different schools finally getting a championship but it is definitely a lot easier to accomplish that goal.

And of course the inevitable threads of speculation with no right or wrong answer rule the day in December.

I'd be fine with 5 classes but I would welcome 4 classes again with the playoffs being more exclusive and having an elevated importance.