Dish Network

akw4572

I'm thinking of jumping from Directv to Dish Network to save some coin. I originally went with Direct because of the MLB Extra Innings package, but I now have MLB TV to satisfy that need. I'm a little hesitant because I've hard that sometimes on regional FSN networks, the MLB games are not in HD. That can be a big deal to me, if I don't have the Reds in HD, I won't be a happy camper. If it's 5-6 times a year I can live with that, but if it's a couple times a week, I won't switch. Anyone on here have Dish that can speak in this regard?

I'm thinking of jumping from Directv to Dish Network to save some coin. I originally went with Direct because of the MLB Extra Innings package, but I now have MLB TV to satisfy that need. I'm a little hesitant because I've hard that sometimes on regional FSN networks, the MLB games are not in HD. That can be a big deal to me, if I don't have the Reds in HD, I won't be a happy camper. If it's 5-6 times a year I can live with that, but if it's a couple times a week, I won't switch. Anyone on here have Dish that can speak in this regard?

Is the difference between HD and non HD that big of a thing. I dont think I have ever watching anything in HD so I wouldnt know. All of the Tv's in my house were produced in the early 90's

Is the difference between HD and non HD that big of a thing. I dont think I have ever watching anything in HD so I wouldnt know. All of the Tv's in my house were produced in the early 90's

Yeah, on newer LCD, and the even newer LED TV's there is quite a difference. It would be bothersome to me if it were a couple times a week.

If you would like it to remain not a big deal, don't ever watch anything in HD. There is no going back. If you ever do, you will wonder how you ever watched it in standard definition.

If you would like it to remain not a big deal, don't ever watch anything in HD. There is no going back. If you ever do, you will wonder how you ever watched it in standard definition.

Can you highlight some of the differences between HD and standard.

Can you highlight some of the differences between HD and standard.

The only way to do that would be to encourage you to watch something in HD at a store or friends house, etc. I'd compare it to going from 20/40 vision to 20/10. And that probably doesn't do it justice.

How long have you had DTV AKW? I assume you are out of your contract since you are looking to switch. If you are just looking to save some coin I would call DTV and ask if there was anything they can do for you since you can't "afford" that price anymore.

How long have you had DTV AKW? I assume you are out of your contract since you are looking to switch. If you are just looking to save some coin I would call DTV and ask if there was anything they can do for you since you can't "afford" that price anymore.

I've gone that route, and I can still save about $25 a month for the first 12 months, and get a new Multi Room DVR. DTV's dvr's have gotten so sluggish that it's painful to operate. I like their product, but I like my channel to change when I press a button, and I like to save money. :D That, plus getting MLB TV doesn't tie me to DTV anymore with the baseball package. I've been with direct since I think 2006.

I've gone that route, and I can still save about $25 a month for the first 12 months, and get a new Multi Room DVR. DTV's dvr's have gotten so sluggish that it's painful to operate. I like their product, but I like my channel to change when I press a button, and I like to save money. :D That, plus getting MLB TV doesn't tie me to DTV anymore with the baseball package. I've been with direct since I think 2006.

Then you need basic cable. :D DTV is a little expensive but I love it and will likely never change.

I had Direct before I moved. Where I am how Direct does not offer the local channels so I had to go with Dish. If I could get the local channels with Direct I would go back in a heart beat even if I had to pay $25 dollars more a month. Some of the reasons; the number of available HD channels is more with Direct, is Dish DVR is a royal pain to operate compared to Direct, after about 4 hours of watching without changing the channel (for example a NASCAR pre-race show and race or back to back NFL games) the Dish will shut down and you have to turn it back on. And I could go on and on.

ak, I will figure that out on the Reds but I am pretty sure they are in HD on Dish. What other specific questions do you have about dish?

For the record, I love dish and I find their DVR to be very intuitive.

My only real complaint with dish is when one of their receivers goes down they mail you one, and you have to mail the bad one back to them. Additionally, I think they normally mail out refurbished units so I have had more problems our of their receivers than I think I should have but overall I am pleased.

ak, I will figure that out on the Reds but I am pretty sure they are in HD on Dish. What other specific questions do you have about dish?

For the record, I love dish and I find their DVR to be very intuitive.

My only real complaint with dish is when one of their receivers goes down they mail you one, and you have to mail the bad one back to them. Additionally, I think they normally mail out refurbished units so I have had more problems our of their receivers than I think I should have but overall I am pleased.

No, that's really the determining factor for me. I know it's available in HD, but I can't find out if they're available in HD all the time. If its 10 games a year not in HD, I'm ok with that, but if it's a couple times a week, that matters. If you can look that up, I would appreciate it.

I can't resist ak, I found this:

I don't think you can say "always" about any specific RSN feed with Dish.

It might mostly work, though... but you'd have to hear from someone living in your area also with Dish to be sure.

I know I typically find all the college games I'm supposed to get either on the main channel or an HD ALT feed. I honestly haven't checked as much for pro sports because it is less of an issue for me. NFL doesn't matter for the RSNs... NBA mostly doesn't matter because out Charlotte Bobcats are pretty much historically bad right now... and we don't have an MLB team. I live in Raleigh, so if I wanted to watch Hockey that usually takes care of itself too since that's where the Hurricanes are based.

Every market seems to have its own quirks, though, and hard to guess about which HD games you might miss.

All funny business aside at some point I remember seeing something from Dish saying the majority of the Reds games were going to be in HD but I don't remember the stats and the more I think about it may have been last year.

Also, have you called Dish: 1-800-823-4929

And/or called the Reds?