Bishop Brossart 8 Highlands 2

Death Valley at Highlands High School has been more like “Boot Hill” for Bishop Brossart fast pitch teams over the years. The games have always been close and a couple of times the Lady 'Stangs lost there. That was not to be today as freshman pitcher Karlie Shackelford not only held the Lady Birds to five hits but had a monster game offensively with three hits and five rbis to lead her team to an 8-2 win at Highlands. Bishop Brossart is now 18-6 while Highlands falls to 5-13. The win also keeps Brossart undefeated in the NKAC Division II race.

The green and white jumped on the board in the first with Erica Riedeman and Maria Greis banging out two of the team's 15 hits for the game. Then with two outs Shackelford drilled a pitch to center for a two run double to make it 2-0.

In the third Erica Riedeman and Molly Williams smacked singles and then with two out it was the “Shack Attack” once again as she smacked another shot to make it 4-0. Later, after Highlands closed the gap to 4-2 when Brossart made both of their two errors of the game, they roared back again in the fifth. Tricia Kramer lined a single and Molly Williams doubled to plate Kramer. Then for the third straight time Shackelford delivered to make it 6-2 with her fifth rbi of the game.

Brossart snuffed some early rallies to shut down Highlands and picked up two more insurance runs in the seventh. Williams led off with a triple and then scored on a Maria Greis single. Later, with two outs again, Allie Anstead plated Greis with a laser to center to make it 8-2.

Graybill had two big hits for Highlands but a nice play in the field by thirdbaseman Gretchen Trumbo stopped a rally in the 5th to retire the excellent eighthgrader. Trumbo went to her right near the line on a knee straightend up and made a strike to Greis to retire her. The game ended on a strikeout with Graybill on deck.

Shackelford, who improves to 13-5 on the season, walked noen and struck out 2. She finished with 3 for 4 and 5 rbis along with a pair of doubles. Molly Williams also pounded out 3 hits, while Erica Riedeman and Allie Anstead had two apiece.

In a shortended JV game because of the weather, Brossart beat Highlands 13-1 as Mary Kay Reilly won her 9th game. Amanda Lloyd had three hits and 4 rbis along with a double, while Riley Orth had three hits as well. Lauren Cookendorfer, Caroline Woeste and Amanda Graus each had two hits. In the easy win.

Karlie Shackelford

shack.jpg

Death Valley at Highlands High School has been more like “Boot Hill” for Bishop Brossart fast pitch teams over the years. The games have always been close and a couple of times the Lady 'Stangs lost there. That was not to be today as freshman pitcher Karlie Shackelford not only held the Lady Birds to five hits but had a monster game offensively with three hits and five rbis to lead her team to an 8-2 win at Highlands. Bishop Brossart is now 18-6 while Highlands falls to 5-13. The win also keeps Brossart undefeated in the NKAC Division II race.

The green and white jumped on the board in the first with Erica Riedeman and Maria Greis banging out two of the team's 15 hits for the game. Then with two outs Shackelford drilled a pitch to center for a two run double to make it 2-0.

In the third Erica Riedeman and Molly Williams smacked singles and then with two out it was the “Shack Attack” once again as she smacked another shot to make it 4-0. Later, after Highlands closed the gap to 4-2 when Brossart made both of their two errors of the game, they roared back again in the fifth. Tricia Kramer lined a single and Molly Williams doubled to plate Kramer. Then for the third straight time Shackelford delivered to make it 6-2 with her fifth rbi of the game.

Brossart snuffed some early rallies to shut down Highlands and picked up two more insurance runs in the seventh. Williams led off with a triple and then scored on a Maria Greis single. Later, with two outs again, Allie Anstead plated Greis with a laser to center to make it 8-2.

Graybill had two big hits for Highlands but a nice play in the field by thirdbaseman Gretchen Trumbo stopped a rally in the 5th to retire the excellent eighthgrader. Trumbo went to her right near the line on a knee straightend up and made a strike to Greis to retire her. The game ended on a strikeout with Graybill on deck.

Shackelford, who improves to 13-5 on the season, walked noen and struck out 2. She finished with 3 for 4 and 5 rbis along with a pair of doubles. Molly Williams also pounded out 3 hits, while Erica Riedeman and Allie Anstead had two apiece.

In a shortended JV game because of the weather, Brossart beat Highlands 13-1 as Mary Kay Reilly won her 9th game. Amanda Lloyd had three hits and 4 rbis along with a double, while Riley Orth had three hits as well. Lauren Cookendorfer, Caroline Woeste and Amanda Graus each had two hits. In the easy win.

Karlie Shackelford

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36422[/ATTACH]

Wow! Have now seen the bgh magic pin in action. Have heard rumors, but see it first hand tonight. First two runs did score on a hit, but after two errors, not hits! A slow hit ground ball right at our third baseman and a slow hit ball to our pitcher are not really hits in my book. Brossart did hit the ball later and deserved the win, but I do see my first taste of creative scoring.

Wow! Have now seen the bgh magic pin in action. Have heard rumors, but see it first hand tonight. First two runs did score on a hit, but after two errors, not hits! A slow hit ground ball right at our third baseman and a slow hit ball to our pitcher are not really hits in my book. Brossart did hit the ball later and deserved the win, but I do see my first taste of creative scoring.

