How many official KHSAA state titles does Saint X have?

jbwill2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kentucky adopted the statewide KHSAA football playoff system in 1959. Since then, how many state titles has Saint X won? I've heard 13 at present. Is this true, or does this number count unofficial "mythical" state titles, pre-1959?

Since the current KHSAA playoff format was adopted in 1959, Saint Xavier has won eleven state football titles (1962, 1969, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1986, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2004).

Prior to this time we also lay claim to two additional titles in 1956 and 1957. In these years there was a one-game playoff (ala BCS) between the top two ranked teams in the state in a post-season game called the Rotary Bowl. In 1956, St. X. defeated Newport 52-7 for the title and in 1957 the Tigers defeated Corbin 47-0 for the title. Although this was not as good of a system as that instituted in 1959, it was a system that awarded the title based on a head-to-head post-season game, so it was real and not mythical. If the NCAA began playoffs in Division 1A this season, would all the national titles awarded in prior years be discarded? I think not.

I had posted lot of this information, with a lot more detail, in a thread about National Ranking last night. However, when I checked BGP this morning, I noted that the entire thread had for some reason been deleted.

If the NCAA began playoffs in Division 1A this season, would all the national titles awarded in prior years be discarded?

Certainly not discarded, but technically every single D 1A championship won thus far has been "mythical," since none have been based upon a true playoff system producing an undisputed champion.

I should not have used "mythical" in my original question... instead I meant "KHSAA-sanctioned" (i.e. from 1959 onward).

Also, I would be very interested in reading Oxnard's previous post, which has now disappeared. Any chance of Oxnard re-posting some of this info???

I think the mythical titles should count. It's JUST high school football, you know.

The problem is that for several of the pre-1959 years, multiple teams will claim mythical state titles. When Saint X won the 4A title last year, no one could possibly deny that they won the title. Same goes for all the football class champions post-1958. It adds a lot of credibility to the title of "state champion," and by counting pre-1959 "titles," you lose some of this credibility.

I think it's very appropriate for a school to say "we have won X-number of official state titles and Y-number of unofficial state championships." By qualifying this, you maintain the integrity of the post-1958 titles.

The problem is that for several of the pre-1959 years, multiple teams will claim mythical state titles. When Saint X won the 4A title last year, no one could possibly deny that they won the title. Same goes for all the football class champions post-1958. It adds a lot of credibility to the title of "state champion," and by counting pre-1959 "titles," you lose some of this credibility.

I think it's very appropriate for a school to say "we have won X-number of official state titles and Y-number of unofficial state championships." By qualifying this, you maintain the integrity of the post-1958 titles.

Why don't we just call two teams who won championships in the same year before 1959 co-champions; a la NCAA D1.

:thumb:

As an LSU alum and fan I also think the co-champ thing stinks. LSU won the title in 2003 via the BCS process but the media darling USC claims some sort of co-champion status. The funny thing was when Auburn accomplished the same thing last year Pete Carrol pointed out the validity of the BCS.

As an LSU alum and fan I also think the co-champ thing stinks. LSU won the title in 2003 via the BCS process but the media darling USC claims some sort of co-champion status. The funny thing was when Auburn accomplished the same thing last year Pete Carrol pointed out the validity of the BCS.

That's exactly why they can't win the BCS this year, because you will hear everyone say, "oooo USC the best team ever.....three in a row....ooooooo" and they would all be wrong because they are stupid and they suck for thinking so.

Since the current KHSAA playoff format was adopted in 1959, Saint Xavier has won eleven state football titles (1962, 1969, 1974, 1975, 1978, 1986, 1992, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2004).

Ox,

You forgot about 2005. 74% of the BGP community can't be wrong...can they? :cool::cool:

Why don't we just call two teams who won championships in the same year before 1959 co-champions; a la NCAA D1.

:thumb:

I don't see what the big deal is... there will be FOUR teams this year claiming a state title. :thumb:

Ox,

You forgot about 2005. 74% of the BGP community can't be wrong...can they? :cool::cool:

When X and t hit the field against each other, one team could be 10-0 and the other 0-10, there still would be no certain victor....such is the history of our series. I will lay claim to 2005 only if and when we win. :cool:

But at least all four are legitimate champions.

These are highschool football titles, not parlimentary elections... I'm not really worried about legitamacy. All I know is that as a Manual fan, I say we have two national titles. You can call them mythical if you want, but they're as real as tuesdays to me.