Wood Or Metal?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The metal bats are certainly a huge advantage, in power, spring and durability, but I would like to see an adoption across the board of wooden bats in ALL levels of play, youth leagues, high school, college and so on.

Drawback to wood, cost, lack of durability, inside pitches are now outs and not bloops, weight and size problems.

I also realize that will NEVER happen but just my personal opinion.

The metal bats are certainly a huge advantage, in power, spring and durability, but I would like to see an adoption across the board of wooden bats in ALL levels of play, youth leagues, high school, college and so on.

Drawback to wood, cost, lack of durability, inside pitches are now outs and not bloops, weight and size problems.

I also realize that will NEVER happen but just my personal opinion.

It would be nice to see a kid make a good pitch and actually get an out, out of it. :thumb:

It would be nice to see a kid make a good pitch and actually get an out, out of it. :thumb:

I spoke with a young man just this week who had had a terrific high school and college career, put up some very impressive numbers with his bat. This young man was drafted 2 years ago and has put up respectable numbers in the minors but very short of what his high school and college numbers were. I just asked out of curiosty how the pitching in the minors compared to that in college. He told me that overall the pitching was better at the minor league level but the biggest factor that he had to deal with was not so much the pitching, but the adjustment from metal to wood.

I spoke with a young man just this week who had had a terrific high school and college career, put up some very impressive numbers with his bat. This young man was drafted 2 years ago and has put up respectable numbers in the minors but very short of what his high school and college numbers were. I just asked out of curiosty how the pitching in the minors compared to that in college. He told me that overall the pitching was better at the minor league level but the biggest factor that he had to deal with was not so much the pitching, but the adjustment from metal to wood.

I've had many guys tell me the same. It's a lot harder than most think. :thumb:

Without question you are correct. The game today has been geared for the offensive player over the last 15-20 years, with new alloy's, bat technology and equipment advancement. The Pitcher's just fade away, while new bats are being massed produced, quicker than you can say "slugging percentage".

I spoke with a young man just this week who had had a terrific high school and college career, put up some very impressive numbers with his bat. This young man was drafted 2 years ago and has put up respectable numbers in the minors but very short of what his high school and college numbers were. I just asked out of curiosity how the pitching in the minors compared to that in college. He told me that overall the pitching was better at the minor league level but the biggest factor that he had to deal with was not so much the pitching, but the adjustment from metal to wood.
You are very correct. A very good or even great high school hitter, that has a good career in college, will certainly struggle in adjusting to the wooden bat.

The swing weight is increased significantly, the handle sizes vary, as will most diameter's of the barrel. A premium must be placed on swinging through the ball, after making initial contact and continually driving.

A lot of these players that are draft-able, play in the Cape Cod leagues or other summer leagues, to transition from metal to wood.

One bat, one material, one uniform code....one happy man, me. :D

$$$$$$
Considering that metal bats only last about a year and a half to 2 years and cost $300.00 and wood bats can be bought for $40.00 I dont think that there is that much more expense. That's about 7 1/2 wood bats to one metal bat.

BTW, I have enjoyed your avatars lately.