Were they "booted"??? If not they are hits, doesn't matter how hard they are hit. Just as a "hard" hit ball that a fielder "boots" is an ERROR, not a hit, as I have seen. I have also seen singles that turn into doubles or triples because of throws going to the plate and the batter takes an extra base on the throw. Just like the Queen song....."It's a Kind of Magic". :lol:

Karlie Shackelford

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36422[/ATTACH]

Ok now i know its time for BGH to go out to the pasture for good, and why no one really cares what he has to say about scoreing. The first two runs by BBHs were on 0 hits and a one of many flat out bad call by an umpire on first who looked like he needed a cane out there when Coffee through a bullet to Hollingsworth on first for the 3rd out of the inning and the umpire flat out missed it. Next girl hit a nice shot to center scoreing 2.

All the birds runs scored were on solid hits and no errors as BGH has said. Not that it matters when you only score 2 runs vrs 8 its still a loss. BBHS hit the ball well last night were people werent. Again unlike the birds who runners in scoreing postion several times in the game and could not get them in.

Ok now i know its time for BGH to go out to the pasture for good, and why no one really cares what he has to say about scoreing. The first two runs by BBHs were on 0 hits and a one of many flat out bad call by an umpire on first who looked like he needed a cane out there when Coffee through a bullet to Hollingsworth on first for the 3rd out of the inning and the umpire flat out missed it. Next girl hit a nice shot to center scoreing 2.

All the birds runs scored were on solid hits and no errors as BGH has said. Not that it matters when you only score 2 runs vrs 8 its still a loss. BBHS hit the ball well last night were people werent. Again unlike the birds who runners in scoreing postion several times in the game and could not get them in.

I agree. This is why their pitchers always have such great ERAs and they always have multiple hitters at the top in NKY leading in batting average. :idunno:

Anyway congrats to Brossart on the win. Always tough to win in Death Valley.

:deadhorse: Jealousy. The same people cry who thought Brossart would be losing after Miller and Griffith left. They just reload. 18-6 with just two seniors and a freshman pitcher. The hits keep coming.

Congrats to Brossart for reloading and winning. I have read alot of Brossart threads and a common point that comes up in many of them is the manipulation and inaccurate reporting of stats. A hits a hit, an error is an error, an earned run is an earned run, etc. so why would a coach with any integrity want to report false stats just to make his players look good? What leason is being taught by the coach and what are the players learning from he manipulation? Pretty sad IMO.

Congrats to Brossart! I will say I have looked at Brossart's wins the last 6 to 8 years, and they have won about 20 plus games each and every year. Is there some scorebook magic going on? Probably, but I can say there is some magic going on about 95% of every team. Scorebook magic or not, that doesn't win you games, and they have proved they win games. Our team (ND) is starting to win games. I would love to be that consistent in winning. Their schedule is just as tough as about any team out there, there are some that have tougher, but they play some very good teams. Im backing the BGH on this one! Be proud of your team, we are hoping to be consistent in the win category as well. We are on our way! Go Pandas!

Congrats to Brossart! I will say I have looked at Brossart's wins the last 6 to 8 years, and they have won about 20 plus games each and every year. Is there some scorebook magic going on? Probably, but I can say there is some magic going on about 95% of every team. Scorebook magic or not, that doesn't win you games, and they have proved they win games. Our team (ND) is starting to win games. I would love to be that consistent in winning. Their schedule is just as tough as about any team out there, there are some that have tougher, but they play some very good teams. Im backing the BGH on this one! Be proud of your team, we are hoping to be consistent in the win category as well. We are on our way! Go Pandas!

That's because NDA finally has a program and now consistancy...they have a foundation built over the last few years, depth at each position and good athletes who are not playing other sports. No secret here, this team will just get better.

:deadhorse: Jealousy. The same people cry who thought Brossart would be losing after Miller and Griffith left. They just reload. 18-6 with just two seniors and a freshman pitcher. The hits keep coming.

Bottom line (hold on) I agree with the BGH on this one someone has done a good job building a winner out there. Doesn't matter who the coach is skimming the book and cheating on batting average and era. If BBHS scores just 1 more run then yours they win you lose. Not matter how much I hate it they have won 18 and HHS was a victim Monday night. Good job and good luck.

Well...it is aggravating when hits are given in place of errors. Our pitcher pitched a no-hitter at Brossart this year, yet BGH gave one girl two hits where errors occurred And, I know that to be true because I was watching the game. Unfortunately, you probably weren't there because you were at NDA's game, right? :D I want to know what my kid's true batting average is...the true average, without a magic pen. Don't you? So, how is it justified to give hits when they aren't earned? That's what's perplexing and a little laughable. Just sayin...

Well...it is aggravating when hits are given in place of errors. Our pitcher pitched a no-hitter at Brossart this year, yet BGH gave one girl two hits where errors occurred And, I know that to be true because I was watching the game. Unfortunately, you probably weren't there because you were at NDA's game, right? :D I want to know what my kid's true batting average is...the true average, without a magic pen. Don't you? So, how is it justified to give hits when they aren't earned? That's what's perplexing and a little laughable. Just sayin...

I love the charades some play.

If you look at the stats for greater Cincinnati and NKY between Withrow, NDA and Brossart they have like 12 of the top 40 hitters in the area. I don't know a single thing about any of the girls and I don't want to take anything away from them. Those 3 schools are maybe average to below average overall if you are adding both sides of the river yet they have over 25% of the top hitters in the area, sounds funny to me. Stats are fun but wins and losses are better. A team like Brossart has done great over the years and BGH does a great job at promoting his kids but I would never believe any of his players stats. He can get on here with that dead horse and say people are crazy and maybe we are but it would be cool if everyone kept stats as close to correct as possible.