Covington Catholic 10 Beechwood 0 (5 innings) 35 District Seeding game

Maile in the 2nd inning hits the ball off the top of the right field fence but the bounces back into the field for a double! In the 3rd he hits a single and earns a RBI! In the 4th Ben goes yard for his 7th HR of the season as he hit it out over the fence at about the 360 mark.

Maile threw a complete 5 innings 6 hit shut out while walking only 1 and striking out 5 in throwing only 61 pitches.

Maile lowered his ERA to 0.92 while earning his 7 win against 0 losses.

CovCath improves with this all important 35th seeding game win to 25-2 and next plays on Saturday May 5 in the Coach Krumps Classic vs. Cincinnati Elder (11am) and then Dixie after the Elder game.

Plays of the game.

1st inning Beechwood at bat

Gohs with a man on hits a towering pop up behind the plate that Jake Lankheit goes back and catches while literally almost climbing the backstop. Out standing play by the senior CovCath Catcher, that most HS catchers will not make!

3rd inning Beechwood at bat

Gohs hits a single

Suchawek hits into a 6-3 DP. Very nice play by Seattle Stein.

5th inning Beechwood at bat

Two outs

Rengering gets on via a walk

Gohs hit a double that one hops the wall

Beechwoods 3rd Base coach sends the speedy Rengering home

BUT Reese (8) to Stein (6) to Lankheit (2) tags out the Beechwood runner at the plate to end the Beechwood inning.

As once again, as I have said all year long, Pitching and Defense will win you games this season.

To me the hustle play of the game!

CovCath 4th inning

Mader goes 9 one out.

Stein bunts the ball up the first base line and the Beechwood 1st baseman fields the ball and then attempts to tag out the speedy Stein but Seattle in a huge hustle play slides head first past the Beechwood 1st baseman attempted tag and Stein is on 1st with a single. CovCath then goes on to score 5 runs and it all started by a bunt hustle play by Seattle Stein.

I was extremely disappointed in the bantering and name calling from the CCH kids (fans) at the game. I guess that is something that is tolerated by the parents of parochial kids. Don't know why. Some CCH parents seemed to think it was funny. I'm sure glad I'm not part of that!

As for the game, CCH is definitely the team to beat in the 9th. I said it before the season in another thread and I'm saying it again here....they will win the 9th this year! And OLD GUY, get your prescription checked.....Lankheit was a good ten feet from the backstop....although it still was a good catch, heck anytime a catcher catches a foul ball it's a good catch!

I don't believe Beechwood has had a season with less than 20 wins since Meyerhoff became the coach about 10 years ago. If they don't get their act together, that streak is in serious jeopardy.

To me VOR they just don't seem to gel well as a team. I am certanly not putting that on the coach as I think he is one of the best. Just an odd team.

Does anyone have any information on how Beechwoods #8 Bergfield is doing? Hopefully all he has is a huge headache in the morning and nothing worse than that!

Have only seen one other player get hit in his head by his own foul tip, in all the years of my playing or watching baseball. Just not a play you see, having a baseball player go down from a foul tip off his own bat.

Hopefully he is fine!

Does anyone have any information on how Beechwoods #8 Bergfield is doing? Hopefully all he has is a huge headache in the morning and nothing worse than that!

Have only seen one other player get hit in his head by his own foul tip, in all the years of my playing or watching baseball. Just not a play you see, having a baseball player go down from a foul tip off his own bat.

Hopefully he is fine!

Don't know how he is, but he did return for the end of the game and was out there shaking hands with the CovCath players.

The bantering might have been self inflicted, since the pitcher had been posting insults on Facebook toward CCH players and students for months. If he didn't want the heat he would be well advised to watch what he says. Unless you have alot more game, than I saw from him.

The bantering might have been self inflicted, since the pitcher had been posting insults on Facebook toward CCH players and students for months. If he didn't want the heat he would be well advised to watch what he says. Unless you have alot more game, than I saw from him.

I will add that it was coming from the students on the Beechwood side as well....almost as much....

....that is, until the Colonels jumped out to a 5 run leave, then most of their student section left.

Don't know how he is, but he did return for the end of the game and was out there shaking hands with the CovCath players.

I was there when he walked in......He literally walked in when Schriever scored the 10th run and the game ended. He stopped in his tracks, sighed in disappointment, lowered his head and joined the end of the congrat line. He said he was fine and it looked like he was hurrying in to lace up his spikes and try to get back in. He had a nice mouse under his eye.

Seems like a tough, competitive kid. Good luck to him